Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 11
New Rv-er

Hello - new to Rv life, but can't wait. Had a basic budget so my wife & I purchased a 1999 Sunnyvale 33 ft travel trailer. Looking now to purchase a truck to tow this beast. Started looking now for a f250 used. Any opinions whether an Ford Excursion will tow this trailer. Max trailer weight - 10,000 lbs. any other suggestions will be helpful.
__________________

__________________
iamdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,200
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Bruce C's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 5,099
If I remember right the Excursion is built on the f250 platform, if so you may be alright. But I'm not completely sure. In any case look in the drop down above [RV Forums] under towing and tow vehicles, you should get help there. Good luck.
__________________
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 11
Reply

Thx for the suggestion.
__________________
iamdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Myrtle Point, Oregon
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdf1 View Post
Hello - new to Rv life, but can't wait. Had a basic budget so my wife & I purchased a 1999 Sunnyvale 33 ft travel trailer. Looking now to purchase a truck to tow this beast. Started looking now for a f250 used. Any opinions whether an Ford Excursion will tow this trailer. Max trailer weight - 10,000 lbs. any other suggestions will be helpful.
We towed a 26 ft Nash (not sure of the weight) with a 1998 Ford Expedition. It was probably the limit, but the Excursion is larger. Our Expedition did have an OEM tow package. My dad used it to tow a 21 foot 1990's Komfort Lite.

Good Luck!
__________________
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Excursions were rated at 11000 pounds "when properly equipped" what ever that means. I do know that maxing or near maxing out your towing capabilities makes for an unpleasant towing experience. My first tow truck was a '14 GMC crew cab. It pulled the trailer but it was at it's limit and the truck had to work. New truck is a '16 super duty. There is no comparison. No matter what you get I recommend something that can pull at least 20% more that your trailers GVWR. Good luck.
__________________
MJArellano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
Check out the GCWR and rear axle capacity of the Excursion. As mentioned a bit more is better than not quite enough.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Myrtle Point, Oregon
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJArellano View Post
Excursions were rated at 11000 pounds "when properly equipped" what ever that means. I do know that maxing or near maxing out your towing capabilities makes for an unpleasant towing experience. My first tow truck was a '14 GMC crew cab. It pulled the trailer but it was at it's limit and the truck had to work. New truck is a '16 super duty. There is no comparison. No matter what you get I recommend something that can pull at least 20% more that your trailers GVWR. Good luck.
Can't complain about our F-350 Super Duty for towing our 5th-wheel. Diesel engine makes a huge difference.

"Properly equipped" most likely means the vehicle has a "tow package" whatever that means. I know, our Expedition had the package and it towed lighter trailers very well.
__________________
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
JerryP's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 208
What type engine in the Excursion?

You did not mention the engine type in your Excursion that your are considering. If it's the 6.0 liter diesel you might want to compare the reviews for the 6.0 and later year engines. I think the progression was 6.0, 6.4 and then 6.7. The 6.7 are Ford engines and have good reviews. The 6.0 was designed by Navistar and had a mixed reliability record. If it's a V10 Gas engine, those are very reliable. I have owned several of the V10 Gas engines in various motorhomes. I owned one SuperC RV with the 6.0 Diesel. I didn't own it long and never had an engine problem. But it was always a concern in the back of my mind. I paid for a Good Sam Extended Service plan in case it blew up.

Welcome to RVing.

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
__________________
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,400


Glad to have you here with us.

Happy Trails!!
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Myrtle Point, Oregon
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
You did not mention the engine type in your Excursion that your are considering. If it's the 6.0 liter diesel you might want to compare the reviews for the 6.0 and later year engines. I think the progression was 6.0, 6.4 and then 6.7. The 6.7 are Ford engines and have good reviews. The 6.0 was designed by Navistar and had a mixed reliability record. If it's a V10 Gas engine, those are very reliable. I have owned several of the V10 Gas engines in various motorhomes. I owned one SuperC RV with the 6.0 Diesel. I didn't own it long and never had an engine problem. But it was always a concern in the back of my mind. I paid for a Good Sam Extended Service plan in case it blew up.

Welcome to RVing.

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
Good advice! Our F350 is the new 6.7; Ford solved engine reliability problems by building their own diesel engines.

Our Expedition was the larger V8 gas; not sure of the displacement. I'm sure they don't put a V10 in these larger SUVs as they wouldn't meet EPA requirements (Expedition, Excursion, etc are classed as passenger vehicles so have stricter limitations for emissions and fuel economy). Our Expedition got 20 mpg avg (12-16 towing). Towing puts more demand on a vehicle in many ways. Another consideration is the transmission. I expect the "tow package" includes a different transmission (I'm not real good with automotive details)
__________________
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
According to Ford news releases by 2006 the Navistar 6 liter had the fewest complaints of any of their engines.

We live next door to a Ford HD tech. He says if you do regular maintenance on the engine, leave it stock and drive it sensibly the chances of it going away are very small. Most of the engines in question he works on have been chipped.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member, new to RV'ing and new to full-timing Serengeti New Member Check-In 25 02-18-2014 07:28 AM
Hi kids, we're new too---new snowbirds and new to rving suse1023 New Member Check-In 18 02-10-2014 02:43 PM
New from New Jersey. New Travel Trailer. BradWorld New Member Check-In 8 09-07-2013 11:07 AM
New NEW 2011 Thor Serrano 33A - new to MH world Bathe New Rig Show-Off! 11 09-03-2013 08:44 PM
New member/New MH/New Life. GrassShack New Member Check-In 30 07-18-2012 05:21 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.