Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New member checking in

Hi there, this is lee & kim grisham from Reno, NV. We have a ton of questions I am hoping folks will be interested in helping us with. We have not purchased an RV yet because we are trying to get well educated first.

So where is the best place to begin asking questions?

Thanks! Lee & Kim
leegrisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

You ready... Depends on the question ;-) As you will see there are many different forums based on type of RV, Manufacturer, general conversation, etc. So ask it where you think it is most appropriate. Never fear if you post it in the wrong place one of the moderators will politely move it to the proper forum. Either way someone will read it and provide insight, opinion, and perhaps a valid answer. An ok yeah welcome.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Good Luck on your search. When you have a specific question be sure to include as much detail as possible, ie make, model, engine size, chassis type, etc. That way we can give you specific information and/or point you in the right direction. This forum has been very helpful over the last few months.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

First of all, RVing is a great, relaxing way to spend time. I am still new to this site but the first thing to research is what kind of RV are you interested in? Class A, 5th wheel, towable? That will be the first step in dialing in the research.
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome to IRV2! So glad you found us.

It would be a virtual impossibility for you to ask a question, on any subject, for which someone here won't have an opinion, and be willing to offer it.

As stated earlier, just pick the forum you feel best fits the question you have and ask away. If the moderators feel you'd get a better response elsewhere, it will be moved. You can also take advantage of our search features. You'd be hard pressed to come up with a unique question that's never been aired before.

Good luck with your research and RV search. It's a great way to get away from the stress of life and see the best our country has to offer in the bargin.

Happy trails...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Lee and Kim, Welcome. The best place to ask questions is right here.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegrisham View Post
So where is the best place to begin asking questions?
Depends on how much you already know. Do you already know which type of RV you think you want? Lightweight tent camper trailer you can pull with some of the more-powerful cars or smaller SUVs? Smaller towable you can drag with a half-ton pickup or larger SUV? Smaller fifth-wheel trailer you need a 3-quarter ton pickup to tow it with? Race trailer with LQ (living quarters)? Horse trailer with LQ? Lightweight truck camper you can haul in the back of a heavy duty pickup with single rear wheels? Heavier truck camper that requires at least a one-ton dually to haul? 20,000-pound or heavier toy hauler fifth wheel RV trailer that requires at least a class 4 (F-450 or C-4500 or Dodge 4500) truck to tow it? Class B motor home? Class C motor home? Class A motor home. Class A diesel pusher?

After you've narrowed down your choice to the RV type you want (and can afford), then look for the appropriate forum right here in IRV2 and ask away.

Or if you don't know enough to decide which type of RV you want, then there are general discussion forums here too.

My observation over the last 50 years is that most folks tend to buy not enough RV the first time, and wind up replacing it with something bigger. My parents were "trail riders". They began with an 8-foot truck camper dragging a two-horse trailer. Then they moved up to one of the first horse trailers with LQ (heavy rascal that pulled the guts out of their F-250 farm pickup). But that was tight quarters, so they moved up to a class-C motor home dragging the horses. Still too tight, so about 1987 they wound up with a class A motor home with a gas-eatin' Chevy 454 engine and dragging the two-horse trailer. They liked that rig, except for the 5 to 7 MPG.

My first RV was a new 1968 Wheel Camper tent trailer. We drug that rig all over the USA for over 20 years, with cars including a 1971 AMC Hornet V8 Sportabout (small station wagon), and with a customized 1977 Ford Econoline van. That camper was replaced with a 21' low profile fifth wheel RV drug by a Toyota T-100 V6 pickup. But that was tight quarters too, so we wound up with a 25' fifth wheel with one big slide, drug by a '99.5 Ford diesel pickup. We enjoyed that rig for over 12 years.

Now we're too old and beat up to continue enjoying RVing, so we sold the tow vehicle and camper last fall. But like an old cowboy enjoys sitting around the campfire chewing the fat, we still enjoy talking RVing.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and initial comments to questions.

I have begun trolling the forums to see what's available, and will try that first.

A bit more on our background. We have gone to the "corner lot" sales events where you get to look at several types of RV's. Our preference will likely be a Class A - something 34-37 ft most likely with 2 or 3 slides.

In fact, we have decided to rent a class A for a long weekend next month, and that we we can get some real world experience in an RV. This should be a real eye opener. Nothing like reality .....

I'll continue to scan the forums to find answers for things like...

Gas or Diesel? I am expecting to get gas. That "seems" to be a normal decision due to cost etc. But that makes me wonder why diesel? They sell them to interested buyers.

What does it cost to replace tires on one of these class A's? I mean, they aren't car tires!! So the cost is higher.

Do dealers normally provide driving lessons for something this size? Or do they just throw you the keys. I would assume they train you, but would expect them to be invested in the process, meaning they make sure you are safe when you drive away.

Since I will be buying used, are there inspectors you can hire who can give an impartial opinion on the condition of the vehicle?

Cheers

lee
leegrisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search for the just right RV. Our daughter and son in law live in Reno. We love Reno and visit often.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote