Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

New Diesel fuel Additive

Hello,

I am a new member here and am from Newfoundland in Eastern Canada. I have already gained a wealth of knowledge from looking at the various threads here. I plan to buy a 2011 or 2012 DP in the next 12 months. I presently tow a 38ft 5th wheel with a 2008 Ford F350 diesel but as I semi retire we plan to do a bit more travelling and like the look of those big bath & 1/2 rear bath DP's. I am trying to find out all I can prior to my purchase and any suggestion/advice is welcome. I noticed a post mentioning the necessity to add some product to the dieself fuel because of new emissions requirements. As I recall when I bought my 08 F350 it required special diesel fuel that was readily available here in Canada ( I think they call it clean diesel) but not so much available in the US (certain stations only) . Is this the same issue or is this additive something new. i.e. Does it only have to be added if I can't get "clean diesel". Does anyone know what I am talking about? (I'm sure I don't)

Thanks,

Bill
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Bill,
Both US and Canadian law requires ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) in all new diesel engines made since 1/1/2007 (in the USA, anyway). By law, ULSD is all that is sold in the USA these days for on-highway use.

Is that what you were asking about?

You will get more answers to technical questions in some of the other iRV2 forums - this area is primarily to introduce yourself.

By the way, welcome to iRV2!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #3

Is this what you're talking about??

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/urea-tank-68508.html
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Thanks. yes EUREA tank seems to be what I read. How does that work?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

Thanks Gary. I am probably getting the two issues (low sulpher and Eurea ) confused. I will follow your advice re technical questions.

Bill
Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #6

Gary, Didn't realize that was a link. Yes that's exactly what I waswondering about. Thanks so much.

Bill
Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you get a new diesel motorhome, it will probably require what is called Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), a urea based chemical, in addition to ULSD fuel. Most truck stops now carry it in gallon jugs and it is beginning to appear wherever diesel fuel is sold. Dealers for major diesel engine and medium/heavy trucks also carry it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote