Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Monaco Diplomat in Daytona Beach

Hello, I am a first time RV owner, and acquired mine quite by default. I have yet to figure out the BATTERY, INVERTER, GENSET, 50amp universe, but I'm trying. I really need to know "what uses what power" and how. A/C is also a mystery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new coach! Owning an RV is a constant learning experience so don't be afraid to browse the forums, search for your answers, post any questions and jump into any of the spirited discussions.

Best of Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Stormchaserx. Not sure exactly what you are asking here. What year is your coach and can you be more specific about your questions?
Basically all your interior lighting is 12 volt DC (battery powered) Your fridge, microwave, tv's etc are powered by 110 volt AC power.
AC is 110 volt and controlled by the thermostat inside the coach.
The inverter converts DC power to AC power when you are not connected to shore power or the generator running.
Post some specific questions and the members here will be glad to help you out.
You may want to post your questions in the Monaco forum to get coach specific answers.
The AC has a delay so give them a few minutes after you turn the thermostat to AC before you give up on them.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

Thank You OURTIME Chuck and Mary. Mine is a 2000 model with Cummins Power and Allison 6 speed. It has one large slide and 4 awnings. I suppose I need to find the inverter switch. I have not yet plugged her into shore power...Can I just plug it into 110 at my shop with a 110V-50amp adapter ? The genset fires and runs, but does not seem to power up the 110V. I apologize for being such a newbie, but this coach was dumped in my lap without fanfair or explanation. I'm trying to learn as much as possible without paying the shop $125 per hr.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No problem being a newbie. Make sure you take a close look at your generator and look for a switch labeled A/C or ~... My coach has one which allows the gen to run without supplying power to the coach.

You should be able to plug into a 15/20 amp outlet using adapters available at RV shops or even Walmart. But, you'll probably have to go from your 50amp male to a 50/30 amp adapter then to a 30/20 amp adapter.

You'll want to plug in to shore power, find your inverter/charger, and see what happens with your batteries. Hopefully they will take and hold a charge and the coach will get the necessary power through your shoreline.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote