Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
My first trip in class A

I have owned my class A and been posting here for about a year. We finally hit the road over Labor day weekend for a trip from Chicago to Kentucky and Tennessee. I was blown away that the rig performed flawlessly. The only problem was losing the roof AC cover and the refrig access panel. The AC cover wasn't discovered until we got to our first destination. It simply blew off, leaving a small piece of fiberglass under each of the mounting screws on top. The access panel had no screws or device to lock it in place, just snapped in. It came off somewhere in the last 1-200 miles, bad bumps in the road, I-65 north in the middle of Indiana.

It was a great ride, with many adventures to share. I will continue to post them here. Thanks to all of you here for sharing your experiences so that others can learn from them.

1999 GS Sun Voyager/Sport? F53 V-10 34' .. Home
1987 Barth Regal SE P30 454 34' .. For Sale
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Welcome to the Forum and so sorry about you loosing your A/C shroud and panel. We have a few problems with our MH but so far not discouraged and love our MH and full timing life style.

Best of luck.

George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Well sometimes if that's all that goes wrong on a trip it isn't to bad......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Sorry to hear you are having a few problems. Best of luck on getting them resolved. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Intro posts are always welcomed.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you trip went well, except for a couple of minor glitches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Glad to have you here.

Sorry to hear about your small problems. If you have a second AC check the cover on it. They have a habit of cracking, then disappearing.

Happy Trails!!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
welcome aboard. sounded like a great first ride. a few pieces of plastic was good..rv gods were watching. lost my frig vent cover also on our last safari and went to the local rv parts place for cover and was told that type cover was replaced/longer made. had to buy a replacement kit top and (bottom didn't need)and completely different footprint for base. went home and looked on ebay and found the correct cover only was an easy and cheap fix. you may also find covers only other places. keep em rollin!
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
As I said the rig performed well. Sorry to say, but it suffered some body damage also. Driver errors.
In the year I owned it, what I did as far as the chassis, was done a year ago and all I did was fill the gas tank, weighed it, inflate the tires to 90, replaced a headlight and the batteries. I couldn't afford new tires yet, so I didn't even look at the date codes.
I have been working on getting house systems all working and living full time in a campground, so it was loaded to within 1000 lbs of GVW. We decided last minute that it was last chance of the season so we loaded 3 people and 2 large dogs and gear and food and hit the road.
The most remarkable thing is that with no maintenance or planning it performed perfectly. I never checked the oil or trans fluid or coolant. I did check tire temp by touch, several times. I am so grateful and I will make sure it gets the maintenance it deserves before hitting the road again.
And hopefully, the dash AC fixed and dash radio installed, that I deserve.

(We spent 3 1/2 hours in a closure/backup due to DOT truck with 2 workers hit by a semi on I-24 north of Chattanooga)
1999 GS Sun Voyager/Sport? F53 V-10 34' .. Home
1987 Barth Regal SE P30 454 34' .. For Sale
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first trip, the tube that held the stinky slinky fell off. No clue where, and we were not were not in an area where we could buy another! Still, a good trip!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving into" a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT.
DallasOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
A belated welcome....
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Welcome and glad you decided to post today! Sorry about your issues on your trip to Kentucky/Tennessee. Safe and happy travels to you....next outing and future!

Hudgens Family, 2014 Jayco Precept 31ul, 2011 Jeep GC toad, Blue Ox BX7365 towbar, RVi2Brake in Jeep
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote

class a