Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #1

New guy from MS

Hey all, I just bought a new (to me at least) 1978 Titan. The family and I (wife and 3 daughters) have always enjoyed camping, but with my wife's arthritis the tents and sleeping bags have had to go bye bye. Overall the Titan is in really good condition, heck shes only 5 years younger than me and is probably in much much better shape , but does require a bit of work to get her back on the road (and now the fun begins ).

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, but usually the family just considers me Mr Fixit to anything around the house that breaks... I am hoping to get this old girl roadworthy enough to take a trip to the coast before the girls go back to school, with enough luck we should be able to make it.

Rob & Connie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #2

Welcome Rob. Here's wishing you much success with your project. Be sure to blow out the burners on the appliances before you try to fire them up if that coach has been setting. Spiders, etc love LP.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rob & Connie;

Welcome to iRV2. There is a wealth of information available to you here. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group here who like to help when they can. Post often and share your project with us. A few pictures are always good.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If you are ever in the Columbus area, give us a shout!
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the encouragement, gotta get a few pictures taken to post up of her. Most of the work is going to be in the drivetrain area (carb, brakes, and tires are the 1st priority). I know the 440 cranks and runs, but is running too rich( stuck float or crud in the needle valve), got it sitting in a tub of berrymans as I type this out. Hoping to get the carb and brakes fixed this weekend so I can start flushing out the motor and transmission.

Here is a shot off her nose, it's so old school it's awesome lol.

Hope the attachment works right ( using the phone app lol)

Oh an teacherz, we live in Caledonia and I work on base
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1510961515.png
Views:	97
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	11772  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I'll give you a shout the next time we go to Dewayne Hayes.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Rob, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Titan. She looks pretty good from the front. You need to post some inside pics. PS, I worked on jets in the Navy. Loved it. Built 2 of my own airplanes also.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like we have some old aircraft mechanics browsing this site too.

Spent two years at NAS Meridian, MS 68-69 as a jet mechanic. Rebuilt my 1956 TriPacer in 1988.

Dave
Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #9

Dave, Not old, just well seasoned...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2 and enjoy.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rob, welcome to the forum! That rig is gonna be some kind of fun. I bet you she will be a great conversation starter at any campground. We are camping at Lake Lowndes this weekend.
Jambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Hey all, I just bought a new (to me at least) 1978 Titan. The family and I (wife and 3 daughters) have always enjoyed camping, but with my wife's arthritis the tents and sleeping bags have had to go bye bye. Overall the Titan is in really good condition, heck shes only 5 years younger than me and is probably in much much better shape , but does require a bit of work to get her back on the road (and now the fun begins ).

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, but usually the family just considers me Mr Fixit to anything around the house that breaks... I am hoping to get this old girl roadworthy enough to take a trip to the coast before the girls go back to school, with enough luck we should be able to make it.

Rob & Connie
Hi Rob! Welcome to the forum. Always good to hear from other RV'ers in the Columbus area.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #13

Here is a few more pics, mostly of the inside. Keep having to get the girls to move their stuff back to their room( in the stationary house) almost daily . They just want to make sure they are ready to go as soon as I get it running lol.

That's pretty cool Dave and John, I've been working out at CAFB now for close to 13 years now. Wish I could build my own, family doesn't do well in smaller planes ( god knows I've tried getting them to fly with me when I get the chance). Probably will be building us a small cabin cruiser (sailboat) here in the next couple of years instead. They do ok on the water, guess they feel that they can swim better than they can fly if something happens lol.

Thanks Joe for the welcome, looks like quite a few of us around here. Curiosity has gotten the best of me, my Dad used to work with a Jim Minyard several years ago.. I was wondering if y'all might might be related. If not sorry for asking, if so I'm going to start humming "it's a small world" lol.

Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3375961988.png
Views:	97
Size:	771.4 KB
ID:	11793   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3502909647.png
Views:	92
Size:	870.9 KB
ID:	11794  

Name:	image-375370062.png
Views:	96
Size:	785.9 KB
ID:	11795   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3104795537.png
Views:	96
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	11796  

Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rob,
She looks good inside! I bet you will be really proud of her when you get through. I have heard of a Jim Minyard who was a professor at MSU but there is no relation that I'm aware of. There are a lot of Minyards over around Carrollton and in the delta, but again no known relation. I guess with a name like that there must be some connection somewhere in the past.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote