Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Smile New Member needing repair advice on a Hydraulic Jack

I'm super excited to have just bought my first motorhome and can't wait to get out there with the family! Also, I do need some repair advice on a hydraulic jack, so if you're willing to give me some, read below.

About a year ago, I bought my first RV, a 2006 Keystone Zeppelin Z191, which is 22-1/2' Ultra Lightweight Travel Trailer. We decided to see if RV'ing is for us. It was a big improvement from tent camping, so I was hooked. But the trailer only sleeps 4, and we're about to have our 3rd child (any day now)... so we needed a bigger RV. Also, my wife wanted to be able to travel while the kids could be more comfortable in the back of a motorhome.

So, yesterday, I bought a 1994 27' Fleetwood Tioga (Class C) with 4 bunk beds in the back, and sleeps 8 comfortably (perfect for the 5 of us). I'm so excited to get started! It needed a new roof, so as soon as I bought it, I drove it straight to the RV repair place and got them started on the new roof. As soon as they're done (by next Friday), then I will be getting new tires and will be using it (with the impending newborn) for the first time on Christmas Eve (Eddie Griswald style outside of my wife's Aunt's house for our annual family gathering).

So, I could use advice on two things:

1. Selling my 2006 Keystone travel trailer. Would it be best to sell on Ebay, or Craigslist, or RV Trader? And I'm not sure how to set a price.

2. The seller of my new 1994 Fleetwood tried to fix a leaking hydraulic jack for me by replacing a bolt/o-ring where the leak was coming out of. But when he tried taking the old bolt out, it broke off in the cylinder! I took possession of the RV yesterday, so now it's my problem. I'm currently getting a new roof put on so I should use this time to fix the jack too. Should I have the jack sent into the manufacturer (HWH) to get fixed, or should should I just have an RV repair man pull the bolt out with some vice grips (which is possible) and put the new one in? Hereís the link to the assembly drawing for the lift, itís item three on the right hand view ( P/N RAP7072 Hex screw kit ). http://www.hwhcorp.com/mr242300.pdf

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

As for the Jack I don't have them on mine so I would say have it done unless you have the mechanical skills to do. I have bought and sold many items on craigslist so personnally I would go that route. Very fast, if the price is right, and I sold my last TT in about a week for full asking price. I'm not much on ebay or the others because some places charge fees. Just make it look fantastic and price it well and you will sell it. If you have a WDH throw that in as well. I did on mine and it closed the deal.

Good Luck
Arnold

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
As for the Jack I don't have them on mine so I would say have it done unless you have the mechanical skills to do. I have bought and sold many items on craigslist so personnally I would go that route. Very fast, if the price is right, and I sold my last TT in about a week for full asking price. I'm not much on ebay or the others because some places charge fees. Just make it look fantastic and price it well and you will sell it. If you have a WDH throw that in as well. I did on mine and it closed the deal.

Good Luck
Arnold
Thanks. Yes, I do have a WDH and will be throwing it in.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka3739 View Post

2. The seller of my new 1994 Fleetwood tried to fix a leaking hydraulic jack for me by replacing a bolt/o-ring where the leak was coming out of. But when he tried taking the old bolt out, it broke off in the cylinder! I took possession of the RV yesterday, so now it's my problem. I'm currently getting a new roof put on so I should use this time to fix the jack too. Should I have the jack sent into the manufacturer (HWH) to get fixed, or should should I just have an RV repair man pull the bolt out with some vice grips (which is possible) and put the new one in?
That's a question that's best answered by someone who is capable of doing the repair and can get a hands on feel for the repair, then it comes down to labor costs for trying to replace versus cost of cylinder removal, shipping, and replacement costs. I don't think the factory would remove the broken portion and replace the bolt for you.

Enjoy your new lifestyle.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! Sure glad you joined us! I can't help on the repair advice but I bet you'll find the answers here. Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka3739 View Post

Should I have the jack sent into the manufacturer (HWH) to get fixed, or should should I just have an RV repair man pull the bolt out with some vice grips (which is possible) and put the new one in? Hereís the link to the assembly drawing for the lift, itís item three on the right hand view ( P/N RAP7072 Hex screw kit ). http://www.hwhcorp.com/mr242300.pdf

Thanks!!!
I question if you will be able to remove the bolt easilly. If it broke when a removal attempt was made, it is likely seized and may require that the jack be removed and taken to a machine shop for proper removal.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

The RV place that is putting a new roof on for me said they were able to get the screw out and replace it with the new part. However, they said it is still leaking. How much would a new jack cost? Or do you think I should have it sent in to HWH to get fixed?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #8

broken bolt

OK I'll bite.... Seems you have a fair amount of knowledge so there must be more to this story...

If you can vice-grip it out or EZ-out it why not give it a go yourself? Cost = $0 to try. If it doesn't work out then it just about as easy to send it off to HWH and get a full rebuild on it. Seems you got the best of all possibilities???

HWH might even have a pre-paid exchange program. Either way, the folks at HWH will shoot you the (already identified) part or do the rebuild pronto...

Am I missing something here???

Tags
motorhome, repair, travel