Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

New Member from SoCal!

Hey all!

I'm going to take a short jaunt over summer for about 2 to 3 months. I have some camping experience, but my wife's experience is very limited. I'd like to have some kind of camping vehicle, but I'd like the community's input around which type of vehicle. Class A? Class C? Truck-and-Trailer? I'm a student, money's a somewhat important issue, but not the most important. I want comfort but I really want to be able to go up in the mountains. I'd like to be able to make a sandwich in the kitchen while my wife drives, but...anyway, I'd like everybody's input on what general category of camping equipment. Pop up? Class A/C? Trailer/Tractor? Overhang on a pickup?
ndroftheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

You do not want to be moving about in any kind of camper while it is traveling down the road. This is just not smart.

With a class A or a class C, you either need to tow a vehicle or move your camper every time you need to drive some where.

If you are trying to go really cheap, you should see if there is a pop-up your current vehicle will pull and try to find one used.

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will get more input here before long!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you buy a Class "A" or "C" then transportation at the destination is always a consideration. Getting a drink or lunch is easier in a "A" or "C" even if you restrict movement, there are always rest areas and places to pull over for these activities, recommended to pull over.
Figure most folks don't keep there first camper for a lot of years. It's just part of the learning curve. They either quit owning one altogether or move into a unit that suits there needs in about two years. The equipment to tow will run about $2000.00 and if your an occasional camper figure how many times your really going to need transportation at the destination, then figure the cost of renting a car for those occasions. When you move to your second RV then spend the money for towing if it's justified, that way you'll only buy it once and still have a car when you need it. You'll also have two years experience driving a RV and the transition to towing will be simple.
The real reason to buy any RV is to pick one you all are comfortable in and don't feel like it's a chore to get on the road. If it sits in the drive way because it’s just too much work to go camping then it’s a real shame. Buy one that fits your life style as well as your wants.

Dick
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I really do like the idea of being able to disconnect and drive around, and the concept of a pop-up has occurred to me. Some questions for the experienced:

1. I own a '96 Honda Accord...is there any chance in hell I could tow a pop-up with that? How much might it cost to put a hitch on this thing? What kind of risks are involved with this setup?
2. With a pop-up, is there any way to bring along some kind of a bathroom item? Like a mini-port-a-potty that fits in there? My wife, like I said, isn't quite ready to dig a hole in the middle of the night in unfamiliar territory.
3. If I buy a small class a/c, what's the general overhead I'd be looking at with towing my Honda? What's the gas mileage hit? Is it very expensive to buy a car-towing device? How much would it cost to modify the car so I can hook up brake lights and turn signals?

Jeez I am just full of questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
ndroftheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The best data I can find on your Honda is it can tow about 1000 lbs. That’s a pretty small Pop UP. Check the Owners Manual you should get the limit in there. I wouldn't hold much hope you would be happy with what you can tow.

I bought a Master Tow dolly to tow my 2006 Escape and it was $1800. I didn't have to make any changes to the car. If you go the Tow bar rout you'll need a base plate for the car, some kind of brake system, a tow bar, and a lighting system of some kind. When I priced it all out for my Escape it came to about $2000. There is some work to add the base plate to the car but a lot of folks do it themselves so you can avoid the cost of a grease monkey. Remember the base plate is specific to the car and when you trade it in you will no doubt need to get another. Check your Honda to see if it can be towed four down; that is the preferred method by most people at least on this board. Sometimes a drive shaft disconnect is needed, and sometimes a transmission pump is needed. If these things aren't in your owners manual I'm sure you can find data online or from a Honda dealer or mechanic.

If you go the Class "A" or "C" rout you will have to figure in additional insurance and licenses fees when you compare costs. Your car is well within the 5000 lbs weight limit for Class 3 towing equipment.

Another thought is to buy a used truck and get a Pop Up or Travel Trailer. There are some pretty good bargains on used units right now and you won't be giving up much with a used one, just a warrantee.

Keep us posted. It will be interesting to see which way you go.
Dick