Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy New

Hello....I am a new member with no experience in camping.
Bought a used 2005 FR Sunseeker in the fall. Have not used it yet. Having trouble with the electric step. It is locked in a half open position. I hear clicking when the door opens and closes, but the step doesn't move. Anyone have any ideas what I should do? I am a little handy.

caburke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Do you know what brand/model of step it is? This'll help get you more answers. There should have been a manual for the steps supplied with the coach when new.

In general, I'd make sure all moving parts are free to move, and properly lubricated. The steps are particularly susceptible to rust as they are exposed to the elements, and to road salt. I inspect and lubricate my steps as part of my annual pre-season PM schedule.

2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

It might be seized up from road/weather. Try cleaning all the joints underneath with WD-40, be careful! They can injure you!! Shut off the step while working under it!

If its not moving at all, I don't know if you can move it by hand to extend it to get to all the joints underneath. Mine I could "help" it back up as it was retracting.

Mine was not retracting all the way, sprayed the heck out of it in all the joints (ya gotta crawl underneath and spray them, only way to get to them) and moving parts, which cleaned it all up and steps are operating fine now. Clean them, if they run ok, operate the steps 2 or 3 times, re spray them, then follow up with some white lithium grease in a month.

Hope this helps!

I learned it from a fellow user here on iRV2!

Good luck! Keep us posted and WELCOME!
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Welcome to the forum. During the partial movement, you may be able to physically help the steps in or out and then lubricate all the moving parts and hinge points. Hope this helps...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello Caburke2! Congratulations on the new rig. When we bought our first MH, we went to the campground a few miles from the house to get used to everything. Hope you can get out soon and enjoy the RV life. Once you get comfortable with it, you will have some great adventures. Safe travels.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! Can't help with the question. Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum! I see that you have already gotten good tips on lubricating your steps. I'll just add to make sure that your main battery switch is turned ON if you haven't done so. (Although it sounds like it is on because you're hearing a clicking noise.) Good luck.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kind of a dumb question but is your battery(s) fully charged?
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Kind of a dumb question but is your battery(s) fully charged?
Not a dumb question at all. A lot of times if the battery is not fully charged the steps will not operate properly. Be sure to keep your hands out of any workig area of the steps. If they should suddenly retract it will be an unforgiving experience for sure. You should have the power off when working on them.

By the way Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi caburke2, welcome to the forum.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the well wishes, welcome and helpful ideas. The steps are Frigette/SCS now owned by Lippert. I had to order manuals from Forest River for eveything for this MH because it came with nothing. It was a repo from out in Phoenix. The book I got was not too helpful. But I got more info on the Lippert site. I bought dry silicone spray as it said to do and sprayed the bolts on the sides of the step, but I was under there the other day and some of the moving parts do look like they have rust. So I will try the suggestions.
Am I better using the silicone spray or the lithium? And do I have to be careful to NOT get that lubrication on any other parts?
(I have had the MH plugged in all winter to keep the batteries on a trickle charge and I did have the battery switch on and the little step switch on when I was trying it.)

caburke2 is offline   Reply With Quote