Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Military Retiring Soon and Want to Full Time RV

Greetings,

Thank you for the welcome. I am new to this website and attempting to learn to use it.

I will be retiring in a 1 1/2 and would love to full time RV. I am afraid of how to do it and if I can actually afford it. I have a small child and dog. We currently have a KZ Spree Escape E204S. I would love to sell it and get something bigger but am a little nervous about doing it prior to retirement. I remind myself I will have a house payment or apartment payment anyway. Is it possible? We have a small 4 wheeler and have thought about a toy hauler. Unfortunately I just bought my truck last year and it's new. I really wish I had have purchased something bigger to tow a bigger trailer. I'm scared to try this but I really want to. I would be grateful for any advice. Also, I am not even sure where I want to retire to.
Thank you all.
Gina
Gina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gina! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope the fulltiming works out great for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You gotta do the math. Full timing is fairly expensive, and an rv is a fragile, depreciating asset. How handy are you? Your retirement means a substantial decrease in you income, so now you gotta rely on your savings. If you're in your 40's, that savings has to last for 50+ years, with payouts that rise 3% per year to maintain your standard of living. At 3%/year, your payout will need to double at year 24, just to keep up with 3% inflation. I don't know how old you are or how much you saved, but if you're retiring from the military and have a small child (which is your job 1), you're likely in your early 40s. A new small 4x4 isn't gonna safely handle a loaded toy hauler, so that small 4x4 would have to go at a loss to buy a bigger and more expensive truck. I don't see it, but I'm running on a lot of assumptions.
Here's what I'd advise: Keep what you got, and camp a lot on weekends and learn everything ther is t know about RVs; how the work, how to use them and how to fix them. Get a job and save, save, save. As a retired GI you got skills employers want. Full timing will have to wait unless you got a million in the bank somewhere.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Welcome and Happy Trails.... Good Luck
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Gina,

If the military installation you are stationed at has an RV FAM Camp drop in and talk to some of the occupants. Most of us are glad to share information.

Since you will be retired military you can use the FAM Camps on all the military installations that have them and save a lot of money. A lot of the civilian owned campgrounds and state/federal campgrounds offer discounts to military if you ask.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home

Depending on your truck you might be able to tow it behind a motorhome if you buy one large enough. Check the owners manual and see if it can be towed 4 wheels down. If it can then you can haul your 4 wheeler in the bed of the truck.

Good Luck

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:30 AM   #7

dont worry be happy
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

If you have a small child then school becomes an issue as well as the financial side. It can be done but is not simple. You can find a lot of discussions here about various aspects of doing it including kinds of RV that will suite your life style.

All that said I would think you would be better off with a stick and brick base while you are worried about school and maybe more job time to build more retirement. Assuming you are looking at the end of 20 years in the military you have lot of time ahead of you. I can easily see taking a year to see the country before settling down but I think you will find a base a better idea for some time.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a lot of families full timing with children that they home school. The kids benefit from this by traveling to the areas they are learning about. The downside is they don't get to participate in extra curricular sports and activities.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #10

Hi,
Not sure I said thank you. I tried awhile back but this website can be hard to figure out. I don't have alot of time to get on here. I see what you are saying but I'm thinking I could live in it and basically full time while working another job and keeping my little one in school. I have to pay a house payment or apartment payment some where so why not live in this if possible until I figure out where I want to really live. But I totally see what you are saying also. I really appreciate your advice!!!
Gina
Old 01-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #11

Hi Jon,
Thank you!! Yes, I purchased one of those military campground books from the PX. I am at Moffett now and there's no campground on base. Many of the campgrounds here are full so it leaves no where to park. I hate that I am in a Reserve unit now and have no time even on weekends as we work basically round the clock. One of the Soldiers in my office just died so we are down to 2 including me. I also know we can stay at National parks I think. I wish I was better at dry camping in case I run across a situation where I can't hook up to electricity and water. I wish I could use solar panels. I also know we cannot park the trailers just anywhere on the streets and most campgrounds make you move after a few months. Is it worth it I wonder as I am not good at calling ahead, etc to locate places. I hope to learn and quick when I retire.
Gina
Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #12

rvethereyet,
I would be happier if I wasn't facing the unknown of a job, where to live and retiring soon. I'm not going to tell a story, I feel SCARED! We have no one to fall back on but us, me....my little one and my dog : - ). Could always be worse as I am grateful for my family and happy about that for sure and not being deployed!! Blessed, truly, truly blessed.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #13

Nothermark,
Oh my goodness. I like your idea of taking a year off and the earlier idea of someone else about taking time to talk to people at the military campgrounds. I do know the military will store my house hold goods for up to a year. I was thinking today though that I will need to keep out important papers. There's just not alot of room to do that in an RV. Plus I think I would love to live in Washington, an area that it doesn't rain all the time...but I'm not sure. Wow, I really appreciate all these great points and advice. Thank you all so so much!!
Gina
Old 01-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #14

JFRAN,
Thank you! I thought about home schooling but I'm not sure I know how, could figure it out or even have the patience. I would love it if I could. I just remember having a good feeling while in school of saying, I went to elementary school here, middle school a block away and high school down yonder. I have really nice memories of being in one area but I can also say I was bored with that little town in Alabama! We had nothing to do. I couldn't wait to leave.
I also have to tell you we have a rescue named Abbey. She is an older Bassett Hound and the sweetest girl ever. I was thinking of living in the RV in a town and working there too then maybe just traveling if my job would permit during the summer. I think camp worker would be great too. I also thought if I could park on a military camp ground, maybe he could go to school on the installation but I'm not sure. I guess I have many options but I'm scared I will pick wrong. I hope we will be ok budget wise. I have 23 Active military and 25 or so for my Reserve retirement. I just hope we will make it. I always say, I don't mind scrubbing toilets for a living or even getting two jobs. I've done it before. Thanks for your post!
Gina

Tags
full time