Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

New here and hundreds of questions...

Hello,
First off, hello everyone! My wife, myself and our two year old are about go go full time for a year or two. I have hundreds of questions for everyone. I have been reading up, watching youtube and searching google but maybe I can get some advice from you all.

I work from home and need great internet so I can do video calls once or twice a day. The rest is just software development which doesn't require much internet. 3-5mbps should be fine. I plan to get data cards with the top 4 carriers to ensure I have internet. I can bind them with a campground WiFi so I should be ok? If for some reason internet isn't good we will move on.

Since we plan to do this for a year or two, I am looking at a used 2002 Expedtion 34ft Diesel Pusher Motorhome With 2 Slide Outs. I always hear diesel is better and I am pulling a MB GLA250 (light, AWD mini SUV) in a car trailer. I am looking for something around 35K. They are asking 27.5 for this one with 120K miles. That a good deal? The only problem we have found is it is hard to find a good motorhome that has a "play" area for our 2yo. Any other models I should look at? I am in Austin, TX and don't mind traveling a bit to buy one.

I have tons more but mostly just saying hi and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Josh
jbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #2

and you found the right place because there are thousands of answers here to your hundreds of questions.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of info available to you here. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Our members like to help when they can. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Josh! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I wouldn't count on the campground WiFi! Too many inconsiderate folks are using them for streaming movies and videos, leaving NO bandwidth for others!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

Typically motor homes are 2 person rigs. Most do not have a permanent bed for more. Making up a couch or dining table might be OK for a weekend, but every night? NAW!
Depending on where you plan to park wifi likely will not support video conferencing except maybe at 3AM. Same trying to use cell technology. Speed may just not be there. Heck, we spend most of the past summer lucky to get 1G service. Internet? Not! We go there not for internet, but because it is a beautiful place. RV parks with decent internet are going to mainly be close to towns and cities. Places not conducive to a real RV experience. Heck, if thats what tour loking for, go rent an apartment.
As for that MH your checking out , you again might find the 10 year rule forces you to park in less than desirable parks. How do you plan to use this RV? Park for weeks at a time in one place or move every few days. Move every few days, then a MH might be OK. Parking for weeks at a time is hard on a MHs drive train, so it might not be your best idea. For your budget you might be better off considering a newer full sized van and a TT.