Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #1

Hello I found this board while searching for info on rv tow vehicles. I am 37 year old male residing in western Canada at present. I am looking into buying my first RV/motor home and have found this forum to be a valuable source of information no matter what level of rv experience you may have.

Although this is will be my first motor home I am not unfamiliar to rv'ing as my grandparents always had a motor home or rv of some type for as far back as I can remember. I would go away with my grandparents frequently on both long and short trips. My grandfather owned his own business and the winter was his slow time so he would usually take a few months off and head south, usually down to Arizona to visit my Aunt.

From when I was about 7 or 8 I used to take these winter trips with my grandparents. When I would go along we usually waited till Christmas break from school began to minimize the classroom time I would miss. In all honesty I probably learned more in those few months on the road with my grandparents than I would the entire year at school. It is life experiences such as those that can not be learned in a classroom.

During these trips we all had our own duties. My grandfather would do all the driving as my grandmother had never had a driver's license, and I was not old enough to drive. My job would be navigator while driving and setting everything else up when at rv parks or whenever we stopped with the exception of the sewage hook-up which my grandfather would take care of. My grandmother did all the cooking and other grandmotherly things. We made a pretty good team.

It has been over 20 years since my last trip with my grandparents and both have passed away now. I really miss taking those trips though I always consider how lucky I was for all the experiences we shared while on the road together. I have since wanted to get an rv of my own and just hit the road, but there was always something preventing me from doing it, until now that is.

My mother moved out east and bought a b&b on a lake outside the city a few years ago. I have not been able to get out seeing her since she moved. I was going to go there for the winter as that is her slow time and would be able to spend some time together. Things have transpired that allow me to head out there sooner than planned so I will be leaving ASAP.

I figured it would be a good time to get that RV then I could take my time and see parts of the country I haven't seen before. I will be spending a lot of time in the RV so I am looking to get something roomy yet practical. It is just me and my 3 year old dog that will be going. Since I don't know when I am coming back I will be bring most of my belongings with me and getting rid of the rest which isn't much as I had gotten rid of a lot of stuff over the last few moves that I have made. Basically all I really need to get out there is my car, an older modified BMW that I have had for over 20 years and my Jeep Sahara, my daily driver that I would like to tow behind the MH.

My only other concern is getting a high speed internet connection so I can work. I have been looking at a satellite set up as it seems to be the most versatile and can pretty much get a connection in even the remotest areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #2

Hello I found this board while searching for info on rv tow vehicles. I am 37 year old male residing in western Canada at present. I am looking into buying my first RV/motor home and have found this forum to be a valuable source of information no matter what level of rv experience you may have.

Although this is will be my first motor home I am not unfamiliar to rv'ing as my grandparents always had a motor home or rv of some type for as far back as I can remember. I would go away with my grandparents frequently on both long and short trips. My grandfather owned his own business and the winter was his slow time so he would usually take a few months off and head south, usually down to Arizona to visit my Aunt.

From when I was about 7 or 8 I used to take these winter trips with my grandparents. When I would go along we usually waited till Christmas break from school began to minimize the classroom time I would miss. In all honesty I probably learned more in those few months on the road with my grandparents than I would the entire year at school. It is life experiences such as those that can not be learned in a classroom.

During these trips we all had our own duties. My grandfather would do all the driving as my grandmother had never had a driver's license, and I was not old enough to drive. My job would be navigator while driving and setting everything else up when at rv parks or whenever we stopped with the exception of the sewage hook-up which my grandfather would take care of. My grandmother did all the cooking and other grandmotherly things. We made a pretty good team.

It has been over 20 years since my last trip with my grandparents and both have passed away now. I really miss taking those trips though I always consider how lucky I was for all the experiences we shared while on the road together. I have since wanted to get an rv of my own and just hit the road, but there was always something preventing me from doing it, until now that is.

My mother moved out east and bought a b&b on a lake outside the city a few years ago. I have not been able to get out seeing her since she moved. I was going to go there for the winter as that is her slow time and would be able to spend some time together. Things have transpired that allow me to head out there sooner than planned so I will be leaving ASAP.

I figured it would be a good time to get that RV then I could take my time and see parts of the country I haven't seen before. I will be spending a lot of time in the RV so I am looking to get something roomy yet practical. It is just me and my 3 year old dog that will be going. Since I don't know when I am coming back I will be bring most of my belongings with me and getting rid of the rest which isn't much as I had gotten rid of a lot of stuff over the last few moves that I have made. Basically all I really need to get out there is my car, an older modified BMW that I have had for over 20 years and my Jeep Sahara, my daily driver that I would like to tow behind the MH.

My only other concern is getting a high speed internet connection so I can work. I have been looking at a satellite set up as it seems to be the most versatile and can pretty much get a connection in even the remotest areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV'ing and memories! There is nothing better.

Welcome aboard and feel free to jump in and ask when you think you need help. Feel free to provide input where you can.

Please keep coming back to fill us all in on your experiences and trips.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Xristos...
Welcome to iRV2! This does happen to be what I feel is the best RV forum on the web. I am sure you will continue to find the information you are searching for on this forum.
Please keep us updated on your progress!
Again...welcome to iRV2. Please visit & post often!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Xristos, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look foward to reading of your future RVing experiences and adventures. To make the best choice, you should take your time, do your homework and then decide. Start off with knowing where and how you will be using the RV. If you will have connections when you stop for more than a few hours or even a day. Unless you are going out many miles from the main highway you may find Verizon to have good enough broadband coverage for internet connectivity. I am sure you will enjoy this website and the RVing Lifestyle. Take care and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #6

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Xristos, Welcome to iRv.com
Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will tell you that I am totally new to Rv'ing and just purchased a Class A MH for my family and I to use during the spring and fall part-time and the summers full time. We purchased this unit as it allowed us to travel comfortably on long trips and set up on our own. To impose on family members for months at a time is stressful on all. Travelling with 2 adults, 2 young children and a dog gets very expensive to purchase airline tickets, hotel bills and restaurant bills year after year. A Class C we felt would be just too small for a family our size but for you and your 3 year old dog a Class C might be in the cards. If you are not looking for anything that large maybe you will have to look at a smaller TT that would fit your new lifestyle. It all depends upon your wants, desires and how much you want to spend. As for the high speed internet connection I know there are satellite systems available but I am not sure about how easy it would be to find the satellite when you stop for the night. Remember that many people posting in this forum are of US Citizenship and have different infrastructures available to them that we do not have in Canada or that I am aware of. Good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide and how the trip(s) go. Blake
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

Thank you all for the welcome, K-Star you sure have it right with the RV memories. Thinking back to those days I realize that they were some of the most memorable carefree times of my youth. It's like an itch that never goes away and something that has always been in the back of my mind over the years but never thought that the time was right, I always had something else going on in my life that prevented me from going. I see now that there is no time like the present and if I don't go now I could be putting it off forever.

Northern-Canadian it's nice to hear that you have the ability to take your whole family on the road with you. Those are memories that you and your kids will have forever. I know what you're saying about getting a C class as it will be just my dog (Buster) and myself most of the time and a class C is usually cheaper to buy more economical on fuel etc. than a class A. Although one of the main reasons that I am doing this right now is to visit my mom who I haven't seen in a few years, and summer being the busy time for her B&B will not have the room for me until fall/winter. So I will be living in it for months at a time and the extra room in a class A I feel will be somewhat more comfortable for longer periods of time.

I also don't know the length of time that I will be away and will be taking all of my belongings that will fit in the MH with me so the extra room of a class A will be beneficial. All that doesn't fit in the MH I will be getting rid of with the exception of my BMW which I will either be shipping out east by transport company or if at all possible towing behind me along with my Jeep. I have come across some double decker car haulers that would allow me to tow both vehicles at the same time though together may be too much weight. I will know more on the towing capacity once I have purchased the MH. I would also like to get a MH with a rear bedroom which is not always as easy to find in a class C.

As far as internet goes I feel satellite would be the way to go although most of the providers that I have come across do not have unlimited upload/downloads and overages make the monthly payments quite costly. I know that Bell Sympatico offers several mobile internet services one of which uses cell towers for the signal with a wireless modem so you are suppose to be able to get a connection anywhere in North America that you can receive cell signals as long as you have power for the modem. The only problem is that seeing that it is a new service/technology they haven't worked out all the bugs. I actually signed up for this last year when I moved and despite having 3 cell towers very close to me one being on the street over if I stood on my roof I could see it but I could not get a connection. It worked for half a day the day I first purchased it then nothing. I had full signal strength according to the modem and would even get an Ip address but still I could not connect. I tried with 4 separate computers and had them send me another modem all with the same result. After 6 weeks of troubleshooting and spending hours daily on the phone with tech support I still could not connect and had to go with another isp. I will keep you posted on what I find and let you know the results.

If any of you are ever in Northern Ontario (I will be approx. 2 hours east of Thunder Bay) hit me up we'll do some bbq. I should be there no later than the end of July.