Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
I can't see how you can decide on a gasser over a diesel other than by cost. If you can afford a diesel, get a diesel, period. Noise level, ride, torque - diesel beats the pants off a gasser. If your diesel is leaking, you've got a problem that needs to be addressed. It doesn't matter how many or few miles you drive, diesel is the way to go if you can afford it. I have been RVing most of my life. Tents, Pop ups, TT's, Class C's, now a DP. None compare to the DP. The only reason I didn't get one earlier was I couldn't afford it.
Thats an Off The Wall statement. LOL, The DP is worth its price, but sometimes it is hard to justify that worth. In three years we have only put in 5k miles. When its parked at a campground for 6-9 months at a time the inside living is what matters. We sometimes wonder if we would be better off with a 5th wheel, but the draw back there is the tow vehicle. My DW doesn't want to drive such a large vehicle as her primary tranportation. We do plan on upgrading to a DP when we start traveling with the MH on a much more frequent basis.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the best RV'ing site in the world!!! We have not starting anything near full-timing yet, but we get out quite often for extended weekends and about 3-4 week long or longer excursions.

Personally, I would recommend looking at "pre-enjoyed" coaches for your first purchase. The prices are so good right now and you can then decide if you truly like it and additionally, you will be able to decide what things that you like or dislike about the current coach that you own and get a feel for what your ultimate dream retirement coach will be.

We started small and worked our way up to a previous coach, a 38 foot gas coach. That was sufficient for us for years, but then we wanted to travel further and for longer periofds of time and hubby really wanted a diesel. We almost purchased a later model gas because the newer gas engines are quite good.

As many have mentioned...it is all about floor plans and wht makes you happy. Remember if Mama is happy then everyone is happy...

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Faith and Bob

PS. We put up a folding wooden gate in our previous coaches that blocked the door so that the pups would not come near the door as we entered and exited. It also kept them safe from tumbling down the open stairwell in the dark...

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Thats an Off The Wall statement. LOL, The DP is worth its price, but sometimes it is hard to justify that worth. In three years we have only put in 5k miles. When its parked at a campground for 6-9 months at a time the inside living is what matters. We sometimes wonder if we would be better off with a 5th wheel, but the draw back there is the tow vehicle. My DW doesn't want to drive such a large vehicle as her primary tranportation. We do plan on upgrading to a DP when we start traveling with the MH on a much more frequent basis.
It doesn't seem that you're dis-agreeing with me

All I was trying to say is that I see others here trying to rationalize a gasser over a DP with reasoning other than the gasser is cheaper. Bottom line, if you have the money, you would buy a DP. I'm not trying to put anyone down. It took me a VERY long time to be able to get a DP. But at no point in that long journey did I ever think that a gasser was a "better" choice. It just was my only choice.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #18

First timer here, I mean to this site. I have been camping my whole life, first in tents, pop-ups, on motorcycles with a pull behind. Two years ago we bought our first "self contained", a toyhauler, 19Ft with all the "basics". Due to the fact we both we able to retire young (no, not rich, just a choice), we wanted to do a 'across the country' trip. It became clear quickly our pull behind toyhauler had some important limitations for such a trip so we moved up to our 25' Shasta Sprite, last June. The point being, determine what kind of traveler you plan to be in the next two years, how much time are you planning on spending in your RV, will you plan to visit little towns, (size and manuverablity issues). You may want to start by renting a smaller unit for a week, then try a class A, like a lot of people, you may NOT want to start with the largest RV, until you have a bit of experience. By the way, have a ball, I know we are!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #19
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you read this thred Hubby said...OOPS!!!!

I chose to go small hoping to avoid such headaches
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
It doesn't seem that you're dis-agreeing with me

All I was trying to say is that I see others here trying to rationalize a gasser over a DP with reasoning other than the gasser is cheaper. Bottom line, if you have the money, you would buy a DP. I'm not trying to put anyone down. It took me a VERY long time to be able to get a DP. But at no point in that long journey did I ever think that a gasser was a "better" choice. It just was my only choice.
Offthewall. I was not disagreeing with you. Just giving my perspective. I love your screen name. I'll bet that could be real conversation starter. Sorry for the late reply, was away from the computer for a few days.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #22

Robyn, Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to learn. All you have to do is ask and you will get an answer. Good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

I guess I will throw in my 2 cents here. First off welcome to IRV2 where you will find all your answers that has to do with RVing and some that don't.

I have been traveling in a motorhome since 1989 and started out with a 24' Class C and then went to a 31' Class C and now have a 33' Class A and have totally enjoyed our experiences. I had driven buses and knew how to handle oversized vehicles plus I have over a million miles under my belt. That said unless you both are familiar with driving a big vehicle I would try renting one first before buying You may want to start in a class C motorhome first. There are some nice ones that have slides,etc.

Then you may want to consider a gas Class A unit rather than a diesel one as number one a diesel unit is more expensive to buy, diesel fuel is more expensive than gas (diesels get roughly the same mpg as gas units) and finally they are more expensive for maintainence such as oil changes and all the filter changes.

To also answer a question about that diesels pull better than a gas unit well my 8.1l gas engine will pull up any hill I let it, in fact last year we went to Alaska and it pulled, towing a car, up a 10% grade with no problem.

If you intend to use the motorhome in the winter than additives have to be used as diesel fuel gels in cold weather plus you usually have to plug them in to keep block warm.

Again it is your choice but we always try to look before we leap into something. Good luck and if I personally can be of help email me.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome from another newbie! We just purchased our 2002 Itasca Suncruiser in July this year. Its a gasser. We wanted to hold costs down on our first MH. We love it! Like other people have said, the floorplan is important, but so are its amenities. Think about what features are important to you. We researched for a year and a half. There are some great deals out there. Take your time!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #25

Hi & welcome. NJS42 statements are real good, take your time and have fun doing it. I am a disabled Vet and we look at many, bought 38 ' Itasca Suncruser Gas and travel as much as the VA let me. Good luck happy hunting stay safe