Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
new at it, and regretting it already

Hi. My wife and I just got a 1983 Pace Arrow, and know nothing about it... can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about it either...We are brand new at this, and thinking maybe we maybe should have stayed with tents...
oldguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Oldguyrich

Ouch. Things can't be that awful. I have had my MoHo for about a year now and the only thing I know is when I put the key in and turn it, it starts. What else do you need to know. Just ask away. There are alot of smart people on this forum who can help.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Don't panic. Along with this forum you might also enjoy RV.Net. The forums are a good place to get information and idea. However, the best knowledge comes from experience. Make your first trip close to home and a well used campground. You might consider a KOA, or a destination campground. Out here, we usually suggest Flying Flags in Beulton, the reasoning being that there will be many friendly campers in close proximity to help with all your questions. We have always found our neighbors to be friendly, pleasant and helpful, and we in turn always offer to help...including lending tools, cooking item, or whatever in needed to make a pleasant experience. Along with paper books, like Trailer Life or Woodalls, the website campgroundreviews.com is an excellent peer review of may campground.
Just like tent camping, every trip has it's problems, just with a motorhome the problems are usually just a little bigger than with a tent. Tent poles bend, zippers stick, and food is forgotten. In a motorhome waterpumps don't pump, electric stuff doesn't work, and there is the ever present job of dumping. But you learn.
The Pace Arrow was and is a good coach. It's not new, so like an older car you surely anticipate some maintenance.
About 40 years ago we started with tent...then a cabover, then motorhomes. No regrets.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Hey Old Guy Rich.. Don't dispair so soon... I've had three moho's and one VW camper and have enjoyed what they allow me to do. Everyone of the moho's have had issues but nothing that can't be handled. My current is not quite as old as yours and not being mechanically inclined I've put more into it than I planned. The interior is in OK shape, the outside reminds me of a rolling vesrion of Frankensteins monster, but it has character. However, everytime I take it to the local state park on a nice lake I think it was worth the effort.

I don't have a owners manual for it but have managed to figure most things out from trial and error, past experience and when that fails, ask the other fine folks on this site.

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Oldguyrich

Ouch. Things can't be that awful. I have had my MoHo for about a year now and the only thing I know is when I put the key in and turn it, it starts. What else do you need to know. Just ask away. There are alot of smart people on this forum who can help.

jack
I had an '84 31 ft. Pace. Mine came with the manuals.
Have you looked in everywhere for yours. or did the previous owner say that they were lost? In any case turn off the a/c's and microwave and plug it up and start testing switches. Did you do a walk and test everything before you bought it? Post your questions as they come up, we will try to help.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Old Guy Rich... be glad you didn't buy the MFH (motor home from hell) that we had. Bought it from a friends wife after he died. Paid more money than it was worth. Went on a trip with it spent half again as much as we paid for it after it broke down 750 miles from home. Then over a period of 18 months we spent twice as much as we paid for it again......When it broke down on us if we would have known how much of a junker it was we would have walked away from after we signed the title and left on the dashboard......But we sure did have a lot of fun going places in it.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyrich View Post
Hi. My wife and I just got a 1983 Pace Arrow, and know nothing about it... can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about it either...We are brand new at this, and thinking maybe we maybe should have stayed with tents...
If all else fails, find a reputable RV service center and request to pay their best RV tech for an hour's worth of his time. Go in there with a list of questions, but if he knows you know nothing, he will start a typical orientation for you and it will make you feel much better.

We bought a new motorhome and had the typical orientation (PDI) with the dealer, but it was not near long enough. We did what I am suggesting to you and it made a big difference in our knowledge of how systems worked, etc. He charged us for 1 1/2 hours, but he spent about 2 hours with us.

This may cost $100 or so, but it will be worth it compared to where you are now.

Don't give up without a fight.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, talk about "buyers remorse". Or was it given to you ?

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
! Enjoy it's a Fleetwood! We have a 94 pace and you will learn as you go, post any and all questions here and on Rv.net both sites have fantastic folks who know the tips and tricks to save you big bucks and help you enjoy your rig to it's fullest potential. Send a message to Oldusedbear on this and the Rv.net forum, he has the true library on the P series brake issues and will walk you thru any fixes if needed now or just provide you literature for later! I can't agree more with my fellow posters, plug it in and see what does what, you might find switches and fuses in the craziest of places(Engineers do that to taunt us). Make a must have list and a nice to have list for the rig, show DW and then when you go shopping it's the perfect reason to get more tools for the rig! Or maybe another BBQ so you don't ruin the one on the stick house deck.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #10

Ask questions & learn as you go. ThTs how
Most of us have done it
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And if you don't want to ask questions or wait until something bites you in the rear start reading different threads about what others have gone through with any kind of a MH.

Somehow it seems while they are all different they are all the same
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyrich View Post
I just have one question...Does it run? If it does, do what AKADEADEYE told you to do...remember when you bought the Pace, you should have gotten the extended
"Sense Of Humor Package" also.
Good Luck and Enjoy...
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
no, it wasn't given to us...we paid hard earned money for it. .. (my wife is standing behind me slapping me on the head as she read what i wrote. she says" we are not sorry we bought it.." my mistake. It isn't buyers remorse- it is the fear of the unknown..." what is that switch for? doesn't turn anything on as far as i can tell " over and over....glad to hear there are lots of helpful people out there... we are gonna need it...
oldguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #14

Where are you located? There maybe a rv tech in your area that could give the whole thing a once over & show you personaly how everything works, maybe for a small fee, might be worth it. John
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote