Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
New member check-in... just signed up today...

Hi all, I do not have my wheels just yet, I am in the planning stage... I want to be as knowledgeable as possible. I think my 2 biggest concerns are:

#1) Safety, being a single female on the road... so if anyone has any advice, please help me out because my parents are going to hit the ceiling when they find out what I plan to do... well, at least my father will anyway! My mother will just want me to send photos! LOL. But seriously, my father will probably shed a tear, or a few over it.

#2) 5th wheel or class a or c??? I love the idea of a fifth wheel and the fact that if I stay somewhere for an extended period of time that I can just detach and go. I do plan to have extended stays with friends and family here and there. But in all my reading I see many reasons why a 5th wheel might not be the best way to go for a solo female. I don't want something huge, but I want the freedom to go when I want to and where I want to. A 5th wheel might not be a smart idea if I am in between places and need to sleep in a walmart parking lot for the night, I am big on trying to avoid/not invite danger into my life, and having to get out of a truck to walk to my camper might not be smart at 3am in a strange town. If I for some reason or another felt unsafe I would have to find a way to the truck cab in order to leave. If I had the class a or c then I could just walk (or crawl) up to the front seat, start the truck and go if I felt I was in danger. I am trying to come up with every way that I will be able to soothe my fathers worries... car alarm: these can be installed on and will work ok on campers, right? And as long as I have a stable internet connection I could setup cameras and let my friends and family check on me and outside my camper via ustream or something??? Of course then I would need a good supply of power. And what does everyone use for internet? I need it for my business and that has me worried too.

#3) So I guess I have an extra concern, being the internet connection question.

I have a lot more to find out about, but those are my mind battles for the time being, if I can get past these issues then I am one step closer to being road bound.

Any thoughts from my future camping buddies?

Thanks all! And can't wait to meet everyone!!!

kymbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome! Sounds like a great adventure you are planning. Personally, if I were solo...I'd choose a smallish Class A or C with a small toad (towed vehicle). The most important feature of an RV is the "livability"...how well the layout suits your needs.

You can have internet connectivity with 3G-4G cellphone data plans. There's lots of info in the technical section further down on the forum. Have fun.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Theres a ton of good info to be found here....as for internet..we have gone with Millenicom for our internet on the road....check it out, its probably the best priced plans Millenicom | Wireless Broadband Plans As for a rig....well thats a personal thing....We have a 5er. We like the seperate vehicle that as you say detaches from the rig. But class A's and C's have advantages...its a personal choice....get a lot of info and make an informed choice....good luck....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I personally would like a shorter class A 34 ft 36 ft with 3 or 4 slides, the biggest motor you can get, and I would keep my Jeep Cherokee Sport, easy pull , great for all weather. We like taking it out in the desert. Good Luck and welcome.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Sounds like you are preparing for a great adventure. Welcome to the forum. Lots of answers and opinions here.

Your safety concerns are valid, especially in strange areas. We like the security of our motor home. We can stop at a rest area in a strange area for breakfast or lunch and be very comfortable without ever having to unlock the doors. We prefer campgrounds with hookups to Walmart in the evening, but having the option is certainly welcome. Stop in areas where there are other RVs parked. We have a tendancy to look out for each other.

For internet, we depend on wifi hotspots. Having wifi available at campgrounds is becoming more and more common. We have even discovered wifi connections occasionally at some highway rest areas. We use the internet to maintain contact with family, checking email and browsing. We aren't trying to run a business on the road so if we don't have a connection for a couple of days it is not critical to us. For a business you might consider something like Verizon's "mifi", which is really a 3g or 4g personal router, of course you need to be in a 3g or 4g service area for it to work. Not familiar with the other companies, but I'm sure they have similar systems.

From your description we would opt for a small class A or C and consider towing a small car. If your A or C are small enough you may not need the toad, or you can usually find an Enterprise (they pick you up) rental in the area.

You have lots to consider, ask lots of questions and enjoy the journey. BTW, remember it's Dad's job to be concerned about his daughter!
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site.
I would have a preference for a 5th wheeler, but its a purely personal choice and depends on how and where you travel and cost.
Security is relative. If you feel afraid in a certain area, you should not be there. Best security (and a friend) is a dog. Once we were parked in the middle of nowhere, pure desert, when we were woken up by the sherif to move to the nearest policestation for the remainder of the night, because the area was flooded by escaped inmates. You never can tell!

My website describes the conversion of my Dodge B-250 van into a small RV. I deal with a lot of woodworking, but hope to be quite specific on solar as well.
cargovan is offline   Reply With Quote