Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

New! And a "good" question...

Hi everyone!

We are picking up our first RV on Monday (Crossroads Z-1 211RD) and I'm really excited . We still need to get a lot of "stuff" before we can actually take our first trip, and that leads me to my question.

I have been reading posts on this forum and lots of other places, and I have discovered a recurring phenomenon:

Newbie says: "I don't know anything, tell me what I should get!"

Experienced RVer says: "Whatever you do, make sure you have a good ___________!" (fill in the blank with "pressure regulator", "weight distributing hitch", "freshwater hose", "sway control", "leveling blocks", or whatever)

The problem is that the newbie doesn't know how to tell the difference between a "good" or a "bad" version of the item in question, because they still a newbie.

So I know I need to get a bunch of "good" stuff, but I don't have a clue as to which of the dozens and dozens of freshwater hoses (or whatever) are the "good" ones...

So other than starting a new thread for each of the things on my list, asking what the "good" ones are, I really don't know how to find out. Suggestions??

Thanks and happy camping!
Sara
Moonbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
That is a great question. If experienced RVers try to answer, and they will, I think the situation would still be perplexing because people like different things and different levels of convenience and quality, so there would be plenty of disagreement about various benefits and values. For most things, it is a matter of your own cost/benefit analysis. So my simple advice is this: If you know you need a widget, you go to several sources that sell different kinds of widgets (a couple of stores, some time at websites) and figure out which one offers you the most benefit and which you are willing to trade your dollars for. Generally, although there will be exceptions, the best quality water hoses will be the most expensive. If that fails to make sense, you might consider that more often than not the cheapest item will not be the best quality. Some leveling blocks take a lot of storage room, others stack cleverly to take up less room when not in use. Are you willing to pay more for the ones that stack? It's all part of the adventure, and the 'learning curve' can be a lot of the fun. Happy trails!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Research here on the more expensive items i.e. surge protectors, shocks, steering dampeners, etc.. Will save you time and money.

Be prepared opinions are going to vary widely. This is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy.

Read all the advice, add it to your own opinion and have it. SHopping for new items is half the fun.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the site and the many fine people you'll meet here. I see you have gotten some comments already on your question. I have to agree that everyone has there own ideas of what they may like and how much money they want to spend on a particular item. It's trial and error in the process. Wish you the best and hope all your traveling experiences are great. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Research here on the more expensive items i.e. surge protectors, shocks, steering dampeners, etc.. Will save you time and money.

Be prepared opinions are going to vary widely. This is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy.

Read all the advice, add it to your own opinion and have it. SHopping for new items is half the fun.
Read and ask, as your doing. It'll all make sense in time.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #6

Stuff

Hey, we are also new to the RV life.
When we bought our coach the dealer,Camping World, had a list of items they recommended. It was very complete and we use everything except one item.
Camping World also priced matched the internet prices that we found that were lower.
We have been on the road for 5 months and are having a blast.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7

Welcome! Congrats on your new camper! This really is a good question, but it is one that has no easy answer. We just bought our first camper last fall so I know where you're coming from. You are obviously researching the internet which is a great start. Since everyone has their own opinion based on their personal experience, it is hard to determine the "best" of anything. I'm still not 100% sure we have the "best" tow vehicle or weight distributing hitch, but I am comfortable with what we have. Fortunately, we have friends and acquaintances that have experience we can draw from. Another good source is our RV dealer. They hold 2 campouts a year where they have "fireside chats". We talk to them and the other campers to get advice. I wish I could post a list of everything we've purchased, but if I did, you would just get 50 other opinions of the things on my list. The best advice I have received that I can pass on to you is to relax and enjoy the learning experience. It's all part of the fun!

One more thing...if you're buying from a dealer, they should provide you with everything you need to go camping. If that is the case, you can wait to make any other major purchases until you have had a chance to talk to other campers.

Good luck and happy camping! We love to see others pictures
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Sara, welcome to IRV2. I agree with everyone, so I won't repeat. For inside the RV, just list your basics. I bought sheets, towels, dishes etc. that I could leave in the RV so there was less to load and unload. Try not to overload with things you won't use. I bought a dish drainer that folds up. It has been sitting in the cupboard for over a year. As said, it's a trial and error and you will figure out what works for you over the season. Have fun, be safe and let us know how your first trip goes.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome!