Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
New member with tons of questions!

Hi from Michigan. My husband and I just went to an RV show and I got the rv bug. Trying to decide what type/style rv to go with. I found several travel trailers that I like, however am limited in towability as we have a 2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD seats 7 with 125,000 miles on it. My husband is on the cheap side and doesn't want to spend alot of money. (If he had his way we would never go anywhere or do anything ).
That said, my dilema is a travel trailer within the towability of the Volvo, or a C Class motorhome. Our home is on 19 acres so storage is not a problem. I have agreed to wait 2 years in order to pay off those pesky credit cards, but this has not stopped me from looking.
Travel would be the two of us plus an occassional couple with 2 children. If necessary, the couple and children could follow along in their own vehicle and stay in the trailer at the destination to cut down on the weight in the main vehicle. If we go alone we would probably bring the cats. Has anyone camped with cats? The heaviest dry weight trailer I am looking at weighs 3804. Would this be doable? I don't want to wreck the Volvo.
About 20 years ago (before the current husband) I borrowed a C Class motorhome and camped for a week and really enjoyed it. My current husband is an ASE certified GM technician so I thought a gas motorhome would be a good choice as he could do some of the mechanical maintenance on it himself to save some money. He knows nothing about diesels.
Any tips or suggestions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated and the advice would be highly valued.
Thank you for being here, and I look forward to meeting some new friends.

birdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Hi there! I am unfamiliar with this Volvo of yours. You need to do some homework, starting with the Volvo and the sticker that's usually inside the driver's door jamb. Write down the GVWR and the GCWR. These are the Gross Vehicle weight rating and the Gross Combined Weight Ratings. These numbers should tell you how much weight you can tow with your Volvo. Read up on them so you can figure it out. There's some info here in the Towing section on it. It sounds to me that you are considering a rather large trailer in order to sleep that many people. I might consider a 5th wheel and pickup truck to do it.

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome Birdnut. Personally, we were afraid of the towing, plus we would have had to buy a truck, so we went with a Class C for our first RV. With the overhead cab we could easily sleep 8 or more. Of course 5 of them were under 10 years old. lol It is an easy vehicle to drive. We full time now and have upgraded but we have our dog and cat with us and they love it. The other plus is, everybody can ride in the one vehicle and you can tow your Volvo. Good luck and hope you can get on the road sooner rather than later.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Birdnut and welcome to the forum. There's a ton of good info here; you might check out the Travel Trailer Owner's board and the Class C motorhomes board to ask specific questions about each. Obviously the key will be finding a trailer that can be towed by your Volvo, so determining the capabilities of your vehicle is your first step. IMO, a gently used Class C would be a good option.

Your biggest problem is going to be that your husband "doesn't want to spend a lot of money." RVing is a money pit, but worth it! Have fun with your search.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey and welcome,
If we were to do it over again we would go with the biggest we could afford. After tenting for many years we had to move up due to a car accident the DW had, so she could not sleep on the ground anymore. We started with a pop-up went to a TT and now a MH. Looking back we should have gone straight to the MH. Yes we had a lot of fun over the years, and learned much. But I think it would have been better.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Welcome to the forum. You will probably be better off with the C versus towing with what you have...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Birdnut, welcome to the forum. Good luck with your RVing plans. Your Volvo manual should tell you its towing limits.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're happy to have you! Good luck on finding just the right RV for you! Have fun & God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote