Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Cool New to forum, going to be in the 5th wheel club!

Hey All,
I'm new here to this forum. I like to browse around and found a RV site I can visit ever now and again. We are looking for our first 5th wheel here in a while. I just got a brand new 2011 Dodge 3500, dually so I can pull about anything on the market.
My wife isn't the type to rough it so it's going to be up to me to break her into camping. (I've gone since I was a kid w/ my parents in everything from a tent to a 32' tow behind.) I used to be in the military for 13 yrs. then went into trucking so pulling a 5th wheel isn't going to present much of a problem..
We are looking at the high end 5th wheels. (we both want somthing to last and to hold up to traveling cross country...) We just loved Carriage (now they're bankrupt).. So I am looking at Newmar, DRV, Redwood & maybe KZ escalades..
Any thoughts, likes, dislikes, or questions please feel free to jump in and say hello! I hope to have more posts, stories, and even be able to help pass along any knowledge I have.. I hope you can help me pick a nice 5th wheel.. I know I will have questions..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Just watch the pin weight.
Good luck with the truck.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Just watch the pin weight and buy used. Some of those higher end 5th's are pretty heavy. Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gonzo! Welcome to IRV2! Good luck on finding exactly the right 5er for your needs and wants! Happy trails & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and Welcome Gonzo! I used to live and work in Clayton. Now in Zebulon. Good luck with getting the rig you want and hope you enjoy your RVing as much as we all do. When you get set up join the Carolina Campers. We try to camp at least once a month in different areas of the state.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the pull anything on the market.....well, within reason, depending on how the truck is set up.

As noted, high end 5er are heavy and some are beyond the ratings of your truck. I do hope you got the 4.10 axle option.

as for you listed manufacturers, I do not consider the Redwood in the same class as Newmar and DRV.

Have fun shopping. I also vote on a gently used RV over a new one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Gonzo and welcome. Good luck in your RV search.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome -Gonzo-. No need for the wife to "rough it". With the right 5ver (and it seems like you're looking in the right direction) she'll be staying in a luxury suite that you'll park in many different beautiful places. Roughing it is what I did in the Army. Now I'm "Roughing It Smoothly".
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Welcome -Gonzo-. No need for the wife to "rough it". With the right 5ver (and it seems like you're looking in the right direction) she'll be staying in a luxury suite that you'll park in many different beautiful places. Roughing it is what I did in the Army. Now I'm "Roughing It Smoothly".
I was not sure that I could sell my Princess on the idea of RV travel. After she saw the interiors of some decent units, she warmed up to the idea.

Then I mentioned that she would have to go shopping for all the kitchen, bath, and bedroom stuff.................................

Totally Sold on the idea.

(Any excuse to go to Bed Bath and Beyond)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the flowers and suggestions! I am definitely looking @ a nice gently used 5th.

I just threw Redwood in my list of rv's we have looked at because we saw a couple of them on a dealers lot. They look nice but you are right, upon further exam of them I am scared of their "Falcon" frame (made by Lippert), & along with the other specs. Mentioned here have me crossing them off the list.

I'll look at my P/U load specs when I get home. I do know I have the truck rated to pull a 24,700 lb. trailer. Not sure yet about pin weight...
Thanks everyone!
Be back soon!
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Horn, DRW, longbed, 4x4, 4:10rear, pullrite 25.5K hitch.
Shopping for that just right 5th wheel..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum and good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending where you want to travel can make a impact on the 5th wheel end up chosing. You got the right truck to tow a heavier trailer, however if your doing lots of travel in more mountonous terain you might want to not go that heavy, or if you like to go to national parks you might want a shorter unit as many sites wont acomodate big rigs. I've looked at many of the manufacturers and i like many of the Keystone products, the Montana's are nice rigs and then the Big Sky's are high end.
randyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome....
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, kz-rv