Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

New and looking for help :)

Hello all.

First off I'd like to make a disclaimer, I am in no way forum or internet savvy. I have dabbled a bit though, so I get the jest. Just a little slow.

We inherited a 34.5 foot 1991 pace arrow from a friend that was at his wits end. We live in Soldotna Alaska and their aren't many around here that know more than I've learned about this beast. If their are I haven't met them yet haha. We are having what appears to be a common problem. No steering, no breaks. We replaced the breaks, power steering pump bla bla bla.,....... But still have nothing more than a mess and the same old whine when we finally give up. I've been working on this thing off and on for about 5 years trying to help my buddy figure it out before he just towed it to my house while I was fishing one day. Although it is fun to camp in, we would like to actually be able to leave the yard to do it. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!!
Muddy Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Is there power steering fluid and brake fluid in the reservoirs? Does the engine run?

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

This sounds like the MH has a Hydro-boost unit that supplies power to both power steering and hydraulic brakes. It would be powered by the "fan" belt, which may make it easier to identify. Bad news for that is, a new hydro-boost unit can cost over $500 in lower 48. I've never heard of one being rebuilt, but may be possible to buy one.
If you can identify the chassis the MH is built on (Chevy, Ford, ?) we can narrow down the source of the problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Learn everything you can about the RV and share it with the appropriate forum. Folks love to help here!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Friends of mine are headed for Soldotna on Monday with their 5th wheel to set it up for a fishing camp there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

I bought a rebuilt hydro-boost unit for our '94 Flair last year for about $150.00. The parts store (Carquest) couldn't get a new one. It's working the way it should so far.

I think on our Flair pressure to operate the hydro-boost unit is provided by the belt driven power steering pump. It is attached to the front of the brake master cylinder and actuated by the brake pedal.

Hope you get it going soon.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #7

Wow, thanx all!!

I just got cleaned up from crawling around under the beast. Really wishing I had parked her on more level ground so I could get under it easier hahaha

She's on a Chevy chassis, 454. Literally replaced everything electrical on the motor. Dizzy went bad first and caused a landslide of problems after, so......... New throttle body and injectors, map sensor, temp, dizzy, control module, throttle sensor, idle air sender, everything. She purrs like a kitten.

The coach batteries were converted to 6 volt about ten years ago. The two that are in there are about 3 or 4 years old now, being pulled every fall and stored inside along with the main bat.

As I mentioned earlier, both front calipers and pads are New as well as the drums and shoes on back. All the lines flushed with new dot3. The only one that wasn't rebuilt is the parking/emergency brake on the rear of the tranny. Sure wish it had been though hahaha

I did all the work for my buddy. He bought parts. Just trying to be a good friend.

PS is full, all new fluid when we swapped the pump. No leaks. We ended up changing a small distribution block that attaches to a larger one for some reason I can't remember now. New parts never hurt any ways hahaha

Tonight I got small and skinny and had the wife pump her leg for me while I played on my back ��
Got a little air out of a large can I didnt know was there till I saw a thread in this forum today. So I went round and round bleeding.

Low and behold we could actually turn the wheel in park!!!!

But only for a minute. By the time I got the levelers up and blocks moved to try a test drive it went back to not working.

At this point I think I'm going to grab a bucket of brake fluid, a new gasket for the brake red, and try bleeding some more I guess............... Im at a loss. Every time we thing we've got it whooped it shows us how wrong we are. She hasn't been on the road in about 9 years because of this. My buddy ran out of mechanics here that said they could fix it, thats why I volunteered. She has 7 brand spanking new tires that might have 100 miles on them......... So wrong hahaha

I appreciate all your help!!!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Friends of mine are headed for Soldotna on Monday with their 5th wheel to set it up for a fishing camp there.
Right on Mr_D! The kings are just starting to come in. Your friends should do well if the fish the lower sections of the rivers for a while
Old 05-28-2017, 12:43 AM   #9

Since the steering and brakes worked, even just for 5 minutes, I'm hoping the problem is easier on my pocket than more new parts
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #10

I don't know about yours, but the e-brake on our Flair is also located at the back of the trans. When we got the MH it was not working. We even made a 7-8k mile trip with it that way last summer. There was some worry on my part about parking on any incline and depending on the parking pawl to hold us there. I did pull the drum off as far as I could to look at the nearly new linings last spring, but I had a lot of work to do and didn't get back to adjusting it until a few weeks ago. The adjuster on ours is located in the cable back very close to the brake drum itself. It took a few sprayings with solvents, but I finally got it to move. It now the e-brake works great.

I do all my maintenance and one of the first things I do after getting a new vehicle is find factory shop manuals for them, generally on eBay. For the MH that took care of bottom part pretty well. Then I went to Fleetwood and got a lot of wiring schematics for the top part. All those help, but it is still a chore.

Sorry I can't help with your hydraulic brake/hydro-boost problem. When we got the Flair a PO had replaced the front calipers and pads. I replaced the rear calipers and pads along with the master cylinder and hydro-boost unit. After bleeding everything worked the way it should.

It did take some doing to get to the master/hydro boost units. There was a metal shield in front of the units that I removed for better access to them. Removing that required cutting off a bolt or two that could barely be reached with a small cut off disc grinder. The heads of those bolts were sandwiched between the top (camper) and lower (chassis) parts of the MH. Good thinking on the builders part.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #11

Here is a link that will help if you need wiring schematics; Fleetwood RV Motorhome Help and Technical Assistance .

Steve
Old 05-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I can't help with your questions. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

Thanx! Since you mentioned the e brake I started thinking. Everything worked until I pushed the e brake to check the fluid lvl in the PS......... Since I Have a bit of not so busy time, I'm getting skinny again and going to check that as well as the big can thing I bled the other day. I highly doubt anything has been adjusted on this coach since the original owners had it in Arizona back in 2000.

The worst part for me right now is that the guy we repossessed this mh from was given every tech manual for it. Literally 2 milk crates full of everything to fix everything on this. He wasn't happy when he lost her and burned all the manuals.

The original owners were/are VERY well to do. Multimillionaires. They got a tour of the factory as this coach was being built and was able to get cookies of every manual Fleetwood had that pertained to this coach. Sadly the owner passed a couple years ago. Cancer.......... Was a good friend. A lot of memories in this rig for a lot of people. I really appreciate all of you helping me as I try to bring her back to life so I can give her back to my friends son as a surprise gift. Thank you all
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #14

I can't offer any technical help on your problems, MuddyMoose, but just wanted to relate a huge coincidence. Reading your original post was the first time I had ever heard of Soldotna, AK.

Last night, 4 days later, I was watching Alaska State Troopers on National Geo and darned if the trooper didn't pull a guy over in Soldotna!
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote