Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
New to iRV2 Forums - FULL TIMING our 4th MONTH

Hello fellow RVers

My wife Mary who served as RN in the Air Force and I, a Chemical Engineer, have been RVing part time, gradually increasing our trips every year for just the past 4 years. We started with an older Nash 25R bought in Junction City Oregon. Mary was working in Corvallis Oregon at the time. Now we live in a new Airstream, but I will come back to that soon....

We are based in Laguna Niguel CA ; actually Mary is from Long Beach CA and I transferred from Connecticut to Dana Point CA 20 years ago from East Coast. We married in 2006 give or take a few years.

Our first camping and RV experiences are in Southern Oregon, Eastern Oregon, the Columbia River in Eastern Washington and Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Our first two favorite campsites were Indian Mary Campground right near the source of the Rogue River not far from Crater Lake and another on Lake Coeur d'Alane. So beautiful !!!. Still our two top places to camp.

(During the previous 4 years , 2011 to 2015, I worked for a Chinese company which brought me to China every 2-3 months. I worked out of the house in California and later on out of the travel trailer when I was not in China. Mary quit her excellent job in Health Insurance and started her real estate brokerage in 2007, give or take a year or two. She is now a successful RE broker in CA, WA and North Dakota).

We explored southern Utah, Durango CO, Sedona AZ and Show Low AZ in the Nash 25R during the second year. Last year we traveled through Arizona , New Mexico and up to Denver on a 1 month work assignment, then we went summer time mountain biking in a few of the Colorado ski resorts. (We both like the thrill of the single track).

Last July I took a full time engineering job in Covington Louisiana. (If anyone is interested in our perspective of the culture and people in Northlake area of Louisiana - which is very positive - we can go into this in a future post). We put the Nash trailer in storage and rented a house on Lake Ramsey LA for 9 months. We got tired of having a landlord, which doesn't go well with 4 dogs, so 3 months ago we started full time living in the Airstream on a 2 acre grass lot in southern Louisiana while I work full time. (We had lots of troubles attempting to drive and tow through mud during the current rainy season. This subject can be covered in future blog if anyone is interested. You can call it "how to tow a F250 pulling a 30 ft new Airstream through 100 ft of mud...)

In June we traded in the old Nash 25 footer for a new Airstream Classic 30 ft which we live in now with our 3 dogs. This is very comfortable living - not too small and just right for us. We both find full timing very relaxing.

Good news - I will be completing my current work assignment on September 1 so we resume our travels shortly.

Bad news - I am unemployed and we had planned on continuing full time income. I guess things will work out; either I get another Chemical Engineering job or switch careers altogether.

We plan to travel the southeast for the next few months - the Carolinas, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and up to Southampton on Eastern Long Island where I grew up. Let me know if anyone finds any of this to be of interest and we can chat along. Happy trails !!

PS the picture shows our brand new Classic parked on the Pacific at the famous Doheney beach Campsite in Dana Point CA. Yes we bought the Airstream in California. In May drove the Nash from Covington LA to the Airstream dealer in Huntington Beach CA where we bought our Classic. The we drove the Classic back to Covington LA taking the upper route.

TravelinNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing your story.

I particularly enjoyed the statement, " We both find full timing very relaxing. " I hope this is my wife and I soon.

It sounds like you have the right attitude for just about anything and I wish you much more success in the future.

1998 Tioga Class C
400 amp/hrs solar, Trimetric
Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches! BTW, there was no picture!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote