Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
New Member, a little advice

I'm recently retired and strongly considering purchase of an RV, I'm in the initial 'investigation' stage. I've looked at a number of types and lean heavily towards a Class A with a diesel, size around 30'.

My question - As a first timer RV'er is a 'smaller' Class A a wise/good choice, I plan on towing a Geo Tracker. Travelling 3-4 months a year.

I've 'lurked' on the site and have learned a lot, but it's never enough, I'm sure I'll be back.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Barti Ddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You are the only one who can decide that. I went with a 26 foot Class A for the following reasons..

1) only two of us
2) can pull it into almost anyplace
3) I do not need a toad and have no intention of pulling one
4) I use it for one two week trip a year and several small trips.
5) no intention of selling Home and going full time.
6)I can maintain it.
7) setup at site is simple, quick.

1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
We started out looking for a 32' MH and ended up with a 36' MH, with two slides and a bath and a half set up. We are really glad we went bigger than planned and have really enjoyed ours. So far using both State and private CG's we have never had an issue getting a spot. You will get used to the length after a few trips and if you plan longer trips you will appreciate the extra room and storage capacity.

We went with a new MH and the gas model for several reason and I can do all my own maintenance. The best thing you can do is take your time and do your research to find the best MH for your needs.

I spent two years looking and researching. Spend some time on this site and read up on all the brands, see what people like/dislike, problems they have had , time in the shop, overall satisfaction. You will start to develop a better sense of what you need/want. Then go out and look at as many as you can and drive as many as you can as they will vary in performance and quality brand by brand. You will then have a good sense of what you really want in quality, price, size and floorplan.

If you spend the time now you will end up with a MH you love, and will have fun with for years rather than regretting your purchase and selling it to get what you really wanted the first time. Pay attention to price as at the starting price point a few thousand dollars more can buy you a much better MH than you would expect. Good luck and remember looking for one is half the fun.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

For that much travel, a diesel pusher would be my choice!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HI Barti,

Welcome to the forum. The best advice I got from people here was to go to RV shows and sit inside the size you are considering. Sit a while. If it is raining will there be enough room. Do you have enough room in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room? Is there enough storage for whatever you need to take with you?

Were do you plan to travel? Do you need a diesel due to mountain travel or do you plan to stay pretty flat? Do you want new or do you want to buy used until you figure out you really want to do this. Floor plans are important. Does it work for you or not? It really needs to work for you or you won't be comfortable.

Take your time and look at a lot of rigs. Good luck, Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Some parks, especially out west, have 35 ft max RV size, you could get away with a 36ft. However there are usually private parks nearby that can take 40 to 45 foot coaches so you really don't have to miss anything you might want to see. If staying IN the park is a priority then stick with a 36 or below.
IMHO there is not much difference in handling a 30 ft. or a 36 fT. Don't be afraid of size as you will soon be comfortable with what ever size you get.
I would recommend a drivers course of some kind. Lazy Days has a short course that is quite good. There are others that are more in depth. Either way take one if you can.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
We first started looking for an RV in the mid 90's, my wife wanted small <25'. We looked at Class C's because of the bunk setup, my wife was showing smaller dogs and could use this for the crates. Fortunately she was out of town one weekend in 1997 and I found a listing for an RV dealer having a liquidation auction. I went to it and bought a 31' Class C. Turns out it worked just fine and although a little intimidated at first both me and my wife learned to drive without a problem.

Fast forward to the mid 2000's and we started to look for a larger Class A, I wanted a pusher. In 2008 we found a Monaco Windsor 38PKD, 2 slides and all the bells and whistles. We are now spoiled and doubt we could go smaller. We pull a Jeep GC, don't even know it's back there, coach has lots of power. The layout works well for us. Lots of storage and the larger coach has more fresh, black, and grey water storage so we can go without hookups at dog shows longer
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
You can add the NE to a lot of places to camp that cannot handle much more than 30 ft. It's the old campgrounds set up for a car and a tent.

In that size range the only "advantage" I see to a diesel is a significantly higher cost.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #10

Take your time & enjoy the search adventure .... It took us almost 2 years .....
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

Thanks to all who responded, your feedback is much appreciated.

I'll continue to investigate, and look at the actual vehicles.

and I'm sure "I'll be back" with more questions.

Thanks again.
Barti Ddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
Welcome to the forum Barti Ddu and congratulations on your recent retirement (Both DW and I retire in 2 weeks!!!). All who responded offered terrific advice. You are on the right path in your research. It took us slightly over two years to get us to this point. Time very well spent, IMHO. The correct couch will make itself known to you in time. Enjoy the process.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, new member