Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Good points made of special needs of a full time rig. IMO two of the most frequently overlooked issues are the need to have wardrobes for all seasons... and the fact that you'll need to carry all of your tools you think you might want to have available. That's not a biggie for some guys but it sure was for me. Most everything else you probably either don't need or can replenish regularly at WalMart or Costco.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just saw your image, looks like you have the 23 foot model. The dump valves are all the way at the back which means they would bottom out real easily on a steep driveway. There might be a way to route the pipes towards the front of the MH so they are more protected. Depends on how much damage was done and how much time you are willing to invest in the repair. As a previous poster said, show us some pictures and we can help you better.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking....if you have a receiver/trailer hitch. Maybe an insert with a heavy duty swivel castor mounted to it that hits ground before your dump valves do. Might take some measuring to get it right. Saw another fellow use this fix.

welcome
j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry about not getting these posted yesterday but our Florida sunshine was in the liquid form and not conducive for being out taking pictures.
Here's a few shots of the street, curb and my drive. Just for the record I've tried pulling in and backing in. Pulling in is by far the worst and that's when I damaged the blackwater valve. I've drained my freshwater tank leaving only a few gallons and added some weight to the basement which in on the opposite side. This has helped somewhat but I'm still hitting bottom.
Street facing south

Street facing north

Looking into driveway

Looking to street

Damage to blackwater valve. It's hard to see in this picture but the valve and housing is cracked and separated from the the greywater valve. It appears that there is no damage to the greywater valve. I have the replacement blackwater valve assembly and it looks like it's an easy fix but I'm not going to replace it until its needed.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymalene View Post
I'm glad to see other singles are out there and planning a simple life of travel. I'm just in the planning stages, but the goal is to hit the road by April 2013. A dream without a plan is just a dream, and I have a well laid out plan!
Raymalene,
I like and appreciate your ideas. You are so right about a plan and a dream. You must always have a plan, dream and a goal, without them life seams a bit meaningless. When things get a bit tough I think about my rig and my future plans and it always makes things easier to deal with.
Good luck with your dream, may it happen soon and better then you hope for. Keep us posted!!!! Perhaps our paths may cross some day.

Rob
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Good points made of special needs of a full time rig. IMO two of the most frequently overlooked issues are the need to have wardrobes for all seasons... and the fact that you'll need to carry all of your tools you think you might want to have available. That's not a biggie for some guys but it sure was for me. Most everything else you probably either don't need or can replenish regularly at WalMart or Costco.

Rick
Rick, you are so right about wardrobes for all seasons. Lucky for me right now I live and will remain in Florida at least until I retire. Shorts and tee-shirts for summer wear and a few pair of jeans and sweatpants for the winter. All things that take up very little space. Where I work I'm allowed to wear shorts, jeans and tee-shirts which is nice and very easy on the budget. In time when I start my ventures around the country I will have to update the wardrobe.
Thanks for your comments and you do bring up good points for others whom are considering F/T'ing.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Just saw your image, looks like you have the 23 foot model. The dump valves are all the way at the back which means they would bottom out real easily on a steep driveway. There might be a way to route the pipes towards the front of the MH so they are more protected. Depends on how much damage was done and how much time you are willing to invest in the repair. As a previous poster said, show us some pictures and we can help you better.
My rig is 25 feet and you are so right about them being located all the way in the back. Good point about rerouting them, I didn't even think about that. Duh!!!! That could be expensive, hopefully I can figure out another way which may cost less and be equally effective.

Thanks for your idea. I'll keep that one in mind.
Rob
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
Welcome and enjoy your new MH
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I'm thinking....if you have a receiver/trailer hitch. Maybe an insert with a heavy duty swivel castor mounted to it that hits ground before your dump valves do. Might take some measuring to get it right. Saw another fellow use this fix.

welcome
j
This is a great idea and yes I do have the hitch. I'll have to do some further research on your idea. That could very well be the answer to my problem. Thanks for bringing that idea to my attention.

Rob
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I would try a 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 a little longer than your wheel width right at the "V" on the approach-if you get what I mean. Neighbor in Omaha had a similar problem with his Corvette and drive like yours. 2 x 8 solved the problem. Your other option (much more expensive) is to get rid of the "drive over" curb and replace with a regular driveway cut.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
We previously owned the same coach but ours was the HR Augusta 25 -

DH purchased two large ( 6 inch ?) utility cart wheels at Harbor Freight and bolted the wheels to the skid. The piping design is too low and he feels it cannot be re-routed. The wheels worked for us.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I'd like to thank everyone that offered their help and suggestions with my bottoming out problem. I found these skid wheels at campingworld.com and thought perhaps they would do the trick. Before I purchase them I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
Ultra Skid Wheels - 6" - Ultra-fab Products 48-979013 - Skid Wheels - Camping World

Once again thanks for taking the time to help this newbie.

Rob
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the site! Nice looking rig; I am sure you will find the help you need here, I know we have.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
KAS

Cool

Welcome, what you are doing sounds like a lot of fun. I'm new to the RV traveling and learning about all the ways people do it, like full timing. Sounds amazing but I like to have a home base even if it is only a barn and hook-ups for the RV.

You are so right about goals and plans. When hubby retires we are relocating home base to where he grew up and use the RV to visit relatives and travel some with our late in life family editions.

« New member | Hello »