Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #1

New member here. Just got my first drivable RV

Just got a 1979 Holiday Rambler 36' class A. I am new to RV'ing but not new to driving large vehicles. I have been driving 18 wheelers for 11 years now. She is in good overall condition and runs great. Drives good. Under 40K miles on her so was hardley ever used. Dodge drivetrain, tag axle, dual roof heat/air units, 7K Kohler genset, 3 way fridge, leveling jacks, ice maker, spotlight with remote controls, Themasan system, air horns, power steps, no leaks, and has the rooftop cargo box on the rear roof. I am looking for all the info I can get on this thing. It came with all the manuals for all the appliances as well as the owners and chassis manuals. 6" thick binder for it all. Even has wiring diagrams in there.
I build and fly radio control planes and helicopters as well as cars as a hobbie. Been doing it for over 20 years. I am a very good mechanic, was an electrician in the Navy, have basic bodywork skills, but can fix about anything. I am going to be living in this RV full time starting next month so will be working on getting everything hooked up and tested this week so I can make a good list of what needs fixed or needs maint. I am open to any pointers/suggestions you have as I have never done this before. I am sure at some point this will be me
Rcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're really glad you joined us! Congrats on the new rig!
Good luck, happy trails, and may God bless & keep you safe!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats! On your new rig. I am sure you will find a great deal of information at IRV2. BTW:
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With a vintage motorhome, you will get to practice your mechanical and electrical skills. Welcome aboard and lets see some photos....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Howdy and welcome to the forums! Congrats on the MH sounds like you got a great deal there!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum! Be sure to check out the Vintage Owner's section of the forum. Have fun.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

That HR must of been a very top of the line back in 79. It has many features my 13 is lacking. We need pics or it didn't happen!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #9

Welcome.

How bout some pics of the RV ? !!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

X2 on the photos
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #11

Congrats

Congrats on the "new RV"
Your mechanical skills will be tested with the dodge part of your rig!!!
Dad owned MoPars all his life and I was his "mechanic" I pulled his transmissions 4 times over the life of both pickups. Granted these were older mid 70's trucks. I would've thought Dodge fixed the tranny problems by now,but they havent. Be ready to do a timing chain, water pump,softplugs, sort of thing soon.

Hope it doesnt still have a Holley on it?
I worked at a Dodge/Winnabago/Datsun dealership in the mid 70's -80's
The Winnie guy had a whole pile of Holley carbs he took off and put on Carter's. This was back when most of then had 440's in them, then some came with the Chevy chassis with the 454.
Good Luck, jdadoug
jdadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #12

I am in Wyoming at the moment but will be home in a couple days. Will try to get some pics up then. Paid $1100 for the coach and I think I almost could say I stole it the deal was that good. As far as Mopar wrenching goes I am an old hand. Have had two 68 Plymouth's one a Fury III and the other a VIP. I have rebuilt the engines both small and big block as well as the transmissions in both cars. Not because the transmissions needed it but because they were out during the engine rebuilds. I am sure I won't have many problems as I am familiar with the proper care and feeding of a Mopar. I do always carry an emergency soft rubber freeze plug just in case lol.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #13

Welcome! I too am a newbie to rving and this forum. In fact I have not yet taken possession of my "new" 2002 Damon Intruder! But only a couple of more weeks and i will be living the dream! I found this site and have been reading voraciously. Everyone has been so helpful and I have learned much much more than I ever thought possible! With your expertise I am sure you will be contributing much needed information as well! It is comforting to know I only need to open this forum to assuage my concerns! Happy trails!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

I have no problem with the newer Holley cars but the ones from the vintage of my RV I don't much care for. It will get a carb, intake, headers, and a full tune. Fuel pump, hoses, belts,ignition, and anything else not in good shape. New tires will be first on the list though. These are cracking in the sidewalls. So no road trips yet.