Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
New guy from Florida

Hi, I am new to being a member but have been lurking on this site and others for information for a while. I havenít bought a RV yet but I am actively looking. I am retired military, kids are grown (well they think they are) and no DW to tell me what to do. I want to go see America, spend time in the places I have flown over or drove by without the time to enjoy it.

My plan is to buy a used older DP MH(Ď92-Ď96) or what fits into my budget. I plan to tow my older Ď90 Toyota 4x4 (2700 pounds) with about a 325 pound super jet (old school jet ski) in the bed incase the places I stop are friendly to that sort of thing. If this adventure goes for 6 months or 5 years I am sure it will be worth it.

I have budgeted each month 500 for fuel, 400 for food, 450 for camp fees, 500 for the maintenance fund, 600 for odds and ends (ins, phone, satellite, tags, and such) and having other money left over for spending as I see fit. I will be debt free when I depart here except possibly my newer truck or if I go with a newer MH and have to get a loan to assist with it. I can sell my newer truck any time and make a few grand off it if need be. Itís just not in my budget to have a truck and motorhome payment.

I would plan to boondock half the time and stay at CGs or other parks the other half. I would also invest in a solar power system to help with the batteries. My plan as it is now would be to get the MH and do any maintenance and renovations needed. Then to learn the systems I will park it for a month or so at the base FamCamp and alternate living there and the house I currently live at. Once all bugs are worked out and I know the MH inside and out I will wait until March to finish downsizing my belongings and then quit my job (if I am not laid off before then) and hit the road.
My first year I plan on hitting the Midwest to see my kiddos, then from there head up to New England to visit friends and families, then back to see the kids before heading back here to florida or the south west for the winter. Then as soon as possible in the spring head up to see the kids again and then slowly make my way to Alaska and visiting the northern states and attractions along the way. I will need probably 4 times the fuel money once my Alaska trek begins and that should be doable. Otherwise I will be SOL. After Alaska itís all up in the air.

I think my plan will work the real issue comes down to the MH, whether I should get a DP or go with a gas unit. But I am heavily leaning towards the DP. If you see any flaws in my plan please let me know.

Rick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Here's hoping your budget outweighs your expenses. Sounds like a great plan.

seejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Send a message via Yahoo to syensam
Your plans are very precise and clear Rick. Great to read about them.
Transmission flush
syensam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club

There will always be bugs ,you have a house going over bad roads at 60 mph..stuff happens . have fun.

Wayne and Debbie
2014 Gateway 3650BH
2008 F350 dually diesel .
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us. I'm sure someone will give you some advice on your plans. Hope all works out be safe and Happy Motoring!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick! Welcome to IRV2! Good luck on your adventure!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
I am sure my budget will out weigh my expenses, especially when I get the hang of it. Either way I will come out on top. I am planning on checking out 3 MHs this weekend I hope one will fit my needs or help in the search for the one I want at the price I want.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Any luck on a purchase?
seejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome Rick! Sounds like you have put lots of thought into your plan. Good luck with your new adventure.

Skip & Pat
Prince, our Siberian Husky and Tori, our Yorkie
SkiPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Welcome to the froum...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
No luck on finding one yet. There are alot of people that exaggerate the condition of their coach. I plan on taking a ride to Alabama this week to take a look at another one. But I have time to browse still. I would like to find one in the next 6 weeks or so.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
what part of Alabama?

Dragging a 2011 Honda CRV 2006 Gold Wing Trike
mutt dog ( My buddy) and the boss woman
Roger D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
The MH is over in Gulf Shores, about an hour and a half drive for me. I just hate driving over there after work.