Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

New Member, First Post

Hello Everyone,
Great Site! My wife and I are really impressed with the sense of community you get from reading the different posts. Lots to learn on here. We finally bought a 5th wheel so we are somewhat new to the RV world. We were hoping you could help us in determining what we should be looking for when selecting a campground. We are thinking we would like to set up for the season. What is the most important things to consider, what should we avoid etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Mike & Cheryl

We have a 30' Shasta 5th Wheel
mikeyjoe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers

Welcome to iRV2, we’re really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You’ll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you’ll see, they’re eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we’re glad you joined.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

Thank you Hitchhiker!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Mike and Cheryl, Welcome to the forum and good luck with your 5er.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

Thanks John! Nice rig!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

Mike, The first few times you camp, you may want to get a pull through site, unless you are very comfortable backing up. Also depends on whether or not you want all the hook ups. If you are planning for an entire season stay, then you will more than likely want everything. Electric, sewer, water, and cable. Do a couple of practice runs to different sites and you'll find a favorite. Let us know how you make out. John H...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

Thanks John,
Cheryl and I are both outdoors people but haven't spent a lot of time in campgrounds so we appreciate your advice.
Have you done much seasonal camping with your Rv or do you travel more? We are still undecided as to which we would like to do most though I think we are leaning towards a seasonal site on a campground that is a little over an hour away from our home.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #8

Most of our camping is done when we travel visiting Grand kids. Have a trip to GA planned for the end of Oct. Trick or treat with Grand Kids. Occationally we will visit a nearby campground for a weekend getaway. Our Daughter-in-laws parent had a 5er that they kept in a close by campground and were there most of the summer , but have since sold it and bought a park trailer in Fla. and spend the winter there. Usually from Oct through May. We both still work, so are limited on time for doing any of that.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Campground choices

Hi and welcome to RVing!

I haven't done seasonal, but have stayed at campgrounds where there are seasonal, and some of the sites are awesome! I would think if you took a quick recon, since the place you're interested in is just an hour away, you can see if the sites look good, if they are large enough, would your rig need to be leveled, or are the sites level, is there enough privacy for you, or enough open area? Are the seasonal sites near the amenities, or farther away, and which way would you want it to be? Is there any concern about break-in's when you are not there? Is it a gated campground, or open throughout? Can they store your rig in the winter? Can you use it in the winter at the campground also? I know some places might allow that.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #10

Hello and welcome MikeyJoe,
In our experience campgrounds each have a personality and tempo of their own. The character of a CG is from the folks who frequent it, both seasonal and visitors, so as well as the amenities offered one would do well to spend some time at a CG to get to know the folks well. Larger CG may have multiple cliques of friends while smaller CG are more intimate. We have visited some CG where the pastime seems to be constant drinking while others are centered on children and family activities and everything in between. We return to those CG where we are comfortable with the folks and steer clear of those we're not. A seasonal commitment is no small thing so I'd advise to take your time and enjoy the process of finding your comfort zone.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great Input, I appreciate it too!

Hi, I am a newbie to the site also, just joined today. That is my thought also, to spend the first 2 summers, just checking out a different campground each time I go to see where I feel comfortable. (Not interested in loud heavy drinkers) (don't have grandchildren, so don't want all the bells and whistles that draw hundreds of children) (just want quiet, relaxing, peaceful nature). I'm in Wisconsin, so if anyone has any opinions on any grounds here, I would love to hear about them. I'm trying to determine whether I rent seasonal space as well in the future, or purchase my own land (for my puppies to run free).

I have two lab puppies that will be coming with us, so walking trails, etc. are important to me.

Thanks for the tips everyone, they all make sense.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
Hi, I am a newbie to the site also, just joined today. That is my thought also, to spend the first 2 summers, just checking out a different campground each time I go to see where I feel comfortable. (Not interested in loud heavy drinkers) (don't have grandchildren, so don't want all the bells and whistles that draw hundreds of children) (just want quiet, relaxing, peaceful nature). I'm in Wisconsin, so if anyone has any opinions on any grounds here, I would love to hear about them. I'm trying to determine whether I rent seasonal space as well in the future, or purchase my own land (for my puppies to run free).

I have two lab puppies that will be coming with us, so walking trails, etc. are important to me.

Thanks for the tips everyone, they all make sense.
As you look around you will need to include the restrictions different CGs have for dogs. Many do not allow dogs over 30 lbs. Nearly all require they be on a leash and you pick up after them. If that's not what you have in mind, buying your own property may be the only way you would be happy with a seasonal lot.

If you are 55+ there are a number of rv retirement communities that suite folks with out children or grandchildren.

Dave