Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

New 2 and a question

New to site. We are retired and just got our Winnebago 32V Looking forward to getting away a little.
Is there any reason to get disabled plates on your MH?
Looking forward to getting into this lifestyle. Its too bad you couldn't do this when you were young and then work when you are old.

Pat and Ginny

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Pat & Ginny to irv2.
The extra cost of plates for MH, I would have them for a tow that you may have.
Enjoy your new lifestyle and enjoy the forums.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Pat & Ginny,

Welcome to the forum.

I've seen only one campground with special parking for RV/vehicles taged disabled. If you are a disabled veterian you might check into the lower cost of tags in some states like Florida.

Dave
Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Welcome...As long as your toad has a tag....Most CG have no real ADA sites I have seen...Good Luck....Peace D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there any reason to get disbled plates on the motor home... Well, some parks have sites designated handicapped only (I know of at least 4, of the 7 parks I frequent).. Some states give discounts to handcappers, may be some other advantages as well. Since I do not currently qualify I have not researched it in full.

So the question becomes: Is there a reason not to?

And there I have two answers: If the state of residence charges extra for them YES there is.

Second: They say it takes all kinds.. I mean I see a lot of folks who think nothing of parking in the designated handicapped spaces.. And of course they complail loud and long when they get towed or ticketed or both.

Some of these jerks will go so far as to vandalize a handicapped placarded vehicle parked in a NON handicapped space (Getting even you see) and as you very likely know one of the differences between folks who can talk a doctor into giving them a placard.. And those who truly need one. Is that if you are having a GOOD DAY... You will park out in regular parking and save the designated spots for someone who really needs it.. Same as I did when I had a placard.

(The fakers will always park in handicapped, even though the only handicapp they have is between the ears.. In case anyone wonders)

I know.. Both kinds.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patngin View Post
New to site. We are retired and just got our Winnebago 32V Looking forward to getting away a little.
Is there any reason to get disabled plates on your MH?
Looking forward to getting into this lifestyle. Its too bad you couldn't do this when you were young and then work when you are old.

Pat and Ginny
Welcome! We have seen several places (generally tourist attractions) that have Handicapped parking for rigs. I have been in a couple campgrounds as well that had actual handicapped locations. So unless it is a significant amount extra, I would get them. However if you get a mirror hang tag, then you can use it in your rig or the car you tow behind, when you are in it. That is what we do and it works out well for us. Good luck. Hope to see you on the road.
automch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to forum. I can't answer or least give a good answer to questions. I my suggestion is to do what is right and then move on. But the best is you have started a new part of your lives. Trust me, you will enjoy your new lifestyle and adventures. So kick back and enjoy.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. I know in Washingotn State you can get a handicap sticker that hangs from your rearview mirror. That way you don't have to be restricted to 1 vehicle. I don't know the charge, but check with your state DMV

Happy Travels
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a disabled veteran and I have plates that state that. The disabled veteran plates get the same recognition as handicapped plates. On my bad days, in the vehicle that only states, "Disabled U.S. Veteran," I have never been questioned. My tow vehicle has a "wheelchair" plate. In Texas it is $4 a plate to register your vehicles.

I have never used the ADA sites in a campground, although I have seen several campgrounds that have them. State and Federal included. For most campgrounds we just take what they have to offer. That's why I have a built in toilet, shower, stove, etc. - for the bad days. Most of the time you can tell a CG owner that you are handicapped and they will assign you a space close to facilities.

In answer to your question, yes, get the handicapped plates. You just don't know when the bad days are going to be with you. Also, sometimes you can create your own bad days, like trying to walk around Washington D.C. and visit places. That will create a bad day regardless. So it's nice to have the plates. You can park in front of any metered parking spot, or handicap spot, and not have to pay. There are other tourist cities like that.

Sometimes I feel bad when I see others with missing extremities and I am able to walk upright. So on my good days I use regular parking spots. And sometimes when I do have to park in one of the handicapped spots, my mind tells me that if I didn't rate it I wouldn't have it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

Pat & Ginny, Welcome to the forum.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Is there any reason to get disbled plates on the motor home... Well, some parks have sites designated handicapped only (I know of at least 4, of the 7 parks I frequent).. Some states give discounts to handcappers, may be some other advantages as well. Since I do not currently qualify I have not researched it in full.

So the question becomes: Is there a reason not to?

And there I have two answers: If the state of residence charges extra for them YES there is.

Second: They say it takes all kinds.. I mean I see a lot of folks who think nothing of parking in the designated handicapped spaces.. And of course they complail loud and long when they get towed or ticketed or both.

Some of these jerks will go so far as to vandalize a handicapped placarded vehicle parked in a NON handicapped space (Getting even you see) and as you very likely know one of the differences between folks who can talk a doctor into giving them a placard.. And those who truly need one. Is that if you are having a GOOD DAY... You will park out in regular parking and save the designated spots for someone who really needs it.. Same as I did when I had a placard.

(The fakers will always park in handicapped, even though the only handicapp they have is between the ears.. In case anyone wonders)

I know.. Both kinds.
I have also heard of people targeting people for robberies because they know it will be easier. I would make them think about that. I may have rubber legs below the knee but I have a pretty good aim.
patngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #12

Pat and Ginny
Great to have you here. A old friend use to say "they should give us a million dollars at 18 and when we have spent it all we have to go to work until we die". Enjoy!
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a handicap placard in the state of CA. It allows me to get into state parks for free.
Great for day camping at the state beaches.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote