Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Like a kid for the first time in a candy store!

Hey y'all! As you can see by the title I'm new! New to everything RV'ing. I'm picking up my new to me 2006 Four Winds Five Thousand 28a tomorrow 5 hours away from me and was hoping for some advice straight away.

It has the Chevy Vortec 6.0L engine and only 11,000 miles, which as I understand it can be both good and bad. This is my aunt's and it's basically been sitting since it was bought new after having been driven twice across country. She only takes it 10 miles up the road a couple times a year to camp otherwise. It has the original tires on it which are showing heavy signs of side splitting (not sure the correct terminology) so the first thing I am doing is having new Michelin tires put on it at Discount Tire. Then I'm going to get an oil change somewhere close by (although the oil looks crystal clear). Should I get synthetic or regular oil? So other than that, what should I be doing to get this girl ready to go on a 7000 mile journey across the country in 3 days? Do I need to be concerned about the brakes with such low miles? What about hoses and belts and such? The oil changing folks apparently can do a multi point inspection but are their things I should tell them to pay close attention to?

I'm so excited I can't stand it! And very happy to be a part of your world now! Thank you in advance!

vizualeyesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
She's had a rather sedentary life so far and now 7000 mile journey in 3 days.....can't be done!!!!!! I know....you probably mean you're leaving in 3 days.

Regardless....yup, have them check belts and hoses. Age can kill things, not just mileage. The other thing I would seriously have them look at and most probably change.....any and all fluids....transmission, brake, coolant, power steering. They're all pretty old from age to face a marathon run at this point in their life.

Good luck!

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

Read the manuals and have fun!
1998 Tioga Class C
400 amp/hrs solar, Trimetric
Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Welcome to the forum.
Barry & Martha Trueman
2014 Bay Star Sport 2702
2008 Goldwing 2006 Harley FLHT
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

I like the boldness of your plan!

Bill & Laurie | 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD - CHF - Roadmaster RSSA Steering Stabilizer - SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar | 2005 Honda Element - Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - RVIBrake2 System |
rvtrekers is offline   Reply With Quote