Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #1

New member from Indiana, soon to be Texas coast.

Hello everyone, I thought that the polite thing to do would be to quickly introduce myself in here, before I started asking a bunch of newbie questions in other subforums & such.

Anyway my name is Richard & I am from Indiana, as the title says I'm planning on heading down to the Texas coast here in a couple of months & "full-timing" in an RV of some sort.

My only experience with RV type vehicle is an old pickup truck slide-in camper that I used to use as a base-camp at a little lake lot that I owned, I really didn't haul it around a lot nor did I stay in it for extended periods of time much.

However for several years now I have been dreaming of buying a larger RV and really go scratch my exploring/adventuring itch, well now the time is just about here to start shopping around for an RV so I thought I'd poke around the iRV2 forums and pick up some tips, learn some tricks & maybe make a few new friends.
RichardR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the site. We joined August last year and after camping for over 14 years have learned so much in the past year on this site. You can go crazy trying to pick an RV with so many to pick from. We found in the 4 class A coaches we have owned is floor plan for us. Slides make a big differance also. Happy shopping and many miles of fun.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us. You found the right spot for any tips and advice you may need. Friends? Heck you'll find many here that are willing to help you along and possibly meet down the road. Enjoy your experience here and on the road. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Richard! Glad you found us! Good luck on finding the right rig for you. You better stay out of Texas, that place is on fire!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome Mike, Janet, Steve, Sally, Joe & Annette!

Anyway yes shopping for an RV is a little more daunting than I originally thought that it would be, there are so many different types, options, floor-plans, etc that I've really have had my nose to the grind-stone trying to research & balance all of the things that I think I'll want/need.

I hope to have everything figured out, get the RV bought, plated & packed and on the road headed down to the gulf coast before the first snow falls here, at least that's the plan anyway LOL.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #6

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast. Other years the campgrounds fill up just before Xmas. This year reservations are said to be down (another RV site; one source). Recommend Rockport for its beauty (the drought has taken a toll, though). Corpus Christi is less than an hour away, and both San Antonio and Austin are close enough for day trips or overnights.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Welcome to iRV2!! PM sent!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #8

Well hopefully we'll run into each other sometime then Rednax! I'll probably reserve a spot as soon as I decide which RV to get, I don't want to drop a deposit on a spot & then be delayed for some odd reason & lose my deposit & my spot! (if that's how it works, still not completely clear on that yet).

Hey Nuge thanks man! Oh I am sure that I'll definitely have more questions the deeper I get into this whole RV'ing thing, I am taking my time & trying real hard not rush into buying one until I know more about what it is I am looking for and what's what, so I appreciate any & all help in figuring this stuff out LOL!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Come on down. If you can't bring some water, at least bring lots of money. Do check out the Texas Boomers and see what they are up to in your area.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ya'll com' on down now, ya' hear!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #11

I just can't imagine why you would want to leave Indiana before winter gets here. don't you enjoy cold weather, trees with no leaves, howling winds, lots of snow not to mention all those auto accidents on slippery roads etc.??? I'll bet the hardware stores near you are just waiting for your purchases of snow shovel, salt & sand, de-icers and so on.
I can say all of this cause I'm from Indiana also. "YUK", wasn't ready to think about winter yet.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search for your perfect RV.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #13

LOL TwoSlides, yup that's not something I am going to miss about Indiana at all! TXiceman, yea I'll definitely be watching all of the going's on's in that sub-forum, I will definitely try to attend some of the rally's & get together's and stuff.

Not sure how much water I can bring down with me but I'll try to do a little rain dance or two once I get settled in down there.

Thanks for the welcome's Wayne, DRosedale TwoSlides & TXiceman, all of you folks sure do make a fellow seem right at home!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't blame you. I worked in northern Indiana when my company asked If I would go to Alaska. Told them you bet, has to warmer than here. Welcome to the forum
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas