Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #1

Smile nervous newbie

Headed to pick up first RV. Went a bit over the top with the Winnebago 42QD. Been looking for 10 years, but never got the nerve. Plan to use for short trips, tailgating at Alabama football games...the thrill of driving got me hooked...but know nothing about the RV life....what the heck did i do? we are in our late 40s with 4 kids and wanted a way to get away from it all on a moments notice...sure hope we use this beast
Papashap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the Forum! You'll do fine, read the manuals, drive it slow until you get used to it. Remember to watch those turns, make sure you have enough room. Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the glamping.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #3

Papa John...
thanks...while i have you....is it fair to say residential cul de sacs should be not problem as far as turning radius? slept about an hour last night planning my ride home....i thought this was supposed to be relaxing...also, is it fair to say most large shopping centers don't mind you parking for a few hours during daylight-gotta stage it somewhere?....you're probably wishing you never replied...dude i haven't been this nervous in years
Papashap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi, welcome to IRV2. We were a little nervous when we got our 31' Class C. DH only took out 2 mailboxes in the neighborhood. Seriously! Not sure about turning one that big in a cul de sac, but someone will give you the info you need soon. We now have a 37' A and DH does very well with it. I think once you get used to it you and your family will have some great adventures. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Hi there! i am also pretty new at rving and i am still very nervous. As for the cul de sac, i had to turn in one the other day and i am 35 feet....i BARELY made it.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

First time we rented a 42' DP, I couldn't sleep the entire week before we picked it up. I planned, re-planned and then re-planned my route. By the time we picked up the Motorhome I had myself all worked up. In the end, it all worked out. There are a couple of pointers I would give you though:

1. Go as slowly as you need to feel comfortable -- and don't worry about the folks honking behind you (and trust me they will).

2. Don't forget the roof -- you will need to worry about roof (especially filling up with gas) clearance

3. Use a spotter -- even with a back up camera they will see things the camera doesn't pick up

4. Stuff goes wrong -- guarantee, you will have something break down (you ARE driving a house down the freeway), don't let if get you bent out of shape!! You have plenty of resources to help you diagnose most problems.

5. Most of all enjoy yourself!!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

When driving, use the bottom of your mirrors to keep you in between the lines and before you know it will be like driving your car.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #8

Welcome, mine will not turn around in my 4 house cul de sac but that's not a problem. The nausea will eventually go away from making the purchase.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
WOW! Nothing like starting at the top.

We loved the QD floor plan, shared with the Itasca Ellipse we saw at the Good Sam rally.

We were all nervous newbies once, (although most of us started much smaller and worked our way up in size) you'll get the hang of it. Virtually any question you can come up with can be directed here and you'll get an answer - some will even be useful.

Have fun!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

I can feel your fear. We just bought our first RV. Like everyone is telling you, take it slow and relax and read the manuals. It really is not that hard. We took a driver's confidence course and that really helped me feel more comfortable behind the wheel. Congratulations on your new RV.
kjc7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Papa,

Good job on the new rig! Like others have said, take it easy and go slow, once you get the feel for it your set. That was exactly how I felt my first week behind the wheel of a semi truck. At night I would go down the toll roads, well after most traffic was gone, and stop at every oasis and rest stop just to practice starting, stopping and parking.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I signed up for a driving training course at a bus centre close to me, I am comfortable with the size of our rig but feel that the more I learn the more confident I will be.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #13

Welcome to RVing. Tailgating at a football game is not my idea of getting away from it all, but to each his own. Try to keep in mind as you are driving, one word; OVERHANG. Big overhang in front and back. Remember also that if you end up in the Mid-West and Western States, people are a lot nicer, they have more patience for other drivers, and in general are more mannerly on the road. Easterners are a bunch of morons, all in a hurry going nowhere. Except when you get into Maine, especially above Bangor. It is an absolute pleasure to drive in Maine. Try taking a trip out West; Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Montana. These are where you find out about the real America. Stay away from the cities. Most cities do have Interstate bypasses anyway, so if you happen to hit one, not a big deal. Pay attention to your clearance. Get up on top of the RV and measure the height to the tallest object on your roof for yourself, and remember most overpass height labels are usually pessimistic. They are higher than they say. In New York for example the bridges and overpasses are normally 8 inches higher than they are marked. On turns watch your inside rear wheel, that's where your pivot is, and everything behind it is swinging out away from the turn, everything in front of it is dragging across the apex. Take your time, do everything slowly, the other drivers will be patient with you, and they will also be a little scared of you, which is a good thing. Enjoy yourself, drive around this beautiful country, lay off the tailgating parties, you're not going to learn anything about our wonderful heritage from following a bunch of overpaid ball players.
Bob C.
Gulf Stream 40' Class A, Jeep Wrangler Toad
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #14

PS., forgot to mention, the best thing you can do for your feeling of security is to get a set of backup and side view cameras for your Winnie. They are great! You will always know what kind of clearance you have on the sides and in back.
Bob C.
Gulf Stream 40'
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags