Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

New member from Canada, not new to RVing

Hello all, I'm a newbie here but have been RVing for 15 years, evolving from a mini pop up all the way to a 32' 5th wheel triple slide. We hail from the province of Quebec and are anxious to start the camping season in 2.5 months or so.

I own a GMC dually gasser so we're unconventional in the tow rig. We started true boondocking a few years ago and are loving it more and more. We oufitted the RV with solar and battery banks over the past few years and have it down pat for our use.

Hopefully we can contribute to discussions. I am a professional mechanic with 34 years experience. While there are some things I haven't done on the RV yet there isn't much I can't take care of.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome! You are, most definitely, an asset here, thank you for offering to share your experiences with us!!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Welcome to an awesome site with amazing members!

It's great that you wish to share your extensive mechanic experience and willing to help others.
Always nice to see others that offer that up!

I have a 96 3/4 ton Suburban with the 7.4 454 and wondering if you have any advice for getting a little more poop out of that without breaking the bank?
I know there are several ways to get a ton more out of it such as a new ECM, injection, throttle body, etc... However I also know that is a ton of bucks. LOL
It currently has a cat back dual exhaust which helps a ton.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Welcome to an awesome site with amazing members!

It's great that you wish to share your extensive mechanic experience and willing to help others.
Always nice to see others that offer that up!

I have a 96 3/4 ton Suburban with the 7.4 454 and wondering if you have any advice for getting a little more poop out of that without breaking the bank?
I know there are several ways to get a ton more out of it such as a new ECM, injection, throttle body, etc... However I also know that is a ton of bucks. LOL
It currently has a cat back dual exhaust which helps a ton.
Hi stinger. I also own a "Burb" although it's a 94 5.7. The 7.4 should be pretty stout on the low end. It's not a high revving engine so you won't be winning any races with it.

Not many inexpensive things I can think of off-hand to add power. A different cam and or rocker arm combo would help but that's a bit spendy for many, and with a truck that age I'd wanna be sure the engine is healthy enough to handle it. Not sure if it's a 4WD or RWD, if RWD and has 3.73 gearing a switch to 4.10 gears would help with hauling up hills or lower speeds at the expense of top end speed.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. We look forward to your contributions.

Continue to enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Hi stinger. I also own a "Burb" although it's a 94 5.7. The 7.4 should be pretty stout on the low end. It's not a high revving engine so you won't be winning any races with it.

Not many inexpensive things I can think of off-hand to add power. A different cam and or rocker arm combo would help but that's a bit spendy for many, and with a truck that age I'd wanna be sure the engine is healthy enough to handle it. Not sure if it's a 4WD or RWD, if RWD and has 3.73 gearing a switch to 4.10 gears would help with hauling up hills or lower speeds at the expense of top end speed.
It is the 4WD and currently has the 4:10's in it. I have a 30' travel trailer and it pulls it pretty good. However, I'm always looking to pull better.

I thought about a different cam and different rocker ratio as well. However, I figured if I was going to pull the intake to do a cam I might as well go with the updated electronic injectors and change manifold and throttle body.

Heck, it pulls pretty fair so I probably should leave well enough alone. LOL. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bonjour et bienvenue chez nous! Hello and welcome aboard!

I lurked and browsed for years while renting and shopping to buy. Excellent resources and people available on this site.

You will find enthusiasts for every variant of the RV lifestyle and every price point.

You might enjoy this "Meanwhile in Canada" tidbit:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6965.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	236851  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

New member from BC Canada

Hello everyone! I just joined iRv2 as I have enjoyed viewing the discussions and knowledge shared on so many topics, that I decided it was time to jump in.
My wife and I have made the decision to liquidate everything and go FT. We are still in the research stage and I have learned so much in the past year, which has been invaluable and will help us make informed decisions.
The one thing that has impressed us is the RV community and the welcoming nature of RVers, very refreshing!
We have narrowed our search down to Newmar Vantana 4369 with the two recliners in the lounge. There happens to be a 2018 on the lot at our local Newmar dealership where we did do a walk thru. The ample storage and master bath certainly impressed us.
We are about 6 mos to a year away before pulling the trigger on buying and I fully appreciate that this unit may not be available when we are ready so, as back up, I have been researching alternatives such as older Dutch Star or Entegra Aspire units, keeping in mind the advice of many that say buy used.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Hobo Huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo Huddy View Post
Hello everyone! I just joined iRv2 as I have enjoyed viewing the discussions and knowledge shared on so many topics, that I decided it was time to jump in.
My wife and I have made the decision to liquidate everything and go FT. We are still in the research stage and I have learned so much in the past year, which has been invaluable and will help us make informed decisions.
The one thing that has impressed us is the RV community and the welcoming nature of RVers, very refreshing!
We have narrowed our search down to Newmar Vantana 4369 with the two recliners in the lounge. There happens to be a 2018 on the lot at our local Newmar dealership where we did do a walk thru. The ample storage and master bath certainly impressed us.
We are about 6 mos to a year away before pulling the trigger on buying and I fully appreciate that this unit may not be available when we are ready so, as back up, I have been researching alternatives such as older Dutch Star or Entegra Aspire units, keeping in mind the advice of many that say buy used.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Looks like the welcoming committee has fallen asleep on this one.
Welcome! Hope you have found your dream coach by now.
We welcome Canadians at Wagons West in Tucson. Check us out at www.wagonswestrvpark.net
We visited for several years before we became members. Option is yours.
We love visiting Canada as well. BC is beautiful!
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, new member, rving