Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Question Looking and Wondering...

Hey folks - need some advice from the experienced...

We will be losing our home in May and have to move into something for two to three years while our credit is being re-established. We have been looking in the range of 35 to 40 feet, motorhome or fifth wheel, with tipouts as that seems to give us the room we need and can live with for a while.

Ran into an older motorhome on the internet ('84) that has no tipouts, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with cost and practiclity of adding one or two to the vehicle.

Structurally, it is a concern to me (I'm a structural engineer}, plus the anticipated cost of the modification will be more than the cost of the motorhome. There are other factors too, obviously. I am thinking that I should just keep looking.

We used to have a 35', 1978 Holiday Rambler travel trailer a few years ago that we sold in 2000, but that was too cramped and dated for a long-term liveaboard. We also had a 35' Erickson sailboat, but that's another story. Point being we do have some experience here, but just not the specifics.
msquared48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Blows a hole wad remodelling.Look for something ready to go one or two slideouts, you will have enough going on with downsizing anyway. 35ft is a minimum length fulltime. All the best.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would definitely not recommend remodeling.
If you are going to be traveling a lot, the motorhome is a great way to go.
If you are going to be stationary most of the time you will probably get a lot more space and comfort in a fifth wheel.
The fifth wheel may also allow you to get something a lot newer and nicer for your budget.

Good luck
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum! I'd venture to say that adding slideouts to a motorhome would be a very costly endeavor. Anything is possible with enough money, but it would make sense to spend that money on finding a rig that already has the slides. Good luck to you.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #5

Welcome!
Yup, as you said, cost more than a motorhome with slides to modify, and you would have a big hole in your rig. Not sure of your plans but if you are thinking of staying in one place for the most part, a 5th wheel probably gets you the most bang for you buck, and there are some pretty good deals out there. Of course you would need a tow vehicle or need to have the dealer/seller deliver.
Good luck.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would agree with fifth wheel purchase if not traveling. The cost of even a used diesel pu is high coupled with the 5er. As Dan stated if staying put, not traveling, I would buy a 35 to 38 ft. Fifth wheel and have the seller deliver to the CG. If travel is in your immediate future a used MH is in order. Once again, 35 ft. MH is the min length I would opt for a used late model 39 to 40 footer. JMO.
BTW:
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's good to have you with us! Sure sorry that you are losing your home and hope you can make a fast recovery.
I would not recommend adding slide-outs to an existing RV! In my opinion it would be far better to look for another one that has the slide-outs and other features you want. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

I think it would be cost prohibitive to add slides.

I hope you guys get on your feet soon.

Take care
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are staying in one place or still working a fifth wheel will be far more comfortable and less expensive. Good luck with this transition.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Sorry about loosing your home. We have a 5er and for the money it was the right buy for us. Lots of room and easy to leave at the CG when were driving around the area. If your considering a 5er you will need the right vehicle depending on the weight of your rig.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #11

Wow! Thanks for the information and encouragement. Great bunch of folks here.

One more question. What is the reason that fifth wheel homes are not recommended if you are going to do a lot of traveling?. Not intending to travel much, if at all, at the present, but If I have to follow the jobs, such a restriction could be a problem.
msquared48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the information and encouragement. Great bunch of folks here.

One more question. What is the reason that fifth wheel homes are not recommended if you are going to do a lot of traveling?. Not intending to travel much, if at all, at the present, but If I have to follow the jobs, such a restriction could be a problem.
The fifth wheel itself, will be relatively inexpensive. If you won't be traveling, you won't have the additional expense of a (preferably diesel) pickup truck. Otherwise, fifth wheels are quite nice to travel in. In October, we returned from a 6 week, 5000+ mile trip in ours.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #13

There are a lot of opinions regarding trailer vs motorhome, Diesel vs gas, 5th wheel vs bumper pull. Use 'Search' to find many discussions. Everyone's needs are different, so you have to find what suits you best.

However, the best advice in this thread is not to attempt to add slide-outs to a motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
...One more question. What is the reason that fifth wheel homes are not recommended if you are going to do a lot of traveling?. Not intending to travel much, if at all, at the present, but If I have to follow the jobs, such a restriction could be a problem.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
don't forget that if you go the Class A route you will need to pull a vehicle (toad). And as I understand it there only certain makes/models that can be towed. Its largely about what you can afford.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote