Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congratulations ... wonderful choice!! We love ours and we love the service we've been receiving from AC. Like Jay says, if you have any questions don't be afraid. These rigs are way better in the snow than you probably think they are by the way, but, I'd rather not drive one in the snow unless it was absolutely necessary. Once the salt and slush gets "up underneath" it can cause lots of damage through corrosion so stay away from the White. Good luck and have fun.

Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe

Welcome to the club. We've had our share of warranty issues too. In a few weeks it'll be making it's third trip back to Decatur (the factory) for warranty repairs. Now we're down to the merely annoying rather than the infuriating. Just so you don't get the wrong idea, poor workmanship is endemic to the industry, it is not exclusive to Fleetwood/American Coach. The difference is how you're treated while trying to get things 'ship shape'. The American Coach service department have been good to work with.

Can't help on the snow question. I have no intentions of exposing myself to any more winter weather, nor to exposing the coach to road salt.
I have heard that taking it back to the factory is really common. I live in Southern California so it would be a huge trip for us. Do the repairs happen quicker and is it worth the "check out"?

Regarding the snow, we wanted to take the kids skiing in Mammoth and thought using the RV would be more fun than a hotel. As far as the salt goes, our unit was found in Ohio and delivered to us. HUGE rust issues. Does anyone else have any salt issues on the chassis? The "house" looks and smells new. The carriage seems to have been "sitting". We just had a o ring failure on our right rear axle. Had to have that and the brake shoes replaced (under warranty).

Being in California, I don't plan on using in any snow situations really. Just curious if the aqua hot units we have in the revs unlike the step up in the Tour will keep stuff from freezing.

One last question, curious to see how many of us looked at Revs VS the Tour. I found they were basically the same price out the door.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #17

Appalachian Campers
We looked at the Tour. I loved it but the Spartan Chassis sold us on the Rev.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRev11 View Post
I have heard that taking it back to the factory is really common. I live in Southern California so it would be a huge trip for us. Do the repairs happen quicker and is it worth the "check out"?

Regarding the snow, we wanted to take the kids skiing in Mammoth and thought using the RV would be more fun than a hotel. As far as the salt goes, our unit was found in Ohio and delivered to us. HUGE rust issues. Does anyone else have any salt issues on the chassis? The "house" looks and smells new. The carriage seems to have been "sitting". We just had a o ring failure on our right rear axle. Had to have that and the brake shoes replaced (under warranty).

Being in California, I don't plan on using in any snow situations really. Just curious if the aqua hot units we have in the revs unlike the step up in the Tour will keep stuff from freezing.

One last question, curious to see how many of us looked at Revs VS the Tour. I found they were basically the same price out the door.
There are probably dealers out there that are qualified to handle any warranty issues, but few, if any, have techs that are solely dedicated to the repair and maintenance of the American Coach brand. Today they're working on a Winnebago, tomorrow their trying to figure out some problem with your coach, something they've never seen before. At the factory service center they've got years of brand specific experience and the parts or materials to make any needed repairs. That said, I wouldn't drive from CA to eastern IN either, just for warranty work.

You should be able to use your coach in cold temps. There are heat strips on both sides coach, under the sink to protect the plumbing on that side (make sure the 'mystery plug' under the sink is plugged into one of the outlets, also under the sink, if you're venturing into freezing temps). The one on the fridge side is plugged in all the time, from the factory. I presume, but don't know, it is thermostatically controlled and not powered all the time). There's also a temp sensor in the water bay that will keep that area at or above 40 degrees. The Aqua Hot is a big improvement over the very noisy LP furnaces in our past rigs. We've not used the rig below the upper 30's so far, but we've been comfortible and have had plenty of hot water for showers and even laundry.

We saw, and loved, the Itasca 42QD (pretty much identical to the Tour 42QD). A snooty salesman put us off and we never pursued that possible choice far enought to get a price quote.

If you think the chassis has been exposed to road salt, you might consider a power wash.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #19

Hi & welcome. Good looking coach have fun in your new rig and stay safe.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #20

That was a great reply. I will check out the mystery plug tomorrow for sure. It seems like a lot of us looked at the Tour/Itasca as well. It seemed to have a few upgraded features, generator and aqua hot, but I like the woodwork and feel of the AC. Great description on the factory--very true. Our local dealership isn't so hot and they take a long time to work things out.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
congrats

congrats on new rig !! Looks Great ,