Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

New

Hi, we just bought our first RV. We got a Damon Challenger 371 and are wondering if we got a "lemon" or what.
We've had to have 3 new levelers replaced in 3 months. Common?? We now manually level instead of "auto".
Hot water was just warm enough to bathe a baby. (finally got that reset after 3 trips to Rep.)
The humming of the convert is extremely loud. It's located UNDER THE BED. Really?? Under the bed??? Is this normal?? We've asked at the dealership and was told "that's the way it is". Of course, the same dealer said that about the water too, so what do we believe?? Can any of you help us???
Do all RV's leak water when making a turn?? No matter how much water is in our tank, when taking a left turn, water runs out the wheel well and down the wheel flap.
Can anyone help with these questions?? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
As far as the levelers are concerned you did not say what brand or whether hydraulic or electric but; to me 3 seems excessive. The hot water problem sounds more like a poor service rep. One try should have fixed that. Depending on the location of the overflow pipe for the fresh water many people have this problem. Often if you over fill once the overflow kicks in it will siphon off as much as 1/4th of a tank. Some people put something in the overflow line like a cork but then you have to remember to take it out when filling or you could do some damage.

Do I think you got a lemon? No!! I talked to an RV tech last year who put it all in perspective for me. The first year you spend fixing all the things the factory screwed up, then you get 4 or 5 years of reasonably trouble free service then something breaks almost every trip. Worked out almost exactly that way with my last coach.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds more like you have a poor dealer. i would write a letter to the dealer detailing your problems and send a copy to the Damon.

Ken
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
The first year tests us all! We're nearly through it with ours, but it has had a bunch of little problems, annoying as heck. Keep positive and have FUN!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #5

Thank you.

Thank you for your return posts. I'm begining to believe we have a lousy dealer.
None of the posts said anything about the converter. Should it be making a loud humming noise ALL THE TIME it's plugged in? We have to go outside and unplug it to get any sleep. Is this normal????
Also, do I have to use only the one dealer?? There's a closer one, but were told we couldn't use them. What about when we're on the road??
Hope you all have a good week.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Loud is an abstract thing. My converter hums but I am so used to it I really don't even pay any attention. I would suggest listening to a few others to see if it really is louder than others.

Many dealers don't want to service coaches they did not sell or will at least threaten to put you to the back of the line. This is bull. You should be able to take your coach to any Damon dealer for warranty work plus since many of the components are used in various brands many others may be willing to work on your coach but you would need to call and verify first. Right now we have our Holiday Rambler coach at Freightliner of Arizona and they are more than happy to take the money for our extended warranty work.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote