Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

New from NJ. Newly retired can't wait to hit the road

Hello All
Love this forum. I have found a lot of interesting info just jumping around. We haven't purchased our RV yet. Going back and forth between a 5th wheel for their living space or a motor home then it's should we do gas or diesel.

Will be going to the show in Hershey in September and would like to have our options narrowed down by then.

Since I am newly retired and my husband has been retired for the last 10 years we are looking to doing a lot of traveling.

Any suggestions on what to look at in either the 5th wheel (husband looking at the Ford F-350 to pull with) 33 to 38 feet or the motor home 38 to 40 feet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy travels

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your retirement! I recently upgraded to a 45' motorhome, but prior to that I had a 40' diesel pusher. Mine was a Forest River Berkshire. For that price point, I thought the Berkshire was a pretty nice unit and I was happy with it. Check it out and see what you think.

As far as gas vs. diesel, I've never owned a gas unit, but my two cents would be if you plan to do a lot of traveling and it fits your budget, I think diesel would be the way to go.

Good luck in your search!

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The one thing that pushed us towards our coach instead of a pull behind was the luxury of me being able to get up and move around while traveling. I have RA and cannot sit for long periods. Being able to use the bathroom and getting a snack is the way to go for us.
We went to the Hershey show last year. It was overwhelming to see all they had to offer. Spent 3 days walking around and didn't see half of what was there.
Good luck on journey. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Barbara

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Wanda! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We love our 40' Monaco Windsor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

Thank you Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
The one thing that pushed us towards our coach instead of a pull behind was the luxury of me being able to get up and move around while traveling. I have RA and cannot sit for long periods. Being able to use the bathroom and getting a snack is the way to go for us.
We went to the Hershey show last year. It was overwhelming to see all they had to offer. Spent 3 days walking around and didn't see half of what was there.
Good luck on journey. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Barbara
I also have RA and we weren't sure if I would be able to handle riding in the motor coach however we did like the idea of me being able to get up and move without my husband having to stop (he is the type that doesn't stop unless he has to lol)

Thank you for your input we do plan on visiting Hershey for 2 days but I would like to have our selection narrowed down so that we are only looking at rigs or 5th wheels that we are interested in and not everything out there.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

Thank you. I have looked at the Berkshire. Looks nice and meets our needs. We just aren't ready to put that kind of money out on our first one. If it doesn't work out for us we don't want to take to big of a hit. However if we find this is something we enjoy a diesel will be in our future
Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #10

Thank you
Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
Before we bought our class A , we used to think of the luxury of being able to get up and move around while underway, to use either the restroom or the kitchen. Other than the usual safety mandates of being "belted in" my better half has found negotiating the motorhome while underway to be an excessively athletic balancing act. For us, in our late 60's, the advantages of a class A break down to: (1) Quick, easy, or no set-up when simply stopped overnight enroute, (2) The availability of the bed, for extended rest while enroute if she is under the weather. ( bad back ) (3) Being able to stop and access the kitchen and rest room during bad weather, without going outside.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #12

Good luck with your search ....
If you're going to be spending extended periods on the road ... keep storage in mind ... also ... if you see the one that totally suits your needs, your first could be your last ... and will likely save some dollars in the long run

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WandaS View Post
I also have RA and we weren't sure if I would be able to handle riding in the motor coach however we did like the idea of me being able to get up and move without my husband having to stop (he is the type that doesn't stop unless he has to lol)

Thank you for your input we do plan on visiting Hershey for 2 days but I would like to have our selection narrowed down so that we are only looking at rigs or 5th wheels that we are interested in and not everything out there.
Just keep in mind that 5th wheels have a lot of steps to endure. Usually 3 or 4 to get into the door and then the steps to get up to the bathroom and bedroom depending on the layout you choose. I know that would get hard on my knees after a while. Our coach has one outer step and then 2 to get up into the coach. But once I am in, I am on flat floors. Again, good luck on your search and enjoy the show.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Welcome Wanda!!
We rented different lengths of Class C's thru the years and a couple of A's. We new from renting that we wanted a Class A.
We wanted a shorter class A than 27 ft. We were thrilled when the AXIS & VEGAS RUVs were introduced! Perfect size for us, 25.5 ft!
Good luck with your research.

sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote