Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

New Member Preparing for my 10yrs till Retirement

Hello all. I have been reading IRV2 forums for that last 3-6 months absorbing all your valuable insight. I plan on retiring in about 10 yrs and thought I would start early. I already test drove a class A down on my florida trip a few months ago and loved it.

I know I have plenty of time for detail questions when the time approaches. But, I am dealing with one current obstacle.

The other night at the family holiday dinner table i spilled the beans on wanting to RV when I retire. And just as i expected the table shifted with all the guys on my side and the ladies on the other. We had a blast with the friendly arguments, unfortunately the ladies won. They don't see it the way I dream of it. They had good points cause I am so new to this idea that I did not have all the answers.

Well, my obstacles is I don't want to travel in an RV with the guys at the table - I want to travel with my wife. How can I have her see and be in my dreams? Any insight via links or direct comments will be appreciated. Thanks all for such an informative site.

Larry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 RV research.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	52668  
Barca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You don't mention if your dream includes going full time or not. IMHO, the obstacles to just buying an RV for occasional trips are much smaller than those to taking the plunge, selling the stick house and turning into gypsies.

From my experience, it is mandatory that BOTH parties be on the same page before considering full time... but you can just start out by renting a Class C for a weekend trip with her now and then to get her feet wet.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Larry! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Just rent a Class A and take her on a trip. She'll be hooked for sure!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with the outcome.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Community Moderator

I think you should rent a NICE class A RV .....NOT a C or a "so-so" A..

Women will appreciate the fine finishes, and the luxury, and convenience .....NOT the
"roughing it" mentality. You must make her first impression an AMAZING ONE!

Be aware that it's not easy to find a nice class A "preferably a diesel pusher" for rent.
It is also very costly. Be prepared to spend $4500.00 for a week NOT including fuel
and food.

But you never get a second chance to make a good first impression ! ! ! !

Here is one place to look

http://gossrv.com

In my example, I picked the Country Coach Intrique 40ft from their website.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Sadly, since by your comments you have never traveled or RV'd ever before? If I am wrong, so be it. Chances she will like it are slim to none at this point in her life. Things like grand kids and a comfortable nest (read that house) are just going to be in the cards for her. My wife and I have owned one form of RV or another for most of our married life and while we are currently living full time her desire is to have a nest, er house and sooner the better. Mine is to full time. And therein lies the dilemma for us, and the dilemma for you as well. We all have lots of dreams, life does not always allow us to live those dreams.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think you should rent a NICE class A RV .....NOT a C or a "so-so" A.. Women will appreciate the fine finishes, and the luxury, and convenience .....NOT the "roughing it" mentality. You must make her first impression an AMAZING ONE! Be aware that it's not easy to find a nice class A "preferably a diesel pusher" for rent. It is also very costly. Be prepared to spend $4500.00 for a week NOT including fuel and food. But you never get a second chance to make a good first impression ! ! ! ! Here is one place to look http://gossrv.com In my example, I picked the Country Coach Intrique 40ft from their website.
I like this thought. Wonder if people rent their RV that is set at a park just to stay at? Tks for the feedback all.
Barca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Rent what you will be able to afford if you purchase. If the wife is happy, everyone will be happy. If she doesn't enjoy the rental experience your doomed. Sorry

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Larry, first of all welcome to the group. it's good that you're starting early because this lifestyle takes a lot of thought and prep work to make it happen. One of the things, besides grandkids (if they currently live near you), is all the "stuff" you have accumulated during your life and what happens to that. We still maintain a small climate controlled storage space for those things that DW simply will not part with. It costs us a monthly fee, but well worth it for our piece of mind. We have full-timed 6 years now, and are still going strong, but your DW has to be fully involved with all aspects of the program. You have time now to help her be more aware of the fun she could have while traveling. Urge her to scan the forums, and look for things that interest her that she could do while on the road. Take a look at the website (escapees.com) and see what BOF (birds of a feather) groups she might be interested in. They have birding, quilting, crafts, and many groups that get together from time to time to enjoy similar interests. Become active on the forums, ask questions, share information, and with that start forming a bond with all of us full time gypsies. This lifestyle is an adventure, from the question "what's that noise??" To where are we now??, and boy what do you want to explore in this area?? It's all good. Anyway we hope to see you on the road someday. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Being able to take our 2 dogs with us on vacation was the selling point for my wife
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard and.......Good Luck..

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca8 View Post
Well, my obstacles is I don't want to travel in an RV with the guys at the table - I want to travel with my wife. How can I have her see and be in my dreams? Any insight via links or direct comments will be appreciated. Thanks all for such an informative site.
When I had a new girlfriend that I was pretty sure was the "one", I started this dialog early as well. One of the things that really impressed her was going to one of the big RV shows. It was the big one in Tampa in Jan for me.

http://www.frvta.org/rv-shows/florida-rv-supershow/

If not that one go to one of the other really big ones like Hershey PA. It should be a multi-day event with a huge circus like atmosphere....not those "pretend RV shows" put on by a couple of dealers in a large parking lot!

Seeing it as such a big, well planned event, made her express the sentiment something to the effect...... "Wow, I never knew it was such a big deal, so many people interested in this hobby!"

This was a turning point as before she had the impression that only a few obscure people liked doing this, and when she saw it as popular she was immediately more receptive to the idea. Could work for you too !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Larry,

We just joined the Class A world this last May. We still have to work for retirement is actually another 10 or more years away for us. Work makes it difficult to enjoying the open road. We started by renting. Go to RV shows and look around and see what the options are. Your wife will have a lot input into the coach she will want to be in and go from there. We are looking forward to our next trip(s)!!
Soxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags