Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

New here new to RV'ing

Hello, I am totally new to this I can't even get my generator running. The dealer I bought it from had no clue either. I am in Santa Clara California for work so any help in the area would be appreciated!
JasenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You can start by posting what you have in RV, Model, make, chassis, and Genny info.

they love pictures here also
Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello JasonK and welcome to irv2.com , Gensets can be temperamental. Some things to check:

Do you have a full tank of gas in the RV? Most generators will cut off at 1/2 tank of gas so that you can theoretically get home.

Is it cold where you are? My own generator has a tough time starting when it's below 32 degrees. Sometimes I just have to wait until it warms up to 50-60 degrees.

If your battery is low the genset sometimes won't start. I often start the RV and let it run a bit, then try starting the generator.

Finally, check to make sure that all hoses and cables around the generator are firmly connected and connected to something else.

if all else fails, take it to an authorized dealer for that brand of genset. It may need servicing. Mine wouldn't start last fall and needed a new fuel pump.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you can find some help there!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Flair. My generator won't even click I have an electrical issue I am guessing. I bought it and have never had the generator started. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485729885.793630.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	150353

Also is there anyone in the Bay Area of California that knows of a park or anywhere I can park this beast. I can't find a park that allows motor homes older than 2000. Bertha runs good and idles perfectly and if I can plug in obviously she's very quiet.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You can go to this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/ post your information along with the make of the generator. How handy are you with a volt/ohm meter? If it wont even click I would go to the starter on the genny and check for voltage or try jumping the starter to see if it will turn over the genny.

Some RV resorts will not except MH over 10 years old. I can't help you in your area.

Thanks for the pix ...looks good
Old 01-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #7

Good luck and hope you get it fixed soon.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Thank you I am pretty good at following directions just no so good at trouble shooting. Can I jump the starter of the genny with my pick up and jumper cables?

Bartlesville I have a bunch of family from there. I was there as a kid but I do not remember much. Sorry got a little excited I don't see Bartlesville ever thank you again.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasenK View Post
Thank you I am pretty good at following directions just no so good at trouble shooting. Can I jump the starter of the genny with my pick up and jumper cables?

Bartlesville I have a bunch of family from there. I was there as a kid but I do not remember much. Sorry got a little excited I don't see Bartlesville ever thank you again.
NO don't use jumper cables. I will PM you
Old 01-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #10

Ok you can find me on FB also Jasen King (check the spelling) mine is different then what is common
Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving