Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
New to Forum and Boy did I buy a project :)

Hi All,

It's been a couple years since in an RV, we rented a 32' motorhome and went from Seatle to Boston, had a great time. And its been about 5 years since we have owned an RV and that was a travel trailer. My business is slow right now so I decided to take on a challenge so my wife and I could enjoy a big coach using sweat equity.

My project is something I just picked up on Ebay, 1999 Newmar London Aire 45'. The interior had a fire in the bedroom and bathroom but the damage is all repairable/replaceable and no damaged reached anything outside. My goal is to breath new life into this coach.

First step in my journey is to pick up the RV in texas then travel through Elkhart IN on my way back to NH. Not sure what I will find in Elkhart but I hoping on some stuff.

Off we Go!

Attached Images
File Type: bmp front drivers.bmp (1.20 MB, 279 views)
File Type: bmp interior bedroom 2.bmp (1.22 MB, 264 views)
File Type: bmp interior bathroom.bmp (1.22 MB, 214 views)
File Type: bmp interior front to back.bmp (1.22 MB, 220 views)

Nvrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Since you have so much work to do in the bedroom area have you thought about putting in a slide?

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
adding a slide out

you know I never even thought about adding a slide, I know they were available in the 2000 models, but I would not even know where to start.

I am guessing I would need a donor, and restructure the side. I like the idea of more room though
Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rich and Welcome to the Forum!

I remember seeing that coach for sale and thinking the same as you thought - a bit of work and you get a VERY nice coach.

Best of luck to you and be sure and keep us updated (WITH PICS!) of how it all turns out.
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome and BOY what a PROJECT to start with!!!!!

The rest of it looks GREAT I see why you decided it could be worth the effort. Gotta show some work in progess and finished photo's.
1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to know, please how much did you have to give? Looks beautiful and as long as no major wire harness issues it will be real nice! How much? Oh sorry already asked that.
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Rich, enjoy your project and your coach when it's done.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.......Rich, what a beautiful coach, you will be proud of this one for a long time, nothing like sweat equity.
BTW, welcome to IRV2, and like OP said don't forget to share the repair process with all of us. Enjoy and travel safe.
David G.
USAF 1959-1963/ JFK Innaguration parade 1961,
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y, 460 ENGINE on FORD chassis, Power Platform with Tag Axle.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and support. I am a big fan of build threads so I will start a new post in the right location as I start the rebuild and updated as I go through the process.

As I have not had any real time to look over the damage, I can only hope it's just as documented. My company renovates apartment building so there is not much that surprises or overwhelms me, at least that's the attitude I am taking with this project

4knights, If you really want to know how much I paid it is out there. You will have to do a little work but that info can be found on ebay under completed auctions.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
I also saw this listing on eBay. Did you actually purchase this coach once you saw it in person? If so I have some questions about it, and would appreciate a response to may regular email.
garydj8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
im new here also with an engine fire damaged 34 ft 1990 gs sun sovereign. we have pretty much sorted it out and hoping to have it running next week.....good luck with your project...if your heading into elkhart, there are a few places around that area that buy up the end of production stuff and resell.....check out online and theres one in white pigeon MI also thats not far from elkhart....i used to haul trailers out of there, so ive been into a few of the surplus stores around there....you can find some decent stuff....just depends on what you need.
smuff168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know they were available in the 2000 models
Newmar offered slides in their Type A MH's starting in 1991 and their 5th wheels before that.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rich, and welcome to IRV2! Boy, you've taken on a task that I would never have nerve to do, but as you say, it will be well worth the effort! Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
For me, there would be enough room in a 45-footer not to have to worry about a slide! I'd have a hard time finding someplace to park it, though.

Good luck with your project, Rich. You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote