Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #1

New Member from San Diego

My husband and I are looking for a 28-29 foot motorhome for trips around the country. We have no RV experience. Any tips you might have on a Class A vs Class C, preferable makes/models, or if you have some good pros and cons for us; all would be appreciated. We would love to hear from your experience. Thanks.
fiddle girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello and welcome. We have had both a C and currently an A. We love the view thru the windshield, driving and parked. Check different floor plans. It seems to me that under 30' is more cramped then moving up those couple feet to a 30-32', and they are just as easy to navigate. If buying used everyone will tell you to check the service records and have it inspected by a qualified technician. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

You will find numerous discussions on the Class A versus Class C choice. There will also be numerous discussions of the Class A gas versus diesel. Do a few searches in this and other RV forums.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #4

Welcome to Irv. I would suggest a. Setting up a desired budget. Now I wouldn't set a small price point, I would set up a very large range, say if I had a budget I,d say as an example OK I have 50,000 and would be comfortable with payments up to 120,000. So then I'd set a budget of 35 to 120k.

Look at used on rvt.com rvtrader,con, ppl, and a few big dealers, as well as websites of local. Start at 40 look at 60. Set this as your low end. Look up winnabego reyo for something different.

Now go look at as many varied new motorhomes, say winnebago trend, Thor Vegas, tiffin red 33, dynamax, four winds super c, coachmen freelander, triple regency, leisure travel van libero, road trek class b, Forest river fr3, Fleetwood storm, bounder.

This will let you look at a variety of floor plans and unit types. I am not enforcing one over the other but offering a very diverse look of homes. This will let you know which ones pull your heartstring.

Then look at them in person, and pretend to live in them, read about what people say about the ones you like, find out what other similar ones are to the ones you like. Look at them all, expect this process to take months. Then you will know what is best for you to start with.

Keep a list of must haves, maybes and avoid. Don't go in with a closed mind, I know after months what I now found that suits me isn't the same as what I thought when I started. Let the motorhome fit you, not the other way
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to irv2
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Enforcing = recommending

Silly droid
Old 11-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us!

That's a tough question to answer. Too many unstated questions, such as budget, usage, etc. I would suggest posting specific questions over in the other areas of the forum (Class A, Class C, etc) for better answers. Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #10

You can have fun with a class C or class A. We traded a 20' or maybe a little longer class C for a 27' class A. Then a little latter traded the 27' for a 34' class A. If I could afford it, I would trade up for larger one. I would like to have a 38' +- diesel pusher. The length has never been a problem to drive or maneuver.

A short motor home is a great way to start. you can learn a lot about living space, driving, towing and maneuvering. No one is to say you can't trade for another when you are ready. Or, you might be perfectly satisfied with your first purchase.

Good luck, have fun and keep us updated with your post.

Tags