Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Reno Nevada and plan to purchase my folks Motorcoach in a couple of weeks. They went full time about 20 years back and did a great job on refurbishing a mc-7 and traveled all around the south. They are now in their 80's and haven't taken the motorcoach out for about 4 years.

The wife and I plan to fly back to Texas and purchase it from them and drive it back to Reno and in a couple of years possible go Full Time ourselves.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on what we need to do to the MC-7 prior to heading to Nevada. It had a rebuilt engine and transmission installed about 8 years back with no problems reported so far. We plan to put new tires all around (weather cracks).

Dad says it starts fine and everything works. We will have to get a temporary registration and insurance but I don't know of anything else.

Please let us know of anything we might should check or do prior to heading out in a couple weeks. We are getting quite excited, mostly because we are taking the first steps to retirement (we are both 60) so just another year or two.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Reno Nevada and plan to purchase my folks Motorcoach in a couple of weeks. They went full time about 20 years back and did a great job on refurbishing a mc-7 and traveled all around the south. They are now in their 80's and haven't taken the motorcoach out for about 4 years.

The wife and I plan to fly back to Texas and purchase it from them and drive it back to Reno and in a couple of years possible go Full Time ourselves.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on what we need to do to the MC-7 prior to heading to Nevada. It had a rebuilt engine and transmission installed about 8 years back with no problems reported so far. We plan to put new tires all around (weather cracks).

Dad says it starts fine and everything works. We will have to get a temporary registration and insurance but I don't know of anything else.

Please let us know of anything we might should check or do prior to heading out in a couple weeks. We are getting quite excited, mostly because we are taking the first steps to retirement (we are both 60) so just another year or two.

Bob & Pearl
Old 08-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations! I'm sure others will provide answers on the technical and mechanical check lists, but I'd get a roadside assistance plan like CoachNet or Good Sam in case you need a tow to the nearest service center. Just in case.

Don't wait too long to retire!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bob & Pearl..
Welcome to iRV2! This is a great group of RV owners with lots of great information to share.
I am going to ask you to help us a little more...I have spent 15 minutes looking for information on what an MC-7 is...but with no luck...so what is it?

I am sure you will get some information soon...
Please visit & post often!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sigh...
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
MonacoMama

The number one reason for us to purchase my parents Motorcoach is they put so much of their life into it they can't really bring themselves to sell it. But they could really use the money and it is only sitting and depreciating in value. I have heard their stories for ever and am confident it is something we will come to love and enjoy as well.

I dont know a lot about a MCI-7, except it was a 1971 Greyhound type bus built by Motor Coach International (MCI) and is a model number 7. My folks are very knowledgable and capable and did an execellant job of converting it to a MotorCoach 20 years ago. I will post pictures in a few days as they are sending a packet full of pictures and stuff. It still looks great like it is fresh out of the paint shop.

Their MCI-7 is 40 ft long and has a freshly rebuilt Detroit 8V-71 engine (a little small compared to newer units from what I am told). It also has a rebuilt Allison 5 speed automatic transmission. I would like to list a couple of the options that people may let me know if they are appropriate or might need upgrading when time & money permit.

1,000 watt inverter
6 KW propane generator
2 roof air conditioners
Central Heat
Norcold fridge/freezer (3 way)
4.2 aux freezer in one of the bays
Apt size range/oven
18" undercounter dishwasher
100 gal freshwater
100 gal waste water
180 fuel capacity
12V & 24V
Lift up Queen bed for storage
Awnings on each window & Patio 20 awning
60 gallon propane
Complete wiring/plumbing blueprints all to code
Air Levelers
10 gallon water heater

Now you know as much (or more) than I do about our retirement trainee Motorcoach.

Bob

Bob & Pearl
Old 08-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
Sigh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sacs...In my defense - the original post said MC-7 not MCI-7!!

MM

Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bob & Pearl,
Not to worry, you posted on the correct board. Nothing to be sorry about. I'm sure SacsTC meant nothing by his 'sigh'. He did some research and provided a link to a motorhome similar to yours. In fact, I'd bet the 'sigh' was intended for MonacoMama, not you. You see, SacsTC and MonacoMama have a special relationship.

I look forward to the photos you will share. Ask if you have questions about uploading photos into the Photo Section.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #9

Suggestions:
*Check out Busconversions.com lots of good info (& help) on their bulletin board. You might also subscribe to their mag.
*Get a set of service & repair manuals & carry them with you.
*Start a list of parts suppliers (new & used). MCI 7,8,& 9's are getting a bit scarce as most charter companies have upgraded to 102" X 45 footers.
*These are heavy vehicles,...at interstate speed, plan your stops half a mile in advance.
*Walk around the back every time you make a rest stop,... Detroits are nortorious for leaking, drizzling, & puking oil.
*That said,...they ride like a lemo, handle very well in a cross wind, and in general a pleasure to drive,...enjoy!!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob & Pearl:
SacsTC
Sorry if I posted on the wrong board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob& Pearl- Sacs meant that sigh for me..please check your PMs
MM

Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bob and Pearl,
First, Welcome to IRV2
My sigh was a link to a picture of an MC-7 in response to the following from MonacoMama <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to ask you to help us a little more...I have spent 15 minutes looking for information on what an MC-7 is...but with no luck...so what is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And yes, MM an I do have a special relationship. You will see me giving her a (lovingly) hard time on occasion.
Sorry if you thought that was directed at you and your post.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
http://picasaweb.google.com/tcanada/BusForSale

Here is a link to a page my sister set up to try and help our folks sell the MotorCoach prior to the wife and I deciding to purchase it. Click on Slideshow and see what two Texans can do when they put their mind to it. My folks did everything except rebuild the engine/transmission and paint the outside. Hope the link works and you enjoy the pictures. We will post more once we get the Coach back to Nevada. There is also a nice news paper article included from Del Rio Texas about my folks and their retirement lifestyle in their RV

Bob & Pearl