Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

New members preparing to go full time!

Howdy everyone! Tink here. My hubby and I have started the count down to our full time RV life. We currently are sharing WreckItRalph sign in because only one of us (me) will be doing any posting.

We are from Texas, and that will be our home base over the holidays in the future, so that we will be close to our boys and their families (well families at some point in the future - only one of them is engaged, and the other is finishing up high school this year and then off to college). I am a retiring home school mom, and my hubby will be retiring from the crazy world of management, and getting trained in RV inspection and repair. Once we hit the road, I say we are chasing 80, and he says 70. Even though we are starting this journey disagreeing about the perfect temperature, we do agree on our first destination, Florida, and we also agree on 1000 Trails.

I am looking forward to getting to know the RV community, and learning from those that have paved the road ahead of us. We are both full of questions, and excited to get started. Any suggestions on a good starting point? What is the best thread for 2 newbies that have bought a 5th wheel and have about a year and a half to be fully ready to leave Texas? We are currently living in the trailer part time as we prepare to sell our house.

Oh, and one last bit of introduction, WreckItRalph. Why we chose WreckItRalph is because of what we chose to name our 5th wheel, and its future companion (the truck we will buy before we hit the road). Our 5th wheel has a large V in the wood work over our couch. So, we knew we needed to pick a name that started with a V. Being the huge Disney fans that we are we naturally started our search in the wide world of Disney stories. Unfortunately, Tink was disqualified. No worries (Hakuna Matata), there is another character that is me to a 'T' (or should I say 'V'). Vanellope from Wreck It Ralph. She may be a princess, but she is happy just doing her own thing, she is definitely a tinker, and we come close on our sugar in take. Hers is probably 100%. Mine is only 90%. As for Ralph, well, that is a good match too, not only for my hubby, but for the truck we are looking for as well (a rough and tumble exterior, with a definite soft side for me).

Sorry for going long on the intro. I'm just really excited to have found a community of RVers that have come together to share the RVing journey.
WreckItRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new too and everyone has been helpful here. Though some answers must be found on your own.

I have been utilizing YouTube videos for general info and cross referencing it against others on YouTube and full timers blogs. I went this rout so i can ask better questions for my personal needs here.
RIPPER238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tink

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Let us know if we can help.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

We have been full timing for 5 years now and just recently joined this site. Do you have a plan in mind or goal for full timing? We plan to volunteer for a month or longer in each of the lower 48 states. So far we have completed 19 states and have 3 more states signed up. The reason for this plan was to encourage us to move forward and not get into the repeat rut. Also, volunteering keeps our expenses down and gets us involved behind the scenes. We have volunteered at State Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Habitat For Humanity, Core of Engineer Parks. To pay for our adventures, we work the sugar beet harvest driving a truck for a ND farmer and sell Christmas Trees in the Dallas, TX area. The 6 weeks of work earn about $15k toward our $20k year expenses.
Just throwing out some thought starters for you.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We have been full timing for 5 years now and just recently joined this site. Do you have a plan in mind or goal for full timing? We plan to volunteer for a month or longer in each of the lower 48 states. So far we have completed 19 states and have 3 more states signed up. The reason for this plan was to encourage us to move forward and not get into the repeat rut. Also, volunteering keeps our expenses down and gets us involved behind the scenes. We have volunteered at State Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, Habitat For Humanity, Core of Engineer Parks. To pay for our adventures, we work the sugar beet harvest driving a truck for a ND farmer and sell Christmas Trees in the Dallas, TX area. The 6 weeks of work earn about $15k toward our $20k year expenses.
Just throwing out some thought starters for you.
My husband has our first 2 or so years planned out pretty much. I know we are heading to Florida our first January on the road. By then my DH would have already completed his RV inspection and repairs training, and he is planning to do that as a mobile small business. Towards the end of the first summer, he plans to head up for the sugar beet harvest, and then to a work camping Amazon location. This is his basic plan for working. We will be changing the late winter, spring and summer locals up every year. As for the camping side of this life style, we are planning to do the top level 1000 Trails, plus some Harvest Hosts.
I would am still looking to find out more about 1000 Trails. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Also, I was searching the forums for some help with our Onan. Hubby has been trying to get it to stay running, but every time it heats up, it shuts down. Any direction to an appropriate post for that would be great as well.
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am excited to start finding my way around, and to hopefully start making new RVing friends.
WreckItRalph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, new member