Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

new in Washington state

Hi everyone. My wife, two little ones, and myself are 2 weeks into a earnest hunt for a Class C that we can't live without. I found this site a few days ago and it has already been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to everyone who shares their experiences with us newbies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey Bart, welcome to IRV2!

Now that you've found us, don't be shy about either asking questions, or in keeping us up to date on your RV hunt and subsiquent adventures. It we aren't out in our own RVs, we at least can vicariously enjoy the hobby by reading about your adventures.

Happy trails...

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Welcome Bart. What part of Washington are you in? Great place to help answer your question. Also let us know what you are planning to buy or what you have already bought.

Happy Camping
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Tacoma and am looking at few RVs, some new and some between 2004 and 2008. When I get off work I will be throwing out some questions. Thanks again
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Welcome Bart. What part of Washington are you in? Great place to help answer your question. Also let us know what you are planning to buy or what you have already bought.

Happy Camping
Arnold

Hi Arnold,

Right now we have our eye on a loaded 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 26q. It looks sharp, now I just need to do my homework. This forum makes the process a lot less overwhelming.

-Bart
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I found my new class C on RV Trader® - RVs - Fleetwood, Airstream, Winnebago, Keystone, Forest River, Newmar RVs and More - RVTrader.com. You can search by many options. I chose a new RV after reading posts here about all the challanges many used rigs can have. If you don't have the time, tools, temperment and talent to work on one, consider new. RVT.com® | RVs For Sale, Used RV, Travel Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers | Traders and Dealers, SELL RVs Online is another good site.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craigslist is also a good choice for looking. Just make sure you do your due diligence and probably a professional inspection.

We are in Portland and bought ours from a Boise, Idaho dealer. LOTS of internet photos, video, and communications. Quick flight to Boise & easy drive home. Ours was/is an "orphan" which was brand new. SUPER price!
Frantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

We found our rig in the local paper in Mount Vernon. It was still in the hands of the original owner and is in excellent shape. My take on new vs. used is that a gently used rig, 3 or 4 years old, will have had all the manufacturing defects taken care of and should be relatively trouble free for several years.

We were budget limited and so went to an 8-year-old rig. No problems so far except rotted-out slide toppers. We did put new tires on, as it had the original 2001 OEM tires.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We found our rig in the local paper in Mount Vernon. It was still in the hands of the original owner and is in excellent shape. My take on new vs. used is that a gently used rig, 3 or 4 years old, will have had all the manufacturing defects taken care of and should be relatively trouble free for several years.

We were budget limited and so went to an 8-year-old rig. No problems so far except rotted-out slide toppers. We did put new tires on, as it had the original 2001 OEM tires.
Thanks for the advice. We are in the same boat. We are looking at the Tioga from a original owner but they are about $1000 above high retail NADA with just mileage factored in. I don't want to beat them up on the price but I wonder what could be fair for both of us.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart the Hat View Post
Thanks for the advice. We are in the same boat. We are looking at the Tioga from a original owner but they are about $1000 above high retail NADA with just mileage factored in. I don't want to beat them up on the price but I wonder what could be fair for both of us.
While prices can be regional (worth more or less in your part of the country vs mine) I don't see the current market supporting prices "above high retail..." anywhere, no matter how nice, but again, none of us are there to see it.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
While prices can be regional (worth more or less in your part of the country vs mine) I don't see the current market supporting prices "above high retail..." anywhere, no matter how nice, but again, none of us are there to see it.
In email communication they are quoting the NADA with the features factored in, which after researching doesn't seem accurate as they put a additional dollar amount to standard features. Super low miles but a 2005 w/ original tires so I suspect I'd need new. They are at 39,995 and NADA w/ mileage adjustment is 32,352-38,974. I guess I'll throw a low number, what's the worse they can do........email a dirty look
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like you're on top of it. Adding additional $ for items that are standard on your model is very common, especially in the RV world. The options list is very generic and the same for virtually all RVs, regardless of make or model. There's just too many possible combinations to do it otherwise. This should also help give you some leverage when negotiating, not to mention the depressed market. If you don't get it for your offer amount, don't give up. When they still own it a month, or two, or three from now, they'll probably be a bit more flexible.

Good luck.

2017 GMC Acadia toad