Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
New Member from NC

We had never camped much less owned a RV but decided if we were going to fulfill our dream now was the time to take the "plunge"! (especially since we are not getting any younger) We just purchased a 2012 Chateau Motorhome and are on our 2nd trip this weekend ---think we are really going to enjoy it. Being totally new to the "camping scene" we know that we have lots to learn and welcome any advice that would be beneficial to us in our new adventure.

Skip & Pat
High Point, NC
SkiPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and . Congrats on the new rig.

Don't be shy about posting questions and participating in discussions. This is a great place to learn how to best enjoy your new baby.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
New to the RV world or been doing it for years---seems like there is always much more to learn. This is the place to learn. At one time I knew it all but then I grew up and found that life is a never ending learning expearence.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and glad you joined the rv'ing experience. I'm sure you'll have a great time, I know we do. You'll meet a lot of great people on this site and if you have any problems or concerns just post the questions here. I'm sure someone within a short time will help you out. Again enjoy your time on the road, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome Skip & Pat! Glad you decided to take the plunge!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome from eastern once. Feel free to jump in anywhere you like on this forum. We are glad you are here
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Welcome Skip and Pat ! Come join us at the National IRV2 rally in Virginia this Sept. I am sure you will have a great time.
Dianne and Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Skip & Pat.
I'm rather new here also and I must apologize for tagging a question I had to your post, instead of finding the proper place to do that. Rick O has been kind enough to move my post for me.
Sorry about my bad manners.
I hope you find iRV2 as interesting & informative as I have so far,
Ron
Old 08-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like the others have said, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Glad to see others from a neighbor state.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to warrstang331
Welcome and happy RVing
warrstang331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Welcome to the group... I'm sure you will have MANY wonderful experiences with your new home away from home.

I was going to suggest the following: One of the most wonderful experiences we ever had was going to a Life On Wheels (LOW) conference in Moscow, ID. We had been RVing in various ways since 1973.. but in the yr 2000, we purchased our first new 5er and heard about LOW. We heard positive things about it and decided to sign up. It was more than we expected. We learned about the different types of RV's, how to take care of some of the major systems that seem common to all of them, in one way or another. How to park, tricks that would have taken me/us a long time to learn. We also learned about "full timing" and how to do that successfully.

Unfortunately, with the death of "Mr RV", Gaylord Maxwell.. a wonderful guy with a wonderful wife, that all ended.

Next best thing might be to join a group.. Good Sam, Escapees or maybe a group that is tied to your RV type. One of the great things about something like that is making new friends with similar interests. But, as part of that.. rubbing shoulders with people who have been at if for awhile is invaluable.

As with this forum, you will find folks with a dozen solutions to your problems or questions. Some work, some don't. Some fit your RV, some don't. Some speak from real experiences, some don't. But, the thing is.. every meeting sheds new ideas. Simple things such as efficiency in how to hook up or set-up once at the campground.. or even backing the rig into a spot. Leveling solutions, etc are all things we learn.. and sometime those learning experiences are slightly different each time we pull into a new spot. For instance, do you have enough blocks to level your RV without putting undo strain on your jacks? Do you have enough hose or proper extension cords for facilities that are not optimally placed for your RV? The list goes on.

True, you can learn all these things by yourself.. but, it's not only fun, but more efficient when you can learn thru others learning curve.. It shortens your curve.

Good Sam clubs, which we have never attended comes to mind as there are local chapters that go on frequent trips together. We belonged to Escapees for years and loved that group. Never went on the longer trips that met in different parts of the country.. just the local ones. Some of those folks we still see. We've learned a ton from them.. just "neighboring".

Best to ya in your adventures.....
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

230 hp Cummins 6 spd Allison trans
WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote