Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

New Member, New(used) Owner, Young Family

Hello all! We are brand new to the RV life and look forward to many adventures and challenges. Given our age; I'd say we probably deviate from the norm of RV ownership by just a bit. To introduce the Clan, we are Sam(myself)33, Jen(wife)29, Lily 3, and Maggie 3mos.

I bought the Coach for a number of reasons with the primary motivation being education for our little ones. Text and pictures go some distance toward that cause but there's nothing like seeing the Grand Canyon or following the trail of Lewis and Clark! We will certainly use it for many other purposes....errr, namely my addiction to endurance sportscar racing.

It is a 1994 American Eagle DP with the ubiquitous Cummins 8.3 300HP engine and an Allison 3060 transmission. I've got service records back to day one including every tank of diesel ever dispensed repleat with per tank mileage. It is so complete it's almost like we were traveling with the previous owners. Each log entry is detailed down to the make, model, and weight the toad; whether or not the generator was used underway and a cursory calculation of the effect each had on efficiancy. The cumulative mileage over 93,000 miles has been 10.2. Not bad.

One thing that does not work as designed is the backup camera. Horrible distortion was traced to a haphazard splice in the shielded video cable just downstream of the camera. I've never had good results splicing shielded cable so I'm going to install a wireless setup off a peacefully resting IH combine. Should do the trick.

The only other issue is the more than common fault concerning the low coolant sensor. The circuit reads open even when the sensor is jumped. It has to be a broken wire...probably in and amongst a severe 180 degree bend in the wire which is ziptied to the chassis(whosoever did this needs to be smacked gently at least twice). Will take up this issue on Saturday....not the corporal punishment, just tracing the wires

Other than the above and a small amount of oxidation on the exterior and being in need of a good cleaning; the old girl is in remarkable shape for her age. I will post pictures in the New(old) Rig Showoff soon.

Glad to be here and have the opportunity to glean as much as possible from the colletive wisdom of the group. I will contribute when I can but wait a while before you heed my advice....I got the rig stuck the very first time out Did you know that nice turf can completely obscure at least six inches of slick,red clay.

Best Regards,

Sam
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard

You'll have to keep us up to date on your adventures in your new rig. The kids will love travleing in the RV, almost as much as you will, and it sounds like you come to it well prepared to deal with any 'bumps' in the road.

As you've already noted, there's a wealth of knowledge available here. Some of its even useful. Don't be shy about posting questions, or descriptions of your latest project or road trip. That's what keeps this forum interesting.

Looking forward to those promised photos.

Happy trails.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. Just jump in where ever you feel comfortable and enjoy the groups.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Welcome...and no you are not the youngest...by other swears I act like I'm 12...Well she might be right...
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Welcome... But me and my family might have you beat on the age part. Travis 23 (me) Shelbie 23 (Wife) Kayden 2 (Daughter). I am a NHRA/IHRA racecar driver and we use our 35' class A motorhome to travel to all the different races around the United States and if you and your family make half of the great memories that we have made then i promise that you are going to LOVE owning a RV.

Good luck and HAPPY RVing
Salter4175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter4175
Welcome... But me and my family might have you beat on the age part. Travis 23 (me) Shelbie 23 (Wife) Kayden 2 (Daughter). I am a NHRA/IHRA racecar driver and we use our 35' class A motorhome to travel to all the different races around the United States and if you and your family make half of the great memories that we have made then i promise that you are going to LOVE owning a RV.

Good luck and HAPPY RVing
Will you be coming to AZ in February?
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

Many thanks for the warm welcome. Travis, You guys have us beat .....using actual ages anyway. My chosen age would be 18. I'd go back and do it again in a minute! Dixieray53, if I acted as if I were 12; my wife would be happy beyond words. I work hard when I'm at work and play like a rabid child everywhere else.

Sam
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Sam & Jen,
That Eagle is a nice rig. Enjoy it and your travels to the fullest.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraco View Post
Will you be coming to AZ in February?
No i have some local (Texas) racing that is going on in Feb.
Salter4175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter4175
No i have some local (Texas) racing that is going on in Feb.
Aww we are going to the drags in Feb!! Soo awesome!!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote