Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by oldguyrich
no, it wasn't given to us...we paid hard earned money for it. .. (my wife is standing behind me slapping me on the head as she read what i wrote. she says" we are not sorry we bought it.." my mistake. It isn't buyers remorse- it is the fear of the unknown..." what is that switch for? doesn't turn anything on as far as i can tell " over and over....glad to hear there are lots of helpful people out there... we are gonna need it...
We've all been where you are, some of us more than others DW needs to be checking those switches as well, she needs to know the same things you do so when she's at the helm she will notice if something is amiss. It's yours now so grab the beverage of choice and start searching to see what goes to what. Let us see some pictures and ask away.
Ron & Wendy

Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Ditto on camping close to home. Make good use of your campsite neighbors knowledge and experience. I started making a point to get out to meet my campground neighbors and found them to be willing to help.

Start asking questions so you can start getting answers.

Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
ROTFLMAO...Not AT YOU really, more like WITH YOU, because it wasn't that long ago we got into this RVing world...and although I kinda knew what a "Black Tank" was, I darn sure never "dumped" one, and rather than go into that story let me just tell you it DOES GET BETTER. These people have outstanding advice...the voice of experience you might say (some good - some not so good); but it doesn't matter HOW they learned, what matters is they all are willing to share. So far you have received great advice: Don't give up / Camp close to home to start out / etc...We REALLY are in this together. The people at the campground will be crawling all over the coach once you admit you are a "newbie"...let them share their knowledge...most are busting at the seams to do so - trust me - it seems like we were in your position just yesterday. We started with my Father-In-Law's 5th wheel. Moved to a 38' Bounder and now we're in a 2005 Zephyr and we are STILL learning things about the Zephyr...like an older gentlemen (who owned a 2010 Zephyr) asked me last week - as I was trying to thaw out my frozen hose/water tank/etc-, "Did you know there is an obscure little knob in one of the compartments that is actually a thermostat that will heat the tanks/compartment so you won't freeze your tanks or waterline"??? NO I DID NOT...LOL - But WE DO NOW!!! We are a community, a family - some think we RVers are a dysfunctional family...but we are a family nonetheless. So ask for advice; ask questions; read system manuals; contact the manufacturer; go to the chassis classes; stay connected to these forums! What worked for us: We "camped" on the side of our house for a day. Cooked on the stove, used the water/toilet/generator/entertainment centers/EVERYTHING like we were actually at a campsite. (We actually had an RV Plug put on the side of our house) - but we used the generator for several hours like we were boondocking - and we "carried" our water/waste for that time. Any time someone left the coach for anything, they had to write it down before they went into the house to get it. That way we knew what we needed and didn't have in the coach so when we went to a campground, we knew what we needed to "load" from the house (or buy seperate for the coach). The next weekend, we went (you guessed it) to the closest RV park...which happened to be within 5 miles for us...and the DW drove the car so we had a getaway vehicle in case we needed/forgot something vital. We told the caretakers we were "newbies" so we could get an easy in/out spot and we welcomed any helpful "tips"...say no more; we had a crowd offering up years of experience...even a walk-through of the coach. My bet is you will be ANSWERING posts here within 6 months...helping one of your "family" members. So take a deep breath and start where you know and work toward what you don't know that well (but have an idea)...and then dive into the unknown (and have no clue). Also, you need to have some kind of structure (of importance) to your learning...as in what systems will get you stuck if they don't work...and how to fix THEM first. It's great to know how to program presets into the radio...but that won't solve the jacks won't come up...or the slideout(s) won't come in... if you know what I mean.

Happy Trails!
Bob & Melissa
2005 Tiffin Zephyr
Traveling with the kids (w/fur)
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Don't worry..we started out knowing nothing and learned along the way. Take lots of trips close to home and ask lots of qs. Neighbors at campsites are always helpful too. Enjoy! Nina
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Were here to help.....Welcome to the RVing family.....relax...and think about the great season to come......
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Oldguyrich, I belong to the same club as you. Taken one trip, have a list of questions and a nattering "lovely" (I say lovely cause I know she's going to read this) otherhalf that tells me "you better learn everything about this rig so we don't have problems on the road". Everything seams to work on ours, however, it's the things I'm supposed to do and don't that cause me the problems. That's why I follow this site to see what others experience so I know what to expect when I come across it. I make sure I have room on the Visa for each trip just in case (LOL)
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
I found the handbook pretty easily with good ole google- my connection is spotty tonight & the book was loading way too slow here,(pacific nw storms tonight), but if you're dealing with better than 'double-dialup speeds' give this link a look over:
-yea, I love these 'mystery switches' , my gal accidently found one of ours ran an under the unit light-kinda like a treasure hunt !
Rv_Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Probably the best "Adventure" quote of all time:

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. G. K. Chesterton
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Enjoy your new adventure in life.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Originally Posted by oldguyrich View Post
Hi. My wife and I just got a 1983 Pace Arrow, and know nothing about it... can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about it either...We are brand new at this, and thinking maybe we maybe should have stayed with tents...
You'll get things figured out and sorted out, and you'll love all the conveniences of a motorhome. We should all add to a list of things to watch out for, if you're new to an RV. I'll start the list, and others with more experience can add to it.

Swing wider than you're used to when making right-hand turns.

Watch out for low-hanging tree limbs in the city limits, especially the residential areas where the buses don't run.

Watch out for those gas-pump bollards.

When backing up, it's okay to have a spotter. Make sure that spotter knows that if you can't see them in your mirrors, all the arm waving isn't going to help as you back into something.

Make sure that water tank you filled is actually filled BEFORE you get to that campground with no hook-ups.

Make sure your fuel tank is far fuller than you think you'll need once you get to your destination; that on-board generator shuts down when the fuel tank drops down to about 1/4 full.

Locate all the different fuse panels in the motorhome; the one that you don't bother to find will be the one with the fuse that will blow. (Hint! You should have at least two flashlights... that actually work.)

Practice opening and closing the awnings at home.

Don't remove the black or grey tank caps until you verify that the valves are in the 'closed' position.

Watch the movie 'RV' a few times, 'cause it will never be that bad.

Good luck, and enjoy the new adventure. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #25
Welcome Rich, don think anyones really said it yet lol. But I'll say for sure, finding out what all those switches do, is half the fun of owning an RV . I've had quite a few and the first couple i had when i started out, i wasn't lucky enough to have the internet and couldn't rightly park at a library, but it was still fun learning all the different "new toys" i had to play with.

I bought my most recent about 2 weeks ago and its still sitting in the yard, im still playing with wires, and still figuring out what all the switches do (or at least they're supposed to be doing)

Dont worry bout whatcha don't know that comes with time. Just remember how much you knew when you got your first car, not a whole lot different.

Piece of advice, dont start cutting wires without first mapping out where they were <<oops>>
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #26
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Practice opening and closing the awnings at home.

Don't remove the black or grey tank caps until you verify that the valves are in the 'closed' position.

Good luck, and enjoy the new adventure. -RT
Yep, on the awning, open, close, lock, strap and bolt it closed. Practice all of that.
If you go on a day trip with the toad, close the awning, even if the weather is beautiful.

Tank valves: also be sure that they will open before your first trip far from home. It not you may have to do some cutting, gluing and cleaning on the road.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. Zephyr put things so well above. Start with one question, and let's start figuring things out...we'd love to help!!
"If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is!!"
Follow us on our adventures...we're currently on-site storage facility managers.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! The follies!

My wife has affectionately named our 2008 MH, "Citrus," so she can be on the politically correct side. Sometimes she refers to it as the "Pinto of Motorhomes." So, don't despair. Enjoy what you have. The worse case scenario is you will have memories to look back on. I cannot remember all the times traveling that, with and without the MH, that we had some type of incident or other. We just bit the bullet and fixed it, then moved on.

Hmm! Maybe she should have thought "Edsel!"

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote