Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

New Member, Bill Lynch

Hello all, I'm Bill Lynch from Southern California. I have never had an RV before. Still don't but it's time to start shopping and see where the road takes us.

Back in the 1970's I worked for Contempo Campers in California building camper vans and surfer vans. That's as close as I got.

Have a great day!

-Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #2

Welcome, Bill. We've had a few RV's over the years, in our case focused more on supporting other activities like off roading, racing, etc. Take your time shopping, and you'll soon define what style you're attracted to.
BEWARE: I recommend believing about 5% max of what an RV sales person tells you. Most of them have very little real product knowledge, but are overflowing with b.s. The worst I've encountered are the sun baked, high mileage, lot rats that claim to have been RV'ing for 100 years. Take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt. find the best RV for you, at the best price.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
... BEWARE: I recommend believing about 5% max of what an RV sales person tells you.

...Take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt. find the best RV for you, at the best price.
Thanks for the tips Automoblist !
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Bill Lynch,
WELCOME TO THE BEST RV FORUM AND FRIENDS PLACE IN ETHERLAND!!!!!!!!

DON'T BUY ANY MOTORHOME WITHOUT HAVING AN RV MECHANIC 'YOU TRUST COMPLETELY GO THROUGH IT...TOP TO BOTTOM !!! GET ALL MANUALS
AND MAINTAINENCE RECORDS FOR EVERYTHING IN OR ON IT !!!!!!!!! Find the RV mechanic through PERSONAL REFERENCES or ASK on here for someone in your area... You'll get the good ones and which ones to RUN from... Everybody on iRV2 has 'war-stories' and are not afraid to 'tell-it
like it-is' .....

AGAIN, WELCOME !!!!!! Smooth roads & balmy breezes !!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Rent first. And welcome.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome Bill!
I Agree with the crowd but add- go to the nearest campground talk to the hosts, the campers in all different kinds of rigs, bring a notebook and take notes because you will get more info than you can deal with first time out! Make sure you tell them why your asking and you will get some great info.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Good luck in your search for your RV. Keep us posted as you begin your search.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #8

Thanks everyone !!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Hey Bill, welcome. I'm in same "boat" you are, starting my research, whoohoo! So I'm dove-dailing on advise given you.

Folks w/ 2 dogs & a cat, I need to "talk" to you as that will be my situation. It is a non-option, they are coming with, but want to be realistically prepared so as to avoid disappointment. I'm up for the challenge, they are my family.

I'll go back and find the link to RV mechanic recommendations.

Keep in touch, Bill:^)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

We did rent an Airstream in Las Vegas for a weekend last December. (I'm partial to Airstream).

It was a great experience but since the trailer is permanently on site, you don't tow it or travel with it.

Also, I'm very interested in vintage (73-78) GMC motorhomes but Jane is not on board with "vintage".
Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi View Post
Hey Bill, welcome. I'm in same "boat" you are, starting my research, whoohoo! So I'm dove-dailing on advise given you.

Folks w/ 2 dogs & a cat, I need to "talk" to you as that will be my situation. It is a non-option, they are coming with, but want to be realistically prepared so as to avoid disappointment. I'm up for the challenge, they are my family.

Hi Robi, I found this forum on iRV2: RV'ing with Pets - iRV2 Forums
Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi View Post

Robi, I'll give you this food for thought based on our experience travelling two small dogs. We bought a Class A because we liked the room and view while travelling. Little did we know that we also like the view from our 'picture window' when parked in an RV park. ...and guess what, the dogs love it also! It makes them feel that they have some control of their surroundings. ....which can be good or bad depending on how much they bark. Of course, you have always pull the screen!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
When we start fulltiming, we intend to have chips inserted (especially the cat) in the event any of them lose their way. They all travel very well. The large dog (boxer mix) and the cat (never out of his cage) ride in the back seat of the truck and the Jack Russell rides up front. We have doggy seat belts (a must).

Inside the 5er, Ollie the cat, likes the closet shelf or sitting on the dining chair doing his favorite past time - bird watching. The dogs lay wherever they wish. We have a deeded lot and it is fairly large and wooded so they have plenty of room outside. They also do fine at commercial campgrounds.

As soon as the cat cage comes out, they get very excited. Know it's time to go.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
We did rent an Airstream in Las Vegas for a weekend last December. (I'm partial to Airstream).

It was a great experience but since the trailer is permanently on site, you don't tow it or travel with it.

Also, I'm very interested in vintage (73-78) GMC motorhomes but Jane is not on board with "vintage".

Airstream = very cool.

A great way to go would be to get a "vintage" Airstream trailer, but a late model tow vehicle. Plenty of older Airstreams available, and you can remodel it to your heart's content. We've been looking into getting one to make into a cool retro pool house. There are many reasons to avoid an ancient motorhome, though there are some really neat ones: Airstream (yes, they made an awesome version of the roundy trailers) GMC, FMC, Revcon, Travco. Clark's are ok, but really old and only 20'. Look online at the others, and you'll love them. They've got style, versus a clunky old Winnebago, Pace Arrow, Executive, Hawkins, etc.
GMC's are definitely the most popular old motorhomes. Prices seem to run from $3500 for a clunker, to $10,000-16,000 for a nicely redone one, to $50k for one completely remanufactured. You can also get a decent old Airstream coach in the $8k-12k range. Personally, I would choose the Airstream. I would ONLY consider a vintage coach if you're a superb mechanic, and aren't scared of spending as much as 100% of the purchase price on repairs, renovation. Check out airforums com.

Ed