Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #1

new motorhome owner help,

hello all
i purchased a 84 chevy 454 35ft coachman p30 frame ,drove it home sat . me and wife been cleaning inside walls , carpet , etc .i have replaced brake pads all the way around , pretty easy . i was surprised has rotors on front /rear . i also got one of the roof ac working and other needs freon . my next projects , how to run both a/cs units on top and frig traveling ? do you run generator or buy lots batteries plus large 5000 watt inverter or 200 amp altenator, does not have ac in dash .
thanks for any help or ideas ?
84coachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

I think a very large percentage of RVers run their generators and A/C while traveling. We don't because it's just the two of us... we both sit up front... and have a pretty good dash A/C. I don't believe you even want to think about getting enough batteries and large enough inverter to operate your A/C's while driving.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new rig. If you want to run the roof air, just run the generator. The generator needs to be run anyway, so way not use it to keep the coach cool, since you don't have dash air. Save your money for fuel instead of a lot of batteries, invertor, etc.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of my customers with class A's, would hang curtain rods behind the front captain's chairs. this keeps the cold air from the dash A/C in the front area. Some used clear shower curtains so they could see into the back.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just run your generator ,if you had cab AC it is still cheaper to run the genny instead of of losing MPG. The genny running uses less fuel than what you would use running cab AC. I noticed this when I had a gasser it does'nt seem to make that much difference with my DP.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #6

hello
thanks for help with a/c question , run generator to keep us cool and pets . i am hoping the two coleman roof top ac will keep us cool until we reach destinations .i will wire up the circuits of the 2 ac units seperate and frig to seperate the load on generator and have a transfer switch so can use campsites plug in .
thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #7

You may only be able to run 1 roof air at a time depending on the size of the gen and setup. Many older rv's and many new ones only allow one at a time. I had a 1994 Airstream MH which allowed one ac to operate at a time if plugged in (30 amp) but both if on gen as it had a 7kw gen.

Does the fridge not run on propane also?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #8

trying to keep cool 35ft coachman

hello
thanks for help, my generator is a 5,500 contious and 8000 startup . the rear ac is little smaller ,may draw 25 amps ,will check , front is bigger may draw 30 plus amps , will check , needs freon first . i found bad electrical connection yesterday , loose wire nut going to front ac unit .
thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84coachman View Post
hello
thanks for help with a/c question , run generator to keep us cool and pets . i am hoping the two coleman roof top ac will keep us cool until we reach destinations .i will wire up the circuits of the 2 ac units seperate and frig to seperate the load on generator and have a transfer switch so can use campsites plug in .
thanks
If your generator is 4,000 watts or less, it will only run one A/C. If it is a 5500 watt or more it will run two A/C,s