Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Talking New Fulltimers from Minnesota

My wife Sandy, and I, George, just started full-timing. Over the next couple years we will spend 1/2 our time in AZ and TX, the other half in Minn visiting family and friends.
We need to find a "residence".
We've been using Escapees for mail forwarding, so should we just make Texas our home? South Dakota has also been mentioned as a good option for us northerners.

gburke529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Hi there and welcome to full-timing. My wife and I just completed our first year as full-timers and love it. We did 15,000 miles through 31 states. We are currently wintering in TX and plan to head to the Pacific NW in the spring.

Most full-timers establish legal residency in one of the several states that don't have state income taxes. All of them can be used without issues; all of them have pros and cons which people often argue about. South Dakota has a lot of mail forwarding services, but they also exist in Nevada and Florida. Lots of full-timers use the Escapees service in TX.

Although we are Escapees members, we chose to use a mail forwarding service in South Dakota and established residency there. I don't think there is any "right or wrong" answer to this question. We preferred the features of the mail service MyDakotaAddress.com, Mail Forwarding, Mail Receiving, South Dakota Residency over that offered by Escapees and that drove the decision. I definitely do not recommend that you have your mail sent to one state and try to establish residency in another since that could lead to legal issues.

We have found the folks in SD to be very easy to deal with regarding licensing, voter registration, and other issues. That's one of the advantages of having a state with a very small population.

If you have specific questions about full-timing in general or our "first year" experiences, feel free to send me a PM.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi George & Sandy! Welcome to IRV2! I can't answer your question but you'll get plenty of answers from others. Have fun & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello George & Sandy, welcome to the forum. Some friends of mine use the mail service here in Pensacola and have their coach tagged here also. Is there a Florida advantage over any other state? I don't have a clue.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
thanks for the quick replies

very useful, I expected that mailing from one state and having licenses in another could cause issues...on our way back next fall from Minn to AZ, we will probably stop in So Dak for awhile and sign up
gburke529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. When we went full time we decided to go with Escapees all the way. We spend a week in Livingston, Tx at their HQ getting all of our paper work in order and we were on our way. That was >2years ago and we've been very happy with them.

I really liked docj's perspective on the topic though. IMO there's no right or wrong answer to this question... just personal choices made for personal reasons.

Good luck and travel safely.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello George and Sandy! When we went full time last April, we had no idea about Escapees or using SD mail services. We put our daughter on our accounts and have all our mail sent to her home. It works well, because she glances as the mail and if she thinks something needs our imediate attention, she calls us. She also can handle any financial issues for us. We kept all our licence and tags in NC and we park behind her house every now and again when we go to visit the g-kids. Not everyone is able to do that, but it works for us. Safe travels.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Sandy and George! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new life."
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote