Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #1

Hi all, I'm new to the RV world and have been surfing here for a few days. We're looking at the Class C Jayco Greyhawk but I'm not finding a whole lot of info on these rigs, good or bad. What's the comparison between this RV and the Winnebago??? Right now hubby and I are looking for a clean, all around solid RV. We have 4 more years of kids in the house before we can hit the road hard. We're currently negotiating with the salesman for a great end of the year blow-out price, and today's the deadline for the decission. Please post something asap....lol. Much appreciated.

Merri

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #2

Hi all, I'm new to the RV world and have been surfing here for a few days. We're looking at the Class C Jayco Greyhawk but I'm not finding a whole lot of info on these rigs, good or bad. What's the comparison between this RV and the Winnebago??? Right now hubby and I are looking for a clean, all around solid RV. We have 4 more years of kids in the house before we can hit the road hard. We're currently negotiating with the salesman for a great end of the year blow-out price, and today's the deadline for the decission. Please post something asap....lol. Much appreciated.

Merri

Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome spkncarl to irv2
The Jayco's have had a good reputation over the years don't see where you can go wrong. Our first MH was a class C and we and kids had alot of fun in it easy to handle and park downtown.
Had twin beds, big one over cab and coach. The baths was small and it can be a bit tight in rainy weather the coach that is.
Winne's may run for a bit more money but to get your feet wet in RVing you can't go wrong with your choice.
Good luck in what ever you do and come back and give us some pics and if we can be of help we are here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco and Winnebago both have good reputations for the class C's. WE had a 1999 Mininw Winnie DL and had very few problems. couple of things that will be of concern with any larger class C is the CCC or Cargo Carrying Capacity. With the larger C's, the weight is pretty high before you add anything else. Ours (no slide) was 13,950# with empty waste tanks, 1/4 tank of fresh water, full propane, full fuel and loaded for a 2 week trip with me and the copilot on board.

On the Ford chassis, you will find that the cab floor is a bit hot as the engine and exhaust have little clearance with the floor. I had to add extra floor insulation (had zero) and line the engine cover.

Also, with thelarger bodoes on thr E-450, the suspension is pretty well maxed out. I added Bilstein shocks and IPD USA anti-roll bars to control the excessive body roll or bump steer. This does not bother some folks, but I like a nice firm and tight ride.

Having had 2 class A's and the class C, I would get a small class A over the C. Several companies make a nice smaller class A and the chassis are better designed as an RV chassis than the class C chassis.

Just some of my thoughtrs and welcome to IRV2, hope to see you around a lot.

Ken
Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #5

Thank you for the information and I will take what you said into consideration. Obviously we did not get the RV today as the salesman didn't want to play ball. Their end of the year, blow-out price was shy of 19% off MSRP. Um, I thought we could do better than that. I'll keep doing my research in the meantime. Again, thanks for the help and hope to see you around too.

Merri
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Merri, you should be able to get closer to 25% off MSRP on a new coach.

We have bought a couple of RV's as new and some used. You can get a much nicer gently used unit for the same or less money and not suffer the severe depreciation you get on a new unit.

If you start looking a used, check NADA Guides for approximate pricing. If you are new to RVing and look at used, be sure to spend a couple of hundred dollars and have a certified RV technician (form an independent source) look it over.

Also, if you have never RV'd you would do well to rent a unit for a week and see how well you and the spouse do in close quarters.

On thing my wife has learned is to tell the sales person to get lost and you spend an hour or so sitting in the RV. Pretent to fix a meal and see where you would put dishes, flatware, food and such. See where you would get dressed and get ready in the morning or get ready for bed. Some of the units are really short on drawer space and have really smal showers or poty rooms. See if there is room for the lawn chairs, fishing gear (if you fish) and any thing elese that you need to spend some time on the road.

If you get a motorhome, are you going to tow a car (dingy), flat (or 4-down) or use a dolly. You wil need a car that can be towed and a hitch and a dinghy brake system as the gas motorhome chassis have a towed limit of about 1500# before you need brakes on the dinghy.

DO not give up andfal in love wit the first unit you see. There are plenty of good new and used RV's out there. I have a feeling that the salesman will be calling you back in a few days to check your interest. If you are interested in the coach, I'd shot a number at him at 30% of MSRP and see if he will come down to 25%. Does not hurt to try.

Have fun looking.

Ken
Old 12-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you find yourselves looking at Winnebago's or Itasca's, take a look at the View or Navion models. Small but economical (Mercedes diesel engines). We've enjoyed ours for more than a year.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Merri, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will like both the website and forum. You will find we are a group of fun lovig RVers that like to help each other where we can. If you have any questions just ask. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 AM   #9

Jayco GreyHawk has a good reputation.

Minnie Winne, Phoenix Cruiser, BigFoot and Lazy Daze are other Class C with very good reputation.
Monoco has come out with a new Class C in their Safari/Holiday Rambler line.
Safari Damara and Holiday Rambler Augusta

And I LOVE the interior of the Itasca Navion and Winnebago View

I found one of the best ways to gauge performance is to lurk and join the Class C club you are interested in (Google to find)

Lots of great information from owners

HAPPY NEW YEAR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spkncarl:

Merri </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote