Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

New Guy with a Problem

New, first post. Have a Londonaire. It's been sitting for awhile. The AZ sun fried the chassis batteries. Put two new ones on. Starts and runs for 1 minute and dies. Noticed that I have NO 12 volt power in the whole coach. I've read that it could be the small reset on the converter circuit breaker. I'm guessing that my coach batteries are toast, but haven't tested them yet. Any ideas are appreciated.

I first thought fuel filter but it will fire right back up after a few minutes. That's why I'm leaning toward electrical. Does the coach have an engine kill sensor if you don't have any 12 volt power?

Cowboy
CowboyBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

Welcome to i Rv2.

Could you add info on your coach year and engine to your post
Start and run problems vary widely by the fuel system in use ; as do electrical distribution issues .
By all means check your coach batteries, you have to have good power from the battery bank before you can continue diagnosis through the system.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CowboyBagger,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum. I doubt the sun had anything to do with the chassis batteries going bad. To help yo we need more information.
1. Was the coach connected to shore power during its sitting time?
2. Was anyone using the coach during this time?
3. About how long was the coach sitting?
4. Year of coach.

Please let us know so we can help.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #4

You have multiple issues. The chassis batteries have very little with 12VDC in coach.
1) 12VDC in coach, do you know about the battery disconnect switch by the door? That controls the 12VDC throughout coach.

2) The engine running issue probably a fuel filter issue, not battery. What voltages are you reading on the silverleaf display? 12VDC and 120VAC

3) When did the coach last run? Give some details about the storage conditions, how, what, why.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't have a clue!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
You have multiple issues. The chassis batteries have very little with 12VDC in coach.
1) 12VDC in coach, do you know about the battery disconnect switch by the door? That controls the 12VDC throughout coach.

2) The engine running issue probably a fuel filter issue, not battery. What voltages are you reading on the silverleaf display? 12VDC and 120VAC

3) When did the coach last run? Give some details about the storage conditions, how, what, why.
Agree it's likely fuel filters. The fact that it restarts after a short time leads to that. When you start it and it runs until it quits it's using all the fuel it can suck through quick enough to run. After it dies there is still suction on the line which will draw enough fuel through to allow it to start again, but again will die shortly.
The fact that it's been sitting for awhile without being used leads to algae growing in the fuel system. Very likely that's the problem.
In 1997 I believe the fuel system was still the old mechanical system, not the newer electronics of today. So probably not any electrical issue.
Also like others have stated, house batteries have no connection to engine running.
First step, change all fuel filters and look for green slime on the filters.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

It's a 2001 Londonaire 45' with 500 hp Cummins N14. It's been sitting not plugged in for 12 months.

Ryan
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBagger View Post
It's a 2001 Londonaire 45' with 500 hp Cummins N14. It's been sitting not plugged in for 12 months.

Ryan
Change the fuel filters and check for algae. 12 months is along time to sit.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #9

Did you purchase it from a dealer or private party? If from a dealer I would have them fix it. Even if you bought it “as is” there is an implied warranty that the product will perform as it is supposed to and a dealer has a higher standard than a private party who is not in the business of selling RVs
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CowboyBagger,
Do what others have recommended on the fuel filters and put algicide in the fuel tank. Consider purchasing 6 fuel filters (there may be a water separator also you will need to buy an equal number of them). Until the fuel tank is cleaned out the filters will continue to clog.

On the electrics, start from scratch.
1. Fully charge the batteries.
2. If they are wet cells fill with distilled water.
3. Recharge
4. Load test them or have the local auto parts store load test them.
5. Consider purchasing a load tester as a tool for your tool kit bag.
6. Now you know if the batteries need replacing or there is something else wrong.

Please post an update.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to forum and irv2.
All good advise. Batteries maybe a problem if not chargeable, before changing anything take pictures of position of battery's on tray, positions of + & - of batteries on tray, battery cables and any special wiring on batteries such as small wiring.
Your possible fuse panels, Bird charging system for batteries. Once you have batteries corrected plug in shore power cord to at least 110-120 so BIRD System can keep all your batteries charged. If you have to get coach home to work on just change your chassis batteries first, so you can drive and get there than work on house batteries.
Thread on 97 London Aire. --- 2001 Brochure ---- Owners Guide
I would change diesel fuel and transmission fluid, jack fluid may need to be topped off plus new grease added to grease fittings.
Some of the info given on old 97 maybe old for your coach but the info will be same info for your 2001 as the how it should function system function do not change that much.
This link will lead you to more info about your coach in the TSB LINK.
Take your time much info and some work ahead for you but it will be worth it you have a great coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Did you purchase it from a dealer or private party? If from a dealer I would have them fix it. Even if you bought it “as is” there is an implied warranty that the product will perform as it is supposed to and a dealer has a higher standard than a private party who is not in the business of selling RVs
I bought this coach in 2008 from a private party with 19K miles on it. My wife was a horse trainer and we used it to travel to different horse shows. She got out of horses and as you can tell, our usage of the coach has declined.

Ryan
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4466344]Welcome to forum and irv2.
All good advise. Batteries maybe a problem if not chargeable, before changing anything take pictures of position of battery's on tray, positions of + & - of batteries on tray, battery cables and any special wiring on batteries such as small wiring.
Your possible [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/help-with-fuse-panel-on-97-london-aire-316805.html#post3336522
fuse panels[/URL][/B], Bird charging system for batteries. Once you have batteries corrected plug in shore power cord to at least 110-120 so BIRD System can keep all your batteries charged. If you have to get coach home to work on just change your chassis batteries first, so you can drive and get there than work on house batteries.
Thread on 97 London Aire. --- 2001 Brochure ---- Owners Guide
I would change diesel fuel and transmission fluid, jack fluid may need to be topped off plus new grease added to grease fittings.
Some of the info given on old 97 maybe old for your coach but the info will be same info for your 2001 as the how it should function system function do not change that much.
This link will lead you to more info about your coach in the TSB LINK.
Take your time much info and some work ahead for you but it will be worth it you have a great coach.
Thanks for the advice and the links. My coach is the coach that is on the 2001 Londonaire Brochure.

Ryan
Old 10-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

I would start by adding some additive to the fuel it’s probably real crappy by now follow by filters change and water/fuel separator.

Zzotte