Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

New Georgia RV'er (this is your warning!)

Hi Everyone, My name is David and I'm new to RV'ing. I plan on travelling with my wife and 3 young kids and possibly 2 standard (giant) poodles. I'm a techie by trade and mechanically minded so owning a travelling gadget like a motorhome is a perfect fit for us.

I discovered this site while googling questions about general RV maintenance and suggestions. Time and again the irv2 community had great suggestions and informative answers. Naturally, this was the only forum I thought to ask once I found a question I can't seem to "find" on the net.

We have wanted a coach for a long time. Finally this year we managed to save enough to buy our first coach. Mind you, all the liquid cash we have will get us a coach around 20 years old so I suspect I'll be around the vintage coach section most often.

We have looked at a good many coaches and it looks like we are going to buy a 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire that is in pretty good condition. If anybody has or has had an old Mountain Aire and has Pro-Tips to share (look out for this, the xxxx will always act up) feel free to let me know.

David
Bleachedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi David! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

I would be one of those that have a 96 Newmar Mountain Aire. The only problem I have had is a bad fuel pump. Subford, who posts here helped me diagnose the problem.

Other than that, I've had no real problems. I consider the fuel pump to have been a Ford problem and not a problem with Newmar. In fact any time I've contacted Newmar , to get filters for the air conditioning or to replace a missing mirrored backsplash, they've been very helpful.

Good luck, where in Georgia are you?

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad you decided to join us here in the forum. Welcome to the Newmar family.

The Mountain Aire is a well built MH. You shouldn't have many issues with it. You'll find a lot of owners in here in case you have a problem.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

I just sold mine and was a good coach. had the ford 460 and 120,000 miles. at that age i would pay close attention to the roof and tires.
Rhoughton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Funny you should mention the fuel pump. The mechanic I'm buying the coach from just replaced the whole sending unit and he wound up having the tank cleaned because of all the sludge he found in the tank. I guess it's a common problem.

I've been in contact with Newmar a couple of times about changing the free-standing dinette to a booth style so I can seatbelt the kids. I wound up having to ask for an estimate because nobody knew if it could be done and an estimate request was the only way to engage their engineers to look at blueprints to get an answer.

I'm south of Atlanta in Peachtree City, A strange little city where everyone drives golf carts instead of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I would be one of those that have a 96 Newmar Mountain Aire. The only problem I have had is a bad fuel pump. Subford, who posts here helped me diagnose the problem.

Other than that, I've had no real problems. I consider the fuel pump to have been a Ford problem and not a problem with Newmar. In fact any time I've contacted Newmar , to get filters for the air conditioning or to replace a missing mirrored backsplash, they've been very helpful.

Good luck, where in Georgia are you?

Kaye
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

The first thing I'm going to do is replace the tires. I don't even want to mess with being unsure about the condition of the tires.

Probably will replace the roof soon too. Since I don't know how to tell an old rubber roof from a new one other than when it starts to rain inside the coach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoughton1 View Post
I just sold mine and was a good coach. had the ford 460 and 120,000 miles. at that age i would pay close attention to the roof and tires.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

I wouldn't replace those items just because. If you're unsure have someone knowledgeable take a look and go from there. You could be just throwing money away. Your money though, do what makes you feel good.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #10

Before replacing the roof, check out the inside. Ceiling for any signs of leaks, the only area that has leaked on mine is from the front marker lights and only after a heavy rain and then it would leak down the inside of the windshield. Prior to going full-time I did have the rooof joints re-dicored and re-coated. Was told that the rubber was still in good shape .

Also, are any of the original manuals still with the RV? If not, I have them, also have an original video that came with it explaining some of the systems. It's generic to Newmar but has proven useful. Did you know that year Mountain Aire has a tray that slides out to hold a spare tire? In the back storage area on the drivers side you will find a silver T-handle that releases the back bumper allowing it to slide out .

Good luck
Kaye
Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Newmar was, and still is, one of the best Class A mfgrs. out there. A '96 Ford chassis with the 460 motor is fairly good (I had one under a Bounder). Typical issues were the fuel pumps, front brake calipers, kind of a rough ride and cracked/leaking manifolds. Don't expect to get better than 7mpg. Manifolds can be permanently repaired using Banks aftermarket exhaust headers, and the entire motor can be made better with a full Banks intake/exhaust kit but it's relatively expensive. The front calipers have funky pins with a habit of binding up, especially in RVs that don't get used a lot and you'll know when your front brakes start groaning after multiple stops in traffic. There's not much you can do about the rough ride and your tire choices are limited to 16" wheels, usually Michelin Ribs.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

"There's not much you can do about the rough ride and your tire choices are limited to 16" wheels, usually Michelin Ribs."

Sorry to disagree with you, my Mountain Aire is a dream to drive, much better than the older Winnebago Brave I had. The Brave was a white knuckle drive, felt every push-pull of big and not so big rigs passing. The Mountain Aire I can sit back and enjoy with one hand on the wheel. As for tires, I have Toyos. I haven't had one problem with them, ride is nice and smooth. I do agree with the Banks system though, I average about 8 mpg and that's towing a fairly heavy car on a tow dolly. Then again I don't have a heavy foot on the gas pedal.